Buyer will be off the grid for more than 30 days, wants to set up project to finish when she gets back

skifemme

For a novel project that I will pay $500 or more for, I need an extended time fram. I will be out of the country for about 37 days without a computer, and mostly without internet. I cannot download, read, and OK the text on a phone. I need to see it in a real word processsing program. I would love to have the project finished when I get home. Is there any way to do that? Or do I have to wait and start the project after I return, or find a different source of copy editing? Thanks. I know this is an odd problem.

• Like 5

You can ask the seller to make a "custom offer". The delivery can go up to a maximum of 90 days. Perhaps set it at 40-45 days or something, 3 days before your trip? That gives you 3 days to be away and focus on your packing. And 3 days to let you breathe when you get back. Or you know you can be more generous with the time frame and give more leeway.

But you really have to be clear with seller that he/she should only deliver on X date because as I'm sure you're familiar with the system only gives you 3 days before it gets automatically marked as complete if they "deliver" a file.

Should the seller want to send in the work earlier than the set date they can just send it as an attached file in the order page. And when you're back you can do a conversation and approve the work and ask them to "deliver" the file. 

Just communicate well with the seller and find some middle ground and I think you can get something like this done. Have a safe trip! 🙂

• Like 5
  • Up 2

4 hours ago, skifemme said:

I know this is an odd problem.

It's not an uncommon request! I had a buyer who did the same - he was traveling for two weeks, without reliable internet, so he wanted the delivery on a specific date outside of the two weeks. When I created the custom offer, I set the due date three weeks out to allow time for deliveries and revisions, if necessary.

I also had a buyer who had an 8-week vacation this summer, so we set the delivery to 90 days.

I agree with @theratypist, as long as you are clear with the seller on what dates you want the delivery, there should be no problems. I typically have long delivery dates on my gigs (14 days), but tend to deliver much earlier than that. I have had buyers who didn't tell me that they would be traveling and were surprised/not ready when I delivered the projects in my typical window of 3-5 days.

• Like 7

I had one time, a high spending repeated buyer that wanted to book (again) dates in my calendar for his projects.

The first available dates were more than 90 days in the future. So I created a custom order with a 90 days delivery time and then extended the delivery time with several days. With this way of working, you can go beyond 90 days delivery time.

• Like 6