Can I solicit to have a company "among my clients" if I delivered through a third party?

mandyzines

I just delivered a commercial voice over regarding a service from a specific large company, but there's another buyer/seller who creates videos that ordered it from me. Regardless of the intermediary, getting a ridiculously good rate for my voice over, it would be my voice associated with this commercial.

Can I approach the company in attempt to get them "among my clients"?

Their name and my tag line go SO well together, too!

Edited by mandyzines
words
  • Like 7

@mandyzinesYes, of course you can, but keep in mind that reaching out to them outside of Fiverr could be considered a violation of the TOS. I would ask customer support about this before I do anything. It might be ok, since the client isn't actually a buyer on Fiverr, but still, it's always best to ask.

Most jobs go via intermediaries, agencies and third parties, at least in the VO category. I've worked with lots of big companies, but in 99% of cases, it's through an agency they hire to create campaigns, agents, talent agencies and so on. I see no problem in contacting the actual company, but most of the time, they wouldn't care enough to respond back. For that reason, it's better to ask the intermediary you worked with if they can check with the client. They most likely have a close working relationship with the client, in addition to all the talent connected to the project. 

Edit: Added info about h the TOS and adviced to ask support first. Thanks to the OP for pointing this out. this might being problematic wit

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, smashradio said:

@mandyzinesYes, of course you can. Most jobs go via intermediaries, agencies and third parties, at least in the VO category. I've worked with lots of big companies, but in 99% of cases, it's through an agency they hire to create campaigns, agents, talent agencies and so on. I see no problem in contacting the actual company, but most of the time, they wouldn't care enough to respond back. For that reason, it's better to ask the intermediary you worked with if they can check with the client. They most likely have a close working relationship with the client, in addition to all the talent connected to the project. 

Contact information for a Rep was in the voice over. If the video creator doesn't respond, it would be against TOS to follow through myself, yes?

• Like 5

Just now, mandyzines said:

Contact information for a Rep was in the voice over. If the video creator doesn't respond, it would be against TOS to follow through myself, yes?

It would be considered a violation of the TOS as I understand them. Reaching out to them would have to be on Fiverr, unless the client is someone you've worked with outside of Fiverr already. In my case, I have a few top clients that I've worked with for a long time outside of Fiverr, and a few who came to me on Fiverr. In this case, you wouldn't be attempting to reach out to the client to get work, so you could ask Customer Support if they think that would be ok. 

Another thing to keep in mind, and that can make this a bit... iffy.... The actual client might not know that the video creator is hiring people on Fiverr, and they might not appreciate that fact. Some clients view Fiverr as a low-quality cheap marketplace, and it might hurt the video creator if you reach out directly and explain that you're a seller on Fiverr. 

For that reason, I always limit my contact to the third party that I've been working with directly. Often, they will be creatives themselves, and know the value that something like this can have to a freelancer, so they will be more than willing to ask. Not always, though. But that's just how it is. You can still say you worked for them - you just can't use their logo in top clients. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, smashradio said:

Another thing to keep in mind, and that can make this a bit... iffy.... The actual client might not know that the video creator is hiring people on Fiverr, and they might not appreciate that fact. Some clients view Fiverr as a low-quality cheap marketplace, and it might hurt the video creator if you reach out directly and explain that you're a seller on Fiverr. 

Ooh, I only partially thought about that one. He's a TRS with some important companies on his list, including Fiverr, so hopefully he'll understand and follow through! Thank you so much for your help!

• Like 4