What video/board games have you been playing recently?

katakatica

I remember there was a similar topic ages ago, but as I fall down the rabbit hole of gaming more and more, I can't help but wonder (mostly because I want to play new stuff, but...!)

Recently, I finally finished Hollow Knight (yes, I'm playing years-old games!) and got really into Hades. I tried Elden Ring and gave up immediately... I also found an odd but fun gem, Dandy Ace (but honestly, it's not as good as Hades.) 

As for board games, I'm finishing up one of the Arkham Horror extensions, right in time for a new one to be arriving! We only have... 2 more to play before that!

So yeah, when you have the time, what do you play? 

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Great topic, I remember the last one! Well, in my case..I try to focus mostly on singleplayer/ story focused games, but recently I started to play a few more battle royales, more specifically Apex Legends and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodhunt. Keeps the heart pumping I guess.

When it comes to singleplayer games, I didn't have that much time recently. I am trying to finish the LEGO Star Wars Skywalker Saga, Forza Horizon 5, Outriders, and also got Dune Spice Wars recently. Very excited about the last one, as a Dune fan myself. I also play No Man's Sky once a week if I can, just to explore new planets, find new creatures, etc. Not really a base building dude myself :))

I don't really play board games so.. I can't comment on that. 

Speaking of Elden Ring, I finished Sekiro and I know these games are a drag, so even if I do own it, I am waiting for a break or something to really play it properly. You do need a certain mood to die, die and die again :))

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 38
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Stranded Deep. You crash land on a deserted island, have to survive and ultimately escape. Really enjoyed this.

5 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

No Man's Sky

Still trying to find the time to fully get into / learn this game. If I only play every couple of weeks when I can carve out some time I find I've forgotten most of what I learned last time. I'm still on my starting planet (I think!).

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Stranded Deep. You crash land on a deserted island, have to survive and ultimately escape. Really enjoyed this.

Still trying to find the time to fully get into / learn this game. If I only play every couple of weeks when I can carve out some time I find I've forgotten most of what I learned last time. I'm still on my starting planet (I think!).

Oooh I really like the sound of Stranded Deep! I might play that next. 

Recently I've been playing Days Gone, and on my list to play are Red Dead Redemption II, and Elden Ring. Desperate to try Elden Ring but I know if I start playing I probably won't stop. 

• Like 36
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

16 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Seems there are more survival game fans here than I thought. I did start to play Icarus, which was heavily promoted to me by someone. And yeah, this one is more survival focused than others, with skill trees, missions, etc. I like No Man's Sky mainly because you have tons of planets and you never really know what planets or animals you find next. I never played Stranded Deep, I am pretty sure that one got abandoned by the devs or something. 

• Like 32
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, sarahcmcooper said:

Red Dead Redemption II,

This is a beautiful game, I lost days of my life to it, don't even need to follow the story, just spend the day riding around taking in the world. Very chilled.

2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Seems there are more survival game fans here than I thought

Yep, love this genre!

• Like 32
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

Yep, love this genre!

We might have to play some of these in coop. I usually play survival games alone, and that mostly has to do with my Fiverr schedule, most of my friends don't like the genre and they can't keep up with my schedule lol.

Red Dead is really cool, yes, I had a hard time finishing it because I mostly ride around and explore the world. 

I do recommend you to play God of War, the 2018 one, even if you have a PC and not a console, the PC version came out this year.

• Like 31
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:10 PM, katakatica said:

I tried Elden Ring and gave up immediately... 

I will hunt you down untill you enjoy it properly!

On 5/7/2022 at 11:38 PM, donnovan86 said:

I try to focus mostly on singleplayer/ story focused games,

I think its mentioned already, but try Red Dead Redemption 2. It deserves a second mentioning.

And if you own a playstation(I think its avalible for pc too) Try God of War too. Unlike the old ones just being hack&slash, this one is more slow paced action adventure. Like sekiro but Its Norse gods. New one will be coming out too. God of War is like the "Logan" movie of x-men. Really good, i really enjoyed it. Has difficulty adjustments too if you unlike the challange of souls series.

AND i dont know why i didint mention before, please play Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. That is a great dark atmoshperic, puzzle solving action adventure, with some horror sprinkled in. New one will be coming too. Its about a nordic woman who has schizophrenia, involves viking lore and gods of old. Extremely good game with a unique idea. Definetly recommended. If you cant play it, watch some youtubers or something. That game was really inspirational for me.

And if anyone is looking for goofy skeleton action, the old game(really old) "Medievil" is remastered. Its like a halloween movie. Really enjoyable.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozan_erdi said:

I will hunt you down untill you enjoy it properly!

On 5/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, donnovan86 said:

I swear I'll give it another try! My controller skills have gotten much better with Hades (and Hollow Knight) but I still refuse to buy it, so I'm going to have to wait a bit (as my boyfriend has it but he's still traumatized from the way I played before...)

1 hour ago, ozan_erdi said:

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

Now THIS I want to play! It looks awesome (and sounds like the type of story I'd love, to be honest!

20 hours ago, sarahcmcooper said:

Stranded Deep

This also sounds very interesting to be honest (though it DOES seem to be stuck in early access, which is a bit of a shame. If I hit my writing goal this week (a bit of motivation) I'll be picking up some escape room board games from the fancy book/game store this weekend (which could probably end up being similar-ish. 

Unfortunately the next three-four weekends are full though, so I have no idea when I'll be able to play o.o

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Help! Just about to complete Assassin's Creed: Odyssey... The 3rd time! Next: Far Cry6

I love interactive games with good story & side quests where the actual ending is determined by your past decisions. You can easily replay the game, change your decisions and it will feel new. 

• Like 25
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, katakatica said:

though it DOES seem to be stuck in early access, which is a bit of a shame.

That's why I avoided it. I usually try to play finished Survival games, many of them are in the Early Access limbo and it becomes a pain to play. Thankfully there are lots of finished games too lol

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I tried playing video games way back when Super Mario Brothers was new. I began in the evening and played until 2 in the morning, yet I could not pass level one. That experience made me swear off playing video games until my granddaughter talked me into playing ROBLOX with her. That lasted for one or two rounds. Then I gave up.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

That experience made me swear off playing video games

That's a bit sad, but in it's own way somewhat of a good thing. As you noticed, they can be a BIG time sink, and there are so many other forms of exciting and/or therapeutic entertainment out there!

I will say, since you've had two strikes already, and if you're willing to give electronic games one last chance, to make it a visual novel OR a puzzle game (WITH NO TIMER). I'm basing this on the knowledge that you're a reader/writer, which usually means you go at your own pace, and probably would prefer to 'stick a bookmark' in when needed, and to reduce/eliminate the need for quick reflexes.

As for which I'd recommend, you'll have to give me a bit, as I'm just starting supper, and will have to think on it.

---

(As for my current game, I'm still playing Oxygen Not Included at a very slow pace. Other things have been taking priority.)

• Like 26
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Final Fantasy XIV, because it's a far-away friend's favourite. I'd like to play a game I'm translating for, but it's a complex one, and between work and running around getting food to people dear to me quarantined with COVID, and fresh clothes to a relative in hospital, there's little time. Doing all that by public transport, I can hang out on the forum, though. Maybe I should get into mobile gaming, but I fear that would send my mobile internet to a crawl too soon.

• Like 26
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, miiila said:

between work and running around getting food to people dear to me quarantined with COVID, and fresh clothes to a relative in hospital,

You are a good person and I am sure your friends appreciate you.

Instead of video games I enjoy putting  jigsaw puzzles together.

• Like 23
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I enjoy putting  jigsaw puzzles together.

Hm, that could count as

On 5/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, katakatica said:

board games

There's a manga/anime character, Near, in Death Note, who does white ones... you can actually buy those, so in case you feel like needing more challenging, or more boring ones... 😅

image.jpeg.e3a5848963fb2d664e524320cabc422b.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, miiila said:

There's a manga/anime character, Near, in Death Note, who does white ones... you can actually buy those, so in case you feel like needing more challenging, or more boring ones... 😅

1542327866_ScreenShot2022-05-10at11_31_34AM.png.3bd31da403d0d0de47bd8d138c05cbb2.png

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 19
  • Haha 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

@donnovan86 I blame you completely. I've lost 30 hours since Sunday to no mans sky. I got into it! I was being so good, bed by 11, up at 7, and it's all ruined 🤣.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, katakatica said:

though it DOES seem to be stuck in early access

I don't remember experiencing anything that made it a bad experience. It was also pretty cheap I think, about 10 or 15 dollar. 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, donnovan86 said:

play some of these in coop

great idea! I use PS4 though...

• Like 22
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Battleship. In this two-person game of strategy, players secretly arrange their ships on a lettered and numbered 10x10 grid and then try to locate and destroy their opponent's fleet. ...
Risk. ...
Stratego. ...
Axis & Allies. ...
Chess. ...
Backgammon. ...
Checkers. ...
Chinese Checkers.

• Like 20
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1