Messages in Spam: Potential Buyers or Scammers?

kota_kat

Question

Hello,

I am a new seller, have no experience whatsoever. I have received multiple messages in spam so far, most of them are obvious scams and the accounts that sent the messages are no longer available (I guess they were terminated by the users or the platform itself). But there is one person who claims that I fit their needs and asks me about whether or not I have a PC. I have one gig so far, it's an art commission/vn sprite request. The person has not stated what exactly they wanted, no questions directly related to the gig, just jumped straight to whether or not I have a computer. Their account was created this month, meaning a couple of days ago, and its barren. So, a few red flags already. I want to ask more experienced folks, what the hell is this? Should I ignore them, politely disengage, report? I really don't want to miss out on any opportunities, but this seems sketchy at minimum. 

I'd greatly appreciate any advice regarding handling potential scams, odd requests, and any red flags I should watch out for. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 answer to this question

Hi @kota_kat, this does not sound like a legitimate buyer, especially since nothing is being mentioned about your gig and the buyer asks an irrelevant question. I would mark this buyer as spam.

You might also want to read this article here on spam:

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/285174-no-you-have-not-been-hired-new-sellers-dont-let-them-scam-you-dont-contact-them-off-fiverr-dont-do-any-work-for-them/

• Like 5