Was I defrauded by "graphic designer"?

spirallightning

I saw a profile of a graphic designer with skills in Adobe illustrator and he had a gig for designing YouTube banners. He had gigs priced from $5-$20 but when I chatted with him he said due to not getting a lot of work and because Fiverr taxes his pay he is charging me $30. I eventually got him to charge me $20 but he wanted a tip at the end.

He gave me a banner and I closed the gig. Later I uploaded it and showed friends and a friend said the banner looks familiar and dropped it in Google images and gave me the link. Over 75% is a free commonly used Japan pic and he did slap on a small rectangle with me my channel name and a black vector of a couple on the right side. Is this allowed? I was under the impression he was actually going to draw something as all past artists did for me, especially because no charged me the max $20 and I gave a $12.50 tip thinking it was original in some way. I don't want a banner that's too much just a public domain photo with a minority of change of just my name and a public domain couple vector slapped on. At least be clear at a certain price it is not illustration but just public domain photos and minimal changes (no actual illustration). I tried to be fair and ask the artist for 50% refund and he blocked me and told me he is happy if I take it to Fiverr customer service. Its just doesn't seem fair to past artists who really did illustrate. In a way I feel defrauded. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by spirallightning
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spirallightning said:

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you couldn’t possibly expect the seller to draw the whole illustration plus do design work for 20$. 

anyways to your problem: if he offers “unique” design in his gig you can try to take it to customer support. If you didn’t discuss with him prior if it will be his original drawing or not then chances are slim. But I would say that it will be customer support decision to make based on sellers gig description. 

But technically fb banner design is a category where stock photos are allowed 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1