Buyer Reviews on Canceled Orders - Do They Matter?

vickieito

It's been a long time since I canceled an order as a buyer, so I was surprised to see that I could leave a review on a canceled order. I kind of remember @miiila mentioning that there was an option.

It started with this:

image.png.c8ad43807f61b3b3b5693d65bbbc4dce.png

The reasons for cancelations include:

image.png.7bf89bfdb323925658b9d259d0f69b25.png

image.png.1a65fa0c1e83f177939b62814b514a21.png

Then I could leave 1 to 5 stars to rate my experience.

image.png.da7a21671db6c3e29903ea05a1b23ebb.png

Does anyone have an idea of how much weight a buyer's review on a canceled order has?

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5

That's crazy! I could've sworn that a buyer was only able to post reviews if the project wasn't canceled or they paid out for the project! 

I know there's surely a good side to this feature, but right now -as a seller- I can only see the bad. I don't think it's right given that many buyers don't understand the harm that can come as a result of one bad review. A lot of times, people are just mad at the time that they post it and end up regretting their post later. (I may know a thing or 2 about this when in relation to forum posts! 🤣)

Generally, a buyer is going to be mad when a project is canceled, and this is a good way for them to hurt the seller in their vengeance. Aren't reviews the main aspect that buyers consider when choosing a seller? All it takes is one bad project, mistake, or buyer to critically hurt what a seller has spent years building, and the fact that the review is private just seems like a guarantee that they will post something negative about the canceled project. I mean, a lot of projects are canceled because a buyer requests additional work that wasn't in the time frame or seller's capabilities, or the buyer lied, or the project can't be completed because of some legal error, etc. (I'm not saying it's always a buyer's fault, or that every buyer will abuse the privilege, or that this can't be a good thing. I'm just saying - there was a reason buyers weren't allowed to leave reviews if the project was canceled, surely, so why allow it now? - Assuming this is a NEW change)

Why don't sellers get a 'private review' option btw? Many sellers discuss how they feel obligated to leave a good review for a buyer no matter the case (especially given that you can't see a buyer's review until you leave yours). It just appears as favoritism to buyers...

Personally, I've had fairly good luck with buyers and reviews and such. I've honestly been surprised by how many buyers are nice & understanding so long as their work is done correctly; it revives my faith in humanity! But there's always a question in the back of my mind like: "yeah, what'd you really say about me?" Haha, I'm such a pessimist. I'm trying to regain my faith in people I swear it!

• Like 16

23 hours ago, ashleymahan217 said:

That's crazy! I could've sworn that a buyer was only able to post reviews if the project wasn't canceled or they paid out for the project! 

That's what I thought, too! It looks that isn't the case.😔

Generally, a buyer is going to be mad when a project is canceled, and this is a good way for them to hurt the seller in their vengeance. Aren't reviews the main aspect that buyers consider when choosing a seller? All it takes is one bad project, mistake, or buyer to critically hurt what a seller has spent years building, and the fact that the review is private just seems like a guarantee that they will post something negative about the canceled project.

This is a double hit to the seller - not only do you have a cancelation on your record ...you also have to deal with a negative review.

Why don't sellers get a 'private review' option btw?

I would love to have this option. As a seller it can go against you if you leave a negative public review for your buyer, because your buyer can always leave a negative private review in retaliation (and the private review is the one that hurts the most)!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Does the review for a cancelled order show up on the seller's profile?

No, the review is akin to a private review. 

Also, just to share my experience on this @vickieito I had a Fiverr's choice order with a client that we had to mutually cancel because the buyer was not apparently not ready with the complete instructions needed for the request. I don't know if they gave a private review (can you skip this?). Anyhow, a day or two after I sent in a "custom" offer and it was still surprisingly labelled a Fiverr's choice order for some reason LOL. I did not see any effects on impressions even a week or so after. Then again I was coming from the usual "lower" end of impressions so it was just going up since then. I noticed my impressions frequent from the lower thousands to the higher thousands every so often. I truly believe in "gig rotation" 🤣

Edited by theratypist
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I had a Fiverr's choice order with a client that we had to mutually cancel because the buyer was not apparently not ready with the complete instructions needed for the request. I don't know if they gave a private review (can you skip this?). Anyhow, a day or two after I sent in a "custom" offer and it was still surprisingly labelled a Fiverr's choice order for some reason LOL. 

@theratypist - that happened to me too! I had to cancel 2 Fiverr's Choice orders this week because we changed the scope of the orders and reduced the price (canceled and made custom offers for each). The first custom order was labeled as a "Fiverr's Choice" order again, but the second one wasn't. Maybe I was punished for canceling too many orders? 

8 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I noticed my impressions frequent from the lower thousands to the higher thousands every so often. I truly believe in "gig rotation" 🤣

Now that you mentioned it ...

I once thought a buyer left a negative private review because I left him a less-than-perfect public review. My impressions plummeted after that order. However, I noticed that this buyer was in my coupons list as being highly likely to buy my services again so I was confused. My Success Manager confirmed that he didn't leave a negative private review. After several days, my impressions were back to normal again.

It could've been a gig rotation that coincided with that order!

• Like 13

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 2:45 AM, theratypist said:

No, the review is akin to a private review. 

Also, just to share my experience on this @vickieito I had a Fiverr's choice order with a client that we had to mutually cancel because the buyer was not apparently not ready with the complete instructions needed for the request. I don't know if they gave a private review (can you skip this?). Anyhow, a day or two after I sent in a "custom" offer and it was still surprisingly labelled a Fiverr's choice order for some reason LOL. I did not see any effects on impressions even a week or so after. Then again I was coming from the usual "lower" end of impressions so it was just going up since then. I noticed my impressions frequent from the lower thousands to the higher thousands every so often. I truly believe in "gig rotation" 🤣

@theratypist@vickieito

I thought the Fiverr's choice thing was for gigs - not specific orders. So, Fiverr "favors" certain orders and labels them as "Fiverr's Choice?" I've reviewed a few different forum articles about the "Fiverr's Choice" - but they're all about gigs ...?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ashleymahan217 said:

@theratypist@vickieito

I thought the Fiverr's choice thing was for gigs - not specific orders. So, Fiverr "favors" certain orders and labels them as "Fiverr's Choice?" I've reviewed a few different forum articles about the "Fiverr's Choice" - but they're all about gigs ...?

Hi @ashleymahan217, you're righ! Fiverr's choice is specific to your gig. Tthis is when Fiverr will stick a "Fiverr's Choice" badge on your gig and place it up on top for buyers to see. If a buyer clicks on that "Fiverr's Choice" gig, the next order that they place with you will be labeled as a "Fiverr's Choice" order. That's where the "Fiverr's Choice orders" come from.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Why am I being penalized when a client puts in an incorrect order? My order completion was 100% and since an order was mutually canceled, it has now dropped down to 97%. This isn't the first time that it has happened to me and I have noticed a sharp decline in orders following this penalty. Most recently, a new client placed an order and was $80 short in order to complete the order. We mutually agreed to cancel the order and I was still penalized. Can someone at Fiverr please explain this to me? Thanks.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, seanbee said:

Why am I being penalized when a client puts in an incorrect order?

You shouldn't be, but you do need to reach out to Customer Service so they can adjust your Order Completion Rate (OCR) for you. As long as it's a buyer error, they will have no problems making the adjustment for you.

You can contact them here:

https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/selling-on-fiverr/orders/current-orders/issue-with-an-order/create-ticket

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, seanbee said:

Why am I being penalized when a client puts in an incorrect order? My order completion was 100% and since an order was mutually canceled, it has now dropped down to 97%. This isn't the first time that it has happened to me and I have noticed a sharp decline in orders following this penalty. Most recently, a new client placed an order and was $80 short in order to complete the order. We mutually agreed to cancel the order and I was still penalized. Can someone at Fiverr please explain this to me? Thanks.

Sellers have been struggling with the issue of being 'unfairly penalized for canceled gigs' for a while, but Fiverr just recently fixed the issue. If you cancel your order, get the buyer to approve a new one within 24 hours. Your statistics will not be hurt. So, as @vickieitosaid - you really shouldn't be penalized - contact support.

• Like 5

On 9/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, vickieito said:

It could've been a gig rotation that coincided with that order!

The higher power. I have occasionally experienced this situation, in which I receive a good number of orders (by my standard) within a short time period and my impressions drop from 10,000+ to 1,000+/-.

On 12/7/2022 at 4:20 AM, seanbee said:

My order completion was 100% and since an order was mutually canceled, it has now dropped down to 97%.

You can contact the Fiverr customer support team to explain your situation, and have the completion rate adjusted manually. I do this quite often... :classic_ninja:

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 6