Fiverr for clergy - Are we selling and buying prayers?

enstine

A couple of months ago, I found out that pastors were on fiverr offering prayers and deliverance services. I was curious and wanted to find out how that they sell prayers which is supposed to be free. Anyone who doesn't think deep would jump on an irrational conclusion. Here is my take:

• Salvation is not a free package. It's only given for free
  • The gospel of Jesus Christ is heavy. Carrying it to the ends of the world requires heavy financial involvement.
  • The pastor is a man with family and responsibilities. 
  • While the people go to their churches and gatherings to receive from God through his ministers, God's servants should carry the gospel to all the world (including the Internet)
  • The Internet is not free. There is cost at almost every node.
  • Praying for people and preaching the gospel should never carry a financial value attached to it but the means to carry that prayer/gospel to you is costly.
  • What pastors charge on fiverr is the cost of running the service. 
  • Pastors are not paid to pray. Any buyer of a prayer gig only pays for the cost of delivery.

As a clergy on Fiverr, I believe that the token charge only goes to cover the cost of delivery and contributes a fraction to the running of the ministries of the pastors.

God bless

• Like 6

This is quite interesting what you're mentioning here. Out of honest curiosity;

55 minutes ago, enstine said:

Praying for people and preaching the gospel should never carry a financial value attached to it but the means to carry that prayer/gospel to you is costly.

56 minutes ago, enstine said:

Pastors are not paid to pray. Any buyer of a prayer gig only pays for the cost of delivery.

Of course, a pastor is a man with family and responsibilities. But in these parts above you mention that carrying the prayer/gospel to someone is costly. In the realm of Fiverr specifically, how is carrying that costly? And how does that justify the fact that the gospel should never carry a financial value to it? Isn't that contradictory?

And coming from someone who has no ties to religion in any way I'm also curious about the following to which you might provide clarification. Why would I pay for someone to pray for me when I could pray for myself? 

Thanks in advance for your answer! 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, sabinespoems said:

This is quite interesting what you're mentioning here. Out of honest curiosity;

Of course, a pastor is a man with family and responsibilities. But in these parts above you mention that carrying the prayer/gospel to someone is costly. In the realm of Fiverr specifically, how is carrying that costly? And how does that justify the fact that the gospel should never carry a financial value to it? Isn't that contradictory?

And coming from someone who has no ties to religion in any way I'm also curious about the following to which you might provide clarification. Why would I pay for someone to pray for me when I could pray for myself? 

Hi Sabines,

Where I come from for instance, Internet is still quite expensive. Uploading videos to fiverr is costly. I believe anything charged, a portion goes back for the Internet fee.

And about your second question, everyone has access to the God but ignorance keeps some people far behind. But then, there is the point of being one another's keeping.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 8:47 AM, sabinespoems said:

Why would I pay for someone to pray for me when I could pray for myself? 

Would you remove your own gall bladder as well?

I'm not a fan of paying for prayer, that smacks of the fortune teller snake oil. But the idea of praying for the well being of others is quite common in all religions, just maybe not with the meter running. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, enstine said:

Where I come from for instance, Internet is still quite expensive. Uploading videos to fiverr is costly. I believe anything charged, a portion goes back for the Internet fee.

Isn't the usual model that all are invited to participate, and those who can afford to and are willing to donate, pay for the entire operation? I've never seen a legitimate church charging admission.   

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, sabinespoems said:

I just came back to add this

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2

As for other matters, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith.

This didn't mean that the Apostle couldn't pray for himself and his team. There is need to pray for each other in the body of Christ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Isn't the usual model that all are invited to participate, and those who can afford to and are willing to donate, pay for the entire operation? I've never seen a legitimate church charging admission.   

You are right but that's how fiverr functions.

If you go to the websites of these clergies, you'll find out prayer request forms are without a charge. Opting to pay the fiverr fee is tantamount to willing to donate. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, newsmike said:

Would you remove your own gall bladder as well?

That's not something I've included on my bucket list! But that is something I don't have to pay somebody else for either.

23 hours ago, newsmike said:

I'm not a fan of paying for prayer, that smacks of the fortune teller snake oil. But the idea of praying for the well being of others is quite common in all religions, just maybe not with the meter running. 

I'm definitely aware, and not against despite not being religious, that people pray for others. However, it's the running meter thing that had me thinking indeed. 

• Like 4