Thoughts on bugs/spiders?

brillzart

Haha, so, this is probably one of the most random topics you all have seen on the Forums, but I'm genuinely curious about this.

I personally love most from both groups. Obviously, there are bugs and spiders I avoid like mosquitos, wasps, and black widows, but besides the harmful ones, I really see nothing wrong with the rest. Whenever one crawls or flies in my house, or even just near me, the most I could get is annoyed, but I still try to free them outside and everything. 

I always felt sad when I'd see a harmless bug or spider crawl in front of a person, and then that person would squish it like it hurt their family. Also, I know that a fear of bugs/spiders is fairly common, which I feel bad about. I know that fears are hard to control, so this doesn't include the people who have phobias, but I wish regular folk would be more thoughtful about the creatures' lives. 

Let me know your thoughts below though! This is just my opinion about them, maybe some of you have a completely different one, while others agree. Guess I'll have to see. 

• Like 15

6 hours ago, samus_x said:

We are completely on the same page, I am not too afraid of them (even though I am UBER-annoyed by mosquitoes), and I do not understand how people often are absolutely frightened by them 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, mosquitoes are a big pain in the butt.

Ay, glad we’re on the same page! 😆

• Like 9

Generally speaking, I'm OK with bugs.

I love ladybugs, (if I see them land on me, I let them stay there and chill), I once had a Disney princess moment when a butterfly landed on my nose,
I also saved a praying mantis standing in the middle of the road (I didn't want him to get run over by a car), back in Japan we see cicadas all the time.
If I see a spider in the house, I usually take them outside.

Mosquitoes though...sorry, I slap them with zero hesitation. 

• Like 7

I'm horribly allergic to wasps and bee stings, so I get quite tense when one buzzes by. The others don't bug me much (ha ha). I'd rather not have a spider jump on me, but I won't flail and scream.

The only one that freaks me out is a preying mantis. They have necks and stare at you with those big, alien eyes. Ugh.

• Like 8

Even though I'm not a fan of bugs in general. I have to say that the one that does freak me out is the huntsman spider.  Even though it isn't poisonous, I have read that these fellas just pop up in peoples houses in Australia. On the walls, in clothing etc...

So with no disrespect to our Australian freelancers.  You can keep this one native to your island guys! 

R.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, zeus777 said:

I once had a Disney princess moment when a butterfly landed on my nose

I wish I could have a Disney princess moment like that! I think the closest thing was a dance with a dying cicada. I had no idea that if you step on one of them, they go off like a firecracker in every direction!

On 9/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, brillzart said:

I always felt sad when I'd see a harmless bug or spider crawl in front of a person, and then that person would squish it like it hurt their family.

My husband and kids go ballistic when they see a fly in the house. It becomes their mission to destroy it at all cost. I see no point in hunting down a poor fly if it isn't directly near me or trying to get on my food.

I'm usually okay with bugs and spiders if I know where they're at and how they're going to act. 

I think I've swallowed a couple of spiders in my sleep because I wake up suddenly coughing with a feeling that something is caught in my throat. I'm not bothered by it. However, if a bug or spider were to crawl into my ear ... I would have a BIG problem with that.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:39 PM, samus_x said:

I do not understand how people often are absolutely frightened by them 🤷‍♂️

One of my most vivid experiences as a child was being chased by my older sister because a spider (a very, very tiny spider) had latched onto her neck and wasn't budging. Her eyes got all wild and crazy looking and she came running at me full speed, "Get it off of me! Get it OFFFF!" Of course I ran away from her yelling, "Get it off yourself!"

Sometimes i's not the spider, but the people who are absolutely freaked out about spiders that scares me.

One thing I don't like is squishing spiders and bugs. The smaller ones like mosquitos and tiny spiders are okay. However, if they're big and juicy-looking (like the huntsman spider in @breals's picture), I don't want to squish them because I don't like how they feel, sound, and squirt when I do kill them.

As for me, cockroaches are one of the worst bugs out there. If you see one, there's usually millions others hiding somewhere. And they are almost impossible to kill and get rid of.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, breals said:

I have to say that the one that does freak me out is the huntsman spider. 

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIKIES, that's a big one!!!!
It's good to know that it's not dangerous, but that's a HELL NO for me, even though I am OK with spiders.
Of course if I ever go to Australia and see one, I'll just take it outside. No need to kill it.

As for cockroaches, I just let it go. Because I know my cats will butcher it...

• Like 9

I live in a ground floor with a big garden. I have got tons of visitors. Its an old house, so there are small cracks and stuff in unseen places. But there are many cats around my house, so big ones cant make it. Cats just destroy them.

I have seen some small spiders and whatnot. Which is a problem because they start to build their nets if unattended. And i dont want them to decorate my house. So i'll have them deported.

Couple weeks ago i had an ant problem. whenever there is a drop of juice on the floor, give it a couple minutes and i see the marching of their armies towards my kitchen. I had to start war. Its not justice i know. But i have got to protect my home, i cant just carry ants 1 by 1 outside. And i tried to talk to their leaders, but we had a lack of understanding. Turns out Ant leaders are just jackasses. So i had to deploy chemical weapons. Now Its me and couple cunning spiders who are smart enough to not to be seen or build big nets.

But if i see a damn mosquito, i will lose reason. Those pricks can eat my legs if they want to, i dont care i heal easy, sometimes i put my leg out of the blanket as an offering of peace. But noooo, they just make noise around my ear to prevent me going to sleep. Its a death sentence.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, theratypist said:

I'm afraid of spiders, other bugs are okay. 😅

Understandable, glad to hear that other bugs are okay though!

On 9/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, zeus777 said:

Generally speaking, I'm OK with bugs.

I love ladybugs, (if I see them land on me, I let them stay there and chill), I once had a Disney princess moment when a butterfly landed on my nose,
I also saved a praying mantis standing in the middle of the road (I didn't want him to get run over by a car), back in Japan we see cicadas all the time.
If I see a spider in the house, I usually take them outside.

Mosquitoes though...sorry, I slap them with zero hesitation. 

Ay, being okay with bugs is great. Ladybugs and butterflies are such chill bugs, I wouldn’t mind them landing on me either. Also aw, glad you saved the praying mantis’s life, that’s so good!! I do the same thing with spiders - I see them, I take them outside. Those pesky mosquitoes though, very annoying indeed.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, melanielm said:

I'm horribly allergic to wasps and bee stings, so I get quite tense when one buzzes by. The others don't bug me much (ha ha). I'd rather not have a spider jump on me, but I won't flail and scream.

The only one that freaks me out is a preying mantis. They have necks and stare at you with those big, alien eyes. Ugh.

Yeah, definitely can see why you feel tense when one buzzes by. I would too, and even though I’m not horribly allergic, I still feel a bit tense myself because I wouldn’t want to get stung. Having a spider jump on you would be like a jumpscare in real life - scary. The praying mantis sure is an interesting bug. I find its shape fascinating, but I can see it being seen as freaky. 👀

On 9/4/2022 at 9:20 AM, breals said:

Even though I'm not a fan of bugs in general. I have to say that the one that does freak me out is the huntsman spider.  Even though it isn't poisonous, I have read that these fellas just pop up in peoples houses in Australia. On the walls, in clothing etc...

So with no disrespect to our Australian freelancers.  You can keep this one native to your island guys! 

I respect your opinion of not being a fan of bugs in general, to each their own. Having a spider pop out on the walls or in clothing would definitely freak me out, though at least the kind you mentioned isn’t poisonous. Australia is filled with interesting creatures, bugs and spiders included, so I’m not surprised that the huge spider is native to that country. 

On 9/5/2022 at 12:16 AM, vickieito said:

I wish I could have a Disney princess moment like that! I think the closest thing was a dance with a dying cicada. I had no idea that if you step on one of them, they go off like a firecracker in every direction!

A dance with a dying cicada? 😦

Sounds…interesting. 👀

I had no idea of that fact either, but I would’ve never done that, so I wouldn’t be the one testing that. 

My husband and kids go ballistic when they see a fly in the house. It becomes their mission to destroy it at all cost. I see no point in hunting down a poor fly if it isn't directly near me or trying to get on my food.

I'm usually okay with bugs and spiders if I know where they're at and how they're going to act. 

I think I've swallowed a couple of spiders in my sleep because I wake up suddenly coughing with a feeling that something is caught in my throat. I'm not bothered by it. However, if a bug or spider were to crawl into my ear ... I would have a BIG problem with that.

I know right? I would also not care as much as long as it’s not bothering me.

Knowing where they’re at is something I have to know too, otherwise I would slightly panic. 🤣

Swallowing a couple of spiders in your sleep sounds terrifying, I’m surprised you’re not bothered by it, haha! I will say though, if I had to compare throat v.s. ear, I would much rather have a bug or spider crawl into my throat. Having anyone in my ear is a big no no for me as well. 

One of my most vivid experiences as a child was being chased by my older sister because a spider (a very, very tiny spider) had latched onto her neck and wasn't budging. Her eyes got all wild and crazy looking and she came running at me full speed, "Get it off of me! Get it OFFFF!" Of course I ran away from her yelling, "Get it off yourself!"

Sometimes i's not the spider, but the people who are absolutely freaked out about spiders that scares me.

One thing I don't like is squishing spiders and bugs. The smaller ones like mosquitos and tiny spiders are okay. However, if they're big and juicy-looking (like the huntsman spider in @breals's picture), I don't want to squish them because I don't like how they feel, sound, and squirt when I do kill them.

As for me, cockroaches are one of the worst bugs out there. If you see one, there's usually millions others hiding somewhere. And they are almost impossible to kill and get rid of.

Honestly true! Seeing people freaking out would want to make me freak out too. Once panic sets in, it’s hard to reason at first. Glad to hear that you don’t like squishing spiders and bugs, makes me happy on the inside. 🤣

Oh yes, cockroaches are absolutely everywhere. Even witnessed one in Moscow, Russia. It’s crazy. 😬

On 9/5/2022 at 1:24 AM, zeus777 said:

As for cockroaches, I just let it go. Because I know my cats will butcher it...

Go cats! 🐱😆

On 9/5/2022 at 2:36 AM, ozan_erdi said:

I live in a ground floor with a big garden. I have got tons of visitors. Its an old house, so there are small cracks and stuff in unseen places. But there are many cats around my house, so big ones cant make it. Cats just destroy them.

I have seen some small spiders and whatnot. Which is a problem because they start to build their nets if unattended. And i dont want them to decorate my house. So i'll have them deported.

Couple weeks ago i had an ant problem. whenever there is a drop of juice on the floor, give it a couple minutes and i see the marching of their armies towards my kitchen. I had to start war. Its not justice i know. But i have got to protect my home, i cant just carry ants 1 by 1 outside. And i tried to talk to their leaders, but we had a lack of understanding. Turns out Ant leaders are just jackasses. So i had to deploy chemical weapons. Now Its me and couple cunning spiders who are smart enough to not to be seen or build big nets.

But if i see a damn mosquito, i will lose reason. Those pricks can eat my legs if they want to, i dont care i heal easy, sometimes i put my leg out of the blanket as an offering of peace. But noooo, they just make noise around my ear to prevent me going to sleep. Its a death sentence.

Oh nice, big gardens are lovely! And yes, I imagined cats destroying the big critters, lol.

It’s too bad the ant leaders didn’t listen. I guess chemical weapons were the only way. 😔

Ah, you even gave them a peace offering, haha! Too bad they didn’t listen either. Death sentence it is. 💀

Anyways, thank you everyone for your responses! 🤗

• Like 5