Inbox issues?

theratypist

Anyone else notice messages have been slower lately?

When I send a message it tends to take probably 30 seconds before they actually appear (making you second guess if you actually sent the message) ?

I've noticed this has been persisting for a while now. 

Is this my browser?............is it just me?.............. 😅

• Like 18
  • Up 3

9 minutes ago, theratypist said:

It's not you. It doesn't matter the browser, it's just Fiverr most likely updating stuff in the backend. I think they are preparing the new interface or some interface changes site-wide, not just for select sellers.

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Anyone else notice messages have been slower lately?

When I send a message it tends to take probably 30 seconds before they actually appear (making you second guess if you actually sent the message) ?

I've noticed this has been persisting for a while now. 

I noticed that as well, messages seem to be lagging a bit. Also, earlier today whenever I would go to my inbox, my interface would turn to a buyer's interface with all the seller tools at the top disappearing 😄 At least that seems to be fixed now.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gajuseidi said:

I noticed that as well, messages seem to be lagging a bit. Also, earlier today whenever I would go to my inbox, my interface would turn to a buyer's interface with all the seller tools at the top disappearing 😄 At least that seems to be fixed now.

As I said, most likely they are implementing the new user interface site-wide, so I can only assume they are running into problems..

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

As I said, most likely they are implementing the new user interface site-wide, so I can only assume they are running into problems..

Just a litle correction here from a professional developer. Any updates are rearely done live to the production instance, not even very small tweaks let alone site-wide updates. We devs use local environments to develop and test features thoroughly on before we push the changes to production (live).

The actual cause of this delayed processing is likely because of scalability issues with the servers that handle messages. As the messages are eventually processed it means that the requests have to be stalled and queued due to more requests than that can be handled concurrently.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, shubhu02 said:

Just a litle correction here from a professional developer. Any updates are rearely done live to the production instance, not even very small tweaks let alone site-wide updates. We devs use local environments to develop and test features thoroughly on before we push the changes to production (live).

I know. But, basd on previous experiences I had within the last 8 years here, every time they are trying to implement something new the inbox has issues, and the messaging system or attachment system as a whole. So.. I don't think it has anything to do with servers because they don't have an overload of users coming in. Simply put, it can be a number of things and I have no idea what exactly would be. 

The thing is, that new interface is already available to some select users. So it's already pushed to production, which means they are working on it live.. Which as I said, would explain why there are such problems. Or maybe it's something completely different. 

• Like 9

On 9/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, donnovan86 said:

I know. But, basd on previous experiences I had within the last 8 years here, every time they are trying to implement something new the inbox has issues, and the messaging system or attachment system as a whole. So.. I don't think it has anything to do with servers because they don't have an overload of users coming in. Simply put, it can be a number of things and I have no idea what exactly would be. 

Hmm.. Well, it's strange to be honest. There can be multiple architectures a web app can use today. The most common and scalable architecture is the distributed microservices based approach that I mentioned above. Since you have observed this pattern for 8 consecutive years, it leads me to believe that the messaging system has multiple dependencies (as not every update should involve changes to the messaging system). These dependencies can and should be eliminated or at least reduced (or we all will need to open new threads to complain about the messaging system every time a change is made, like now).

On 9/7/2022 at 10:40 PM, donnovan86 said:

The thing is, that new interface is already available to some select users. So it's already pushed to production, which means they are working on it live.. Which as I said, would explain why there are such problems. Or maybe it's something completely different. 

This technique is called beta testing. We devs always do it. Releasing early features to select users (beta testers) is a way to test a feature before it's released. This doesn't mean it's pushed to production already. Beta testers are served a separate app version which is independent of the production branch.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

1 hour ago, shubhu02 said:

Since you have observed this pattern for 8 consecutive years, it leads me to believe that the messaging system has multiple dependencies (as not every update should involve changes to the messaging system).

I agree with @donnovan86it has slowed down when/before they do updates. Maybe they're doing some processing behind the scenes while the system is running (like updating database stuff) and that slows the inbox down.

There was also a post on the forum by Fiverr (maybe a couple of years ago) saying how they were testing something new with the search engine, when I thought that really should have been tested if possible on a non-live system.

There's an article in the link below about how Fiverr changed their message system (inbox):

https://medium.com/fiverr-engineering/replacing-a-car-engine-while-driving-it-6accf336c179

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, uk1000 said:

I agree with @donnovan86it has slowed down when/before they do updates. Maybe they're doing some processing behind the scenes while the system is running (like updating database stuff) and that slows the inbox down.

MIght be. Although since modern inboxes use real time websockets (or other technologies like server-push events) to handlle concurrent real-time messaging, updating the database shouldn't cause issues with receiving the messages as they are sent (although retrieving the chats on reload can be an issue if that's the case).

Anyways, the trouble was well worth it. Finally, Fiverr is using React for the front-end. Expect faster pageload speed, real-time effortless updates for various UI elements (like the dot on the notification bell and the number of messages for a chat) in real-time without the need of page reload. It's also gonna be much faster than the previous UI (considering how well React manages DOM manipulation with it's virtual DOM model), also expect future UI updates to be shipped faster (as React has state control built-in, is super modular and very developer friendly). I liked this decision of the tech team.

• Like 5