Blocked someone, yet they were still able to place an order

donnovan86

1 hour ago, vickieito said:

I just tried to block a person who was messaging me (and didn't place an order) and the only way to to that was to mark them as spam. I even submitted a ticket to CS and "reported" the buyer several times. After a day, Fiverr CS confirmed that the only way to block this buyer was to hit that spam button. So it does appear that you can only use the block function on buyers who have ordered from you before.

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

You can't block them. As Vickie said, you can mark their message as Spam and that stops them from talking with you. The Block button appears only if they had a previous order with you.

Ah well, perhaps something changed along the way (or I'm just flat out wrong).

Seems odd that they wouldn't give us some sort of way of protecting ourselves there, but then again - it seems very on brand, all the same.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, terrygrantvo said:

Seems odd that they wouldn't give us some sort of way of protecting ourselves there, but then again - it seems very on brand, all the same.

You can protect yourself, if someone sends an inapropriate message you mark as Spam and they are blocked. 

If a person was a bad client, you can block..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Never had anyone I blocked able to place another order with me. However, most of the time the people I block normally annoy me via inbox. So I block them before they can even place an order. It's like, if you're like this in the inquiries part of the process, I can only imagine what you're like as an actual customer or client. As far as I can remember, in my ten years or so on Fiverr, I've only blocked two clients after doing business with them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the same person came back, placed yet another order, despite being blocked. I have no idea what Fiverr is doing here, the person is blocked and yet they still place orders without a problem.

I am very unhappy about this, I don't like the idea of constantly getting penalized for nothing, even if I have a gig with lots of reviews, I am just as unhappy as anyone when their order is not judged fairly. I pour a lot of attention and focus into this, and knowing my work is just randomly reviewed is removing all my motivation to do any work for this person.

I already told them I can't work on their stuff anymore and then blocked. But they were still able to place an order. The second order placed after I blocked them. I went to customer support and hopefully they cancel this order without me getting penalized, but I am more concerned that they can always come back and place another order. So hopefully the solve the blocking issue for me. That's the worst problem I am facing when it comes to this person.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 2

And to make things even worse, I explained them I can't cancel myself because I can get penalized, and he said he went to customer support asking for me to not get penalized. I had this happen one time before, when I received an account warning for an order because the person asked for the review to be removed. I really hope I avoid that. And it's all because Fiverr's blocking system doesn't work all the time.

Anyway, the reason why I am sharing this here is for people to take notice that the blocking system might not always work, so be careful how you deal with clients. I will update with the resolution.

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

And to make things even worse, I explained them I can't cancel myself because I can get penalized, and he said he went to customer support asking for me to not get penalized. I had this happen one time before, when I received an account warning for an order because the person asked for the review to be removed. I really hope I avoid that. And it's all because Fiverr's blocking system doesn't work all the time.

Anyway, the reason why I am sharing this here is for people to take notice that the blocking system might not always work, so be careful how you deal with clients. I will update with the resolution.

Thank you for sharing with us.

This is a horrible experience. They must be finding the gig through a previous order.

Good luck! I hope that this gets resolved quickly and fairly.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Good luck! I hope that this gets resolved quickly and fairly.

Thank you. I will definitely update, for now there's no reply from customer support, but I just sent the request a few hours ago. I am not rushing this, but I do hope I can cancel the order and hopefully the person understands I am not ok working with them. It's just business... after all.

• Like 10

An update here.

Fiverr support canceled the order and they told me there's an issue with the blocking system. It is indeed an error on their side and people can actually purchase from you even if you blocked them. So, be warned, it can happen. The support person I talked with told me they are addressing the issue, but keep in mind, it's an issue you can face.

• Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, best_cv_guru said:

The blocked person can just register a different account and then come back to your gig and order or contact you. Is the user ID exactly the same? I'm curious to know that.

It's a blocked person that still had the ability to place orders. Customer support confirmed the blocking system is broken and they are working on it. I specifically told the person I can't help anymore with that topic, so they stopped.. for now I guess :)))

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 8:05 AM, mandyzines said:

And wait until 10 days after the order is complete, otherwise they can say whatever untruthful things you have documented proof of in their 1 star review. That's the bugger--what can transpire from the point that they order until then.

This is a great strategy. I had a terrible experience recently, but it was impossible to wait.

He was messaging me almost 24/7, abusing me, had no regard for breaking ToS, and was forcing orders.

The 'Request to order' feature that some of us have received is the panacea for these situations.

We now have dignity as professionals. We cannot be forced to be abused.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

This is a great strategy. I had a terrible experience recently, but it was impossible to wait.

He was messaging me almost 24/7, abusing me, had no regard for breaking ToS, and was forcing orders.

The 'Request to order' feature that some of us have received is the panacea for these situations.

Right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/28/2022 at 10:05 AM, theratypist said:

What was your method of "blocking"?

1.png.1dc479a93f69cd70b4895d327a1ff6c2.png

I assume it would have been the route of going to the person's profile and clicking the word "block".. This only appears after at least one order has been marked as complete with the buyer.

Once that happens it should state something like this below.

block.thumb.png.def4d1643d4a2c8f05676e2fff0fa5b5.png

From experience, I've never had an order/message again from that said buyer again through the above route...

However, the route of reporting or marking as spam (or whatever related term) to block someone just through messages. I've noticed those were able to pass through. But the most experience I've had with that were new buyers (and not buyers I've had previous orders with)... I know its a bit off topic, but I guess you can't truly block a potential buyer from purchasing from you.

Anyhow, Fiverr help seems to confirm that you can block OLD buyers both through messages and profile page. And they should (ideally) not be able to communicate or place an order with you.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011288898-Blocking-certain-buyers

To block a buyer:

1. Navigate yourself to the buyer's user profile page
  2. Click Block.
  3. Select a reason from the list. 
  4. Click Submit.
Notes:
  • You can also block a buyer by using the report a message feature as seen in your inbox.
  • Once the buyer has been blocked, they will not be able to communicate or place an order with you.
  • The blocked buyer will be unable to view neither your Gigs nor your profile.
  • You may choose to unblock and do so by clicking Unblock.

Can I block any user?

You can only block buyers who have previously placed an order with you.

Thanks for this @theratypist... It will be helpful

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sunboatrecords said:

Yes. I was kind of being held captive within an order I'd completed and they wouldn't accept while asking for freebies and discounts on future orders. (3 cents per word was just too expensive--HA!) The review states that I'd sprung hidden charges on them and kept their client waiting. The biggest kicker was that they were also a seller--not currently selling anything here, really, other than maybe as the middle man for my tracks, but, still. They were far from being ignorant about how things work here.

And you brought up a point earlier about the Seller Plus qualifications and waiting periods. Not only did this bad review take me out of visibility for months, I can see where I'd get skipped for that review as well.

Something about having to pay for a way to avoid these situations doesn't sit well with me, but I also don't qualify to pay for that feature. I'm 100% qualified to boost to Level 2 come the next profile review on the 16th, and more than half of my orders are from return clients. 

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Yes. I was kind of being held captive within an order I'd completed and they wouldn't accept while asking for freebies and discounts on future orders. The review states that I'd sprung hidden charges on them and kept their client waiting. The biggest kicker was that they were also a seller--not currently selling anything here, really, other than maybe as the middle man for my tracks, but, still. 

And you brought up a point earlier about the Seller Plus qualifications and waiting periods. Not only did this bad review take me out of visibility for months, I can see where I'd get skipped for that review as well.

Something about having to pay for a way to avoid these situations doesn't sit well with me, but I also don't qualify to pay for that feature. I'm 100% qualified to boost to Level 2 come the next profile review on the 16th, and more than half of my orders are from return clients. 

Ask your repeat clients to fill out the private survey and tell Fiverr about their experience with you.

Your buyer satisfaction ratio will improve in no time.

Of course, do tell them in what way to fill it. Just in general or honestly.

This advice has been given to some of us by SSMs. I saw it in the seller plus forum.

These scum artists shouldn't have such power over us. We have to leverage the appreciation and support of our good clients.

And something more personal. Do you know how I held it together while this guy was abusing me? I kept thinking of a wonderful kindergarten teacher for whom I had mixed a 3-hour film, a few days ago. He is teaching grammar to little kids and does puppet shows etc. This is why I am here. Not to be abused.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Ask your repeat clients to fill out the private survey and tell Fiverr about their experience with you.

Your buyer satisfaction ratio will improve in no time.

Of course, do tell them in what way to fill it. Just in general or honestly.

This advice has been given to some of us by SSMs. I saw it in the seller plus forum.

These scum artists shouldn't have such power over us. We have to leverage the appreciation and support of our good clients.

And something more personal. Do you know how I held it together while this guy was abusing me? I kept thinking of a wonderful kindergarten teacher for whom I had mixed a 3-hour film, a few days ago. He is teaching grammar to little kids and does puppet shows etc. This is why I am here. Not to be abused.

That seems like SUCH a fun project and way to bond with another human creatively!  :classic_love: I love it when buyers have a deep personal connection to projects and that sort of synchronicity occurs. I'm doing a set of affirmations for a beautiful fluttering fairy sister-from-another-mister in Hong Kong right now I feel that way about.

Fiverr Gods, please send me more fluttering fairy women--or men.

This is new to me. So the survey isn't something that buyers automatically get linked to at some point?

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, mandyzines said:

This is new to me. So the survey isn't something that buyers automatically get linked to at some point?

Not at all. I suggest that you buy something to see how it works. I was a buyer for a fair amount of time before I started selling here.

The private survey arrives as a notification on the dashboard and e-mail. As a buyer, when I first saw that, I thought “WTH is this? I already left a review”.

I don't think that I ever filled out a private survey before I became a seller.

This is completely unbalanced because somebody who is dissatisfied, vindictive or whatever, may take the time to hurt you since their vibration is so low.

On the other hand, satisfied clients happily walk away and enjoy their product. 

PS. There is another private survey consisting of 1 question, and it comes before the public review.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, sunboatrecords said:

Not at all. I suggest that you buy something to see how it works. I was a buyer for a fair amount of time before I started selling here.

The private survey arrives as a notification on the dashboard and e-mail. As a buyer, when I first saw that, I thought “WTH is this? I already left a review”.

I don't think that I ever filled out a private survey before I became a seller.

This is completely unbalanced because somebody who is dissatisfied, vindictive or whatever, may take the time to hurt you since their vibration is so low.

On the other hand, satisfied clients happily walk away and enjoy their product. 

PS. There is another private survey consisting of 1 question, and it comes before the public review.

Oh! I don't recall seeing one before. I was just about to buy some music. I'll pay better attention! Thank you!

Edited by mandyzines
words :)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

I went through the same experience. Buyer was blocked but still placed 3 orders back to back. I informed CS and they've cancelled all the 3 orders from their side. Now, I haven't gotten a reply as such on my ticket (Just 3 notifications saying 'Fiverr Customer Support cancelled your order'). I'm just curious if this is going to affect my order completion rate, ranking and impressions in the future.

I'm expecting a reply from CS, but if any one has gone through the same (any effect on order completion rate, gig rank and/or impressions), please let me know your experience.

Good day and good vibes.

Edited by oreo199
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2