I'm alive

rabihumakhan

Checking in to see if everyone's doing alright. 

Well, I'm from a place in Pakistan that's been the worst affected from the recent flooding where almost the whole valley disappeared from the face of the earth. 

Dozens of deaths and properties and crops worth millions of dollars were the main effects of the flood; however, life's been coming back to normal slowly with people searching for shelters and food all around. 

There was a complete black out for around 5 days and limited internet/mobile internet facility for like 10 days. 

OK, how's everyone out there? Y'all getting regular works? 

• Like 17
  • Sad 3
  • Up 4

1 hour ago, rabihumakhan said:

Well, I'm from a place in Pakistan that's been the worst affected from the recent flooding where almost the whole valley disappeared from the face of the earth. 

Dozens of deaths and properties and crops worth millions of dollars were the main effects of the flood; however, life's been coming back to normal slowly with people searching for shelters and food all around. 

There was a complete black out for around 5 days and limited internet/mobile internet facility for like 10 days. 

What a thoughtful post.  When you strip away all of the spammy crap on this forum, it's good to see a bit of humanity remains.  I hope you're ok?

• Like 13

On 9/10/2022 at 5:06 AM, rabihumakhan said:

I'm from a place in Pakistan that's been the worst affected from the recent flooding where almost the whole valley disappeared from the face of the earth. Dozens of deaths and properties and crops worth millions of dollars were the main effects of the flood; however, life's been coming back to normal slowly with people searching for shelters and food all around. There was a complete black out for around 5 days and limited internet/mobile internet facility for like 10 days. 

It really does put things into perspective, doesn't it?

I'm really sorry to hear about the lives lost in your community and country, as well as the damages to homes, livelihood, property, and infrastructure. UN Chief Antonio Guterres described the flooding as an unparalleled "climate carnage" requiring immediate global support and over $30-billion in damage repair. The devastation is really staggering. 😟

My heart really goes out to all the Pakistani sellers on the platform. I saw many posts on the flooding initially, but it has been really quiet right now. I really hope everyone is okay.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, vickieito said:

UN Chief Antonio Guterres described the flooding as an unparalleled "climate carnage" requiring immediate global support and over $30-billion in damage repair.

Yes, This is a sad event. But when the politicians start talking you have to do some digging as to how their words mean $$$$$$$$$ for them to hire their relatives to mitigate the damage. 

I looked up the data on the numbers of people killed in Pakistan in floods for the last 72 years.

Just in the last 72 years Pakistan has seen many floods. These include:

• The flood of 1950, which killed 2,910 people.
  • On July 1st 1977 heavy rains and flooding in Karachi killed 248 people; according to the Pakistan meteorological department 207mm (8.1″) of rain fell in 24 hours.
  • In 1992, flooding during the Monsoon season killed 1,834 people across the country.
  • In 1993, flooding during Monsoon rains killed 3,084 people.
  • In 2003, Sindh province was badly affected due to monsoon rains causing damages in billions and killing 178 people.
  • In 2007, Cyclone Yemyin submerged the lower part of Balochistan Province in sea water, killing 380 people. Before that it killed 213 people in Karachi on its way to Balochistan.
  • In 2010, almost all of Pakistan was affected when massive flooding, caused by record-breaking rains, hit Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab. At least 2,000 people died in the flood and almost 20 million people were affected by it.

But a quick check for $30B will fix everything? Charity is one thing and it is good, Grifting is quite another. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 7

On 9/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, rabihumakhan said:

I am from Pakistan also and happy to know that you are safe.

• Like 6

On 9/10/2022 at 1:06 AM, rabihumakhan said:

Well, we are fine here in the capital and hoping that you are doing well in your recovery process. 

I am glad that we are participating to help you guys stand up again. And we wish you a best of luck too. Come back stronger. 

• Like 6

Almost every leader in the world has accepted that the current climate change that's causing the massive flooding and other environmental problems in Pakistan has mostly been caused by the Western giant economies including China's. 

We don't need charity to be honest. We just need to be saved from the clutches of becoming a victim of global warming, droughts, and heavy rains that cause tragedies on mass level. 

Also, if the international community has to help, please don't give us aid but rather invest the money here which may create employment and our young generation would see something better. Currently, life here due to several local and international reasons, is a messed up thing. 

For instance, one of my brothers is in the police and his monthly salary is pkr. 42600 while his current electricity bill is pkr. 33850. Now how could it be possible for him to pay his bills, feed his family, and fight the massive flooding and the aftermath of it. 

Please note that my brother is in the middle class and a major portion of the population is living in poverty. Shudders! 

Our Gdp is the last 4 years has shrunk from USD 310 to  USD 271 all because of mismanagement and inability. 

Yeah, people need jobs instead of aid/charity as it won't reach to people, even if it does, it won't last for a longer time. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, newsmike said:

But a quick check for $30B will fix everything? Charity is one thing and it is good, Grifting is quite another. 

I totally agree. Charity only helps in emergency, proper planning saves you for a lifetime. 

It is high time for the world to come forward and in defiance of the establishment narrative of development, shun everything that is getting life in danger. 

The 2010 flood hit only our province and it was managed a little better. This one caused problems in the whole country and nothing seems better so far. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, vickieito said:

My heart really goes out to all the Pakistani sellers on the platform. I saw many posts on the flooding initially, but it has been really quiet right now. I really hope everyone is okay.

Thank-you, you're so kindhearted. 

We've been and still are in problems but keeping ourselves connected and collected and aren't giving up. 

These flooding unfortunately aren't natural disasters nowadays but mismanagement and the aftermath of climate changes caused by 'human beings'..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, newsmike said:

3 hours ago, rabihumakhan said:

Yeah, people need jobs instead of aid/charity as it won't reach to people, even if it does, it won't last for a longer time.

It's a sad thing when relief doesn't reach the people it's supposedly intended for.

I'm all for economic stimulation in the form of investments and increased job opportunities.

• Like 4