An important tip for new (really, all) sellers

katakatica

Read the TOS. Study the website. Don't be lazy. 

Seriously.

Before you sign up and start looking into how to make your gig (or in the worst case, spamming other sellers to give you work FROM a buyer account), do your research and READ. 

Ask questions on the forum if you need to. Join discord/fb/whatever groups. Know the site enough that you can navigate it well enough by the time you first sell something. 

Something I've noticed to be rampant these days is people who not only just don't bother to check the rules (which, OK, many people don't, but on a site where you earn $ might be a bit odd.) but also... don't know ANYTHING about how Fiverr works. Now, of course, there will be growing pains - not everything is simple on here. But if you bother to take that extra five minutes while signing up to BROWSE the site to see the people you might compete with, to see what they are doing well (or..not), or to even just understand the features themselves... Trust me, your chance at earning even five bucks is going to be much higher. 

Knowing what you're getting yourself into is the number one rule when getting a job... Why should an online job be any different from that? 

I know that some people struggle with English and use a translator to communicate (which... isn't always very efficient) but even then, there's measures you can take to make sure you get things right. 

Just this week so far, I had 3 BUYERS trying to get orders from me. Now, I know that this isn't a post about spam, but I've seen similar accounts on here as well - and just in general, people who don't do their homework. 

So... why not try and get a headstart against them by making sure you're not like that? 

(warning: this might not be the nicest tone I've used, but being direct is something I'm semi-good at)

• Like 146
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 5

Thank you, @katakatica! I wish every newbie seller would read this. It would solve so many headaches and unnecessary posts to the forum!

27 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Know the site enough that you can navigate it well enough by the time you first sell something. 

Before I sold anything ... I bought. I wanted to know exactly how my buyers would be interacting with the platform. I took screenshots like crazy when I was buying so that I could help my buyers know where to go and which buttons to push. Most of the buyers that I dealt with as a newbie were just as green as I was ... and they looked up to me as an expert. I couldn't use the excuse that I was new. I had to learn the platform quickly.

27 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Something I've noticed to be rampant these days is people who not only just don't bother to check the rules ... but also... don't know ANYTHING about how Fiverr works.

29 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Knowing what you're getting yourself into is the number one rule when getting a job... Why should an online job be any different from that? 

The problem is, many newbie sellers come to the platform thinking that this is much simpler than what it is. They're lured in by the promise of easy money because someone on YouTube told them that all they had to do is sign up, set up a gig, and the money comes in. Fiverr isn't a quick cash site like Inbox Dollars or Swagbucks ... and Fiverr doesn't "give" you buyers, "quick orders, or guarantee you income. Unfortunately, most newbie sellers don't understand this at all.

28 minutes ago, katakatica said:

if you bother to take that extra five minutes while signing up to BROWSE the site to see the people you might compete with, to see what they are doing well (or..not), or to even just understand the features themselves... Trust me, your chance at earning even five bucks is going to be much higher. 

29 minutes ago, katakatica said:

So... why not try and get a headstart against them by making sure you're not like that? 

It really doesn't take that much to get that competitive edge - like you said:

22 minutes ago, katakatica said:

• Like 98
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Thank you, @katakatica! I wish every newbie seller would read this. It would solve so many headaches and unnecessary posts to the forum!

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

I feel like some people have already missed the point!
To be honest when I joined I did just enough research to be able to run an account OK - which is why I think blaming people for messing up a BIT would make me a hypocrite. But... there's a difference between not knowing what to charge and being gullible and, you know, not realizing that you don't even have a seller account set up.

My goal with these posts (which is why I'm trying to make them simple) is to at least get through to a FEW people. Even if they end up as my competition. 

I know that there's a huge cultural/language barrier looming above us - and I feel like maybe the solution could be to try and lower it (and not only just rage about it... though I rage about it a fair bit as well.) 

My point is that, I guess... I know how it is to be desperate for money and not know what to do. While working online might not be the best solution, I know that in some situations, it IS the only 'job' some peple can get (I personally had a 'phase' when I was so socially awkward that I couldn't hold down a waitressing job because the boss gave me panic attacks and I ended up being freaked out during the whole shift. Lasted 3 days...) Regardless of circumstances, I think that if people do their research and TRY... they might end up with a bit more luck than others, I guess?
(sorry, that was a bit rambly...) 

• Like 97
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Hidden! Quick FYI, you can report zero-content bumps, as against forum rule 8b. 

Thank you! To be honest I should have done it, but it was so ridiculously ironic because of the topic that I was more amused than realizing I should have acted against it! 

• Like 71
  • Thanks 3

On 9/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, katakatica said:

Seriously.

Before you sign up and start looking into how to make your gig (or in the worst case, spamming other sellers to give you work FROM a buyer account), do your research and READ. 

Ask questions on the forum if you need to. Join discord/fb/whatever groups. Know the site enough that you can navigate it well enough by the time you first sell something. 

Something I've noticed to be rampant these days is people who not only just don't bother to check the rules (which, OK, many people don't, but on a site where you earn $ might be a bit odd.) but also... don't know ANYTHING about how Fiverr works. Now, of course, there will be growing pains - not everything is simple on here. But if you bother to take that extra five minutes while signing up to BROWSE the site to see the people you might compete with, to see what they are doing well (or..not), or to even just understand the features themselves... Trust me, your chance at earning even five bucks is going to be much higher. 

I know that some people struggle with English and use a translator to communicate (which... isn't always very efficient) but even then, there's measures you can take to make sure you get things right. 

Just this week so far, I had 3 BUYERS trying to get orders from me. Now, I know that this isn't a post about spam, but I've seen similar accounts on here as well - and just in general, people who don't do their homework. 

(warning: this might not be the nicest tone I've used, but being direct is something I'm semi-good at)

There is one fundemental problem with your tip... even though it is valuable, the ones who need the most will... never read it 🥴

• Like 67
  • Haha 1
  • Congrats! 5
  • Up 2

11 hours ago, finndev478 said:

There is one fundemental problem with your tip... even though it is valuable, the ones who need the most will... never read it 🥴

Yeah, I... I suppose I should have known! Still a good tip, though! 
To be fair, I feel like it'd probably function as a rant as well, I just felt like people might actually read it as a tip (but most probably just open, comment, bye on it) 

• Like 62
  • Thanks 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice.  Actually I learned the hard way.  I've opened Fiverr account in 2010 same year they started and I was just a buyer.  When I decided to start selling I thought I new the rules which I got into some problems in my initial steps as a seller.  So, read the TOS before you start so you understand what you can or can not do.   Great advice katakatica.  Thank you!

• Like 53
  • Up 2