Petition To stop the 5 Star Rating System

youtubefun

Reply to @anarchofighter:

0.5. I have read every single word you just wrote. Be prepared for a long reply.

1. I am completely sincere with my good luck. I mean it. I wish good luck to this petition. I just don’t support it, thats all. Are you saying I am not allowed to wish luck to a petition, even though I am not for it?

2. I see your point on what you mean. If you get 10 ratings of 5 stars, your average comes out to be 5. Right? So if you get two 4.5s, five 5s, one 4, two 1s, (VERY confused people) you average comes out to be 4. Which I get it, is very bad, its on the verge of bad rating. But if they had the thumbs up/down system, those would come out as all thumbs up, as the 1s wont be confused, and the 4 would just be thumbs up.

3. Yes, I am incredibly naive. And I am actually slightly wincing at what I wrote right now.

4. In my opinion, (which I know you guys are all probably sick of by now) “Blaming the victim” only goes so far. Should you get a job if you don’t have all the necessary skills? If you break under the pressure of the job because you don;t have the skills required, that isn’t really blaming the victim. You should have been ready. If you can’t handle children, should you become a kindergarten teacher?

5. Now, I do understand that

anarchofighter said: We can have a legitimate grievance and that should be heard and respected.

But here's the thing. People working in mines or sweatshops might not have a choice on where to work. People on Fiverr do. They don't have to work on Fiverr. If you look up "Sites like Fiverr" on Google, tons of results come up.

6. I really, truly, do NOT mean to be rude or offensive in any way. I'm just disagreeing.

Reply to @stop_it_man: You are fine. Don’t worry about it. I may be a child, but I can take it. You guys are right. The ARS is a pretty bad system. But i really don;t think it is worth the effort, because Fiverr would probably not change it. But maybe one day we will all look back on this and the 5 star stuff would be gone. I really do mean the best of luck to this petition.

Thanks for the discussion and the debate. 🙂

Reply to @friendbear: I was giving the star rating a fair try, just like you, I though, if I offer perfect work, perfect communications and don’t breake under pressure I will be fine…Wrong.

Yesterday, I was blackmailed into giving free work, I had already given this seller 3 for 1, took me an entire day and gave him free fast delivery.

He gave me a 1 star rating in all catogories, because I refused to work for free.

People are against it, because the avarage gig price is so little and we don’t sel phisical goods, like on ebay or Amazon. We provide services which makes things very difficult.

I think you had any problems jet, but when you start selling more and more gig’s you will see what everybody is talking about.

I am a buyer as well, I bought obver 60 gigs in 3 month and as a buyer I love the rating. As a seller not so much. It gives to much power to one site.

I’m seriously skeptical the marketplace is gonna survive if they press forward with the "star system."

I’ve already gotten my first “useful” 3-star review, and let me put it this way. After my first “thumbs down” I made a policy of overdelievering to such an absurd degree no rational person could do anything but punch the “Thumbs UP!” button in awe. As one of my buyers put it, “The contents are worth way more than the $5 – just click the button and buy!”

…and now I gotta worry about people giving 3 stars just because it’s merely “useful”…? What do I gotta do, parachute into their living rooms?!

Reply to @friendbear: I understand what you are saying, and also believe star feedback works fine there as it does on big freelancer webs (With BIG budgets) but you just can’t compare amazon/ebay with a web where almost everything is sold at $5… Makes no sense at all, we are not speaking about big products here (As the one being sold on the webs you named), we are speaking of $5 services, it’s a complex rating system for such a low budget, it’s easy to manipulate against the freelancer.

I haven’t had any bad experience yet with the new rating system, I have very polite and friendly buyers, but it adds a huge pression indeed, I can take it on hourly projects or big fixed price project but for $5? Really?

Okay I need to say something too.

I thought about this ARS once more (yeah I know, ARS didnt deserve that someone is actually thinking about it).

People who are selling stuff, what requires shipping and stuff. They send stuff right away. And it is very good chance that items will not come in desired time. That isnt sellers fault, that is fault of people who are delivering. And because of “delivery” time people could rate 3 star or something because they arent satisfied with delivery time. Even they got perfectly good item to their homes, they will say delivery didnt come in time.

Not all will say that, but it will be people to rate like that. Almost every country has different holidays, and when you are shipping across whole continent who knows where item can be stuck.

One example is I ordered from ebay not so long ago some item and it came around 10 days. I ordered from Australia once and it came in around 4 days or so. But who knows next time how it will be. And I am not person who will look at ordering time and give less stars then max.

But, this is fiverr. People act different here. Buyers expect miracles for 5$ (4 actually).

And even if they like order and stuff, they can easily find something that isnt ok. For example I am working alot in excel. And they could easily say, hey I am unhappy with column width I will give you 4 star lol. And stuff like that.

Or they can just say, 4 stars are great too. Maybe for buyer, but not for seller.

And one more thing, everyone could request modifications, I dont mind to do it. But if I will do all modification and get less then 5 stars, what is point of doing modifications? What is point now for making perfect orders if you will not get 5 stars.

When I started to work on fiverr, actually I made account 2 years ago but started to work last year, it was version 1 still and I couldnt get much orders. Like every begginer. But when I did, I gave all what is in my power to make that order right, and thats how I got orders more and more. And it was thumbs up rating. Now for example, new people who join here, how they supposed to “grow” in sales if people will give them 4 stars or something even they had amazing orders?

Sorry about writing all what I have in mind here, but I needed to say all.

So yeah, ARS is really bad, really bad for sellers.

I asked few of my regural buyers about this ARS and they werent happy at all with this. And said that buyers have more power now.

I thought working at home will be stress free or at least a little stress. I guess I was wrong, there are a lot of stress now with this ARS

One said here “if you can’t handle the stress, you shouldn’t sell”… I will just say, you will learn someday what stress really is.

Hole 1k++ : People writing alot on forums now lol

Reply to @friendbear: Life isn’t fair, but when I’m being paid $4 per gig, I don’t expect to be judged on every single aspect of my transaction.

Customers don’t come to fiverr in order to receive a platinum service, they come here to get a service completed for a bargain price. If the end-product is not quite as expected, the buyer should raise their budget and hire a company, complete with binding contractual agreements, instead of harassing a sellers to create a 5-page website for $5.

Reply to @es3man: This is exactly what I’m talking about and I couldn’t agree more. Also: What good is to sellers if we see the buyer has a low rating? We can’t filter out low-rated buyers; if they purchase a gig, we have to try to get them to agree to a mutual cancellation request. Even if they will, if we do too many of those, Fiverr penalizes us. This is positively draconian.

I have checked out ARS system. Here are my views based on whatever I understood so far:

• The major flaw in it as per my understanding is in not converting the already existing thumbs up/down into equivalent stars.

• Second issue is the ease with which determined bad buyers can abuse it.

• Third - buyers who are clueless might rate something random.

• Fourth - Support would get many more requests reg not so correct rating for the work done. Would support put itself in the shoes of buyer, re-evaluate and correct the stars in that case?

Archived