Are any Firefox users also experiencing problems using the main site?

mandyzines

I thought it might have been my lack of recent browser updates, but, nope. The problem persists. I cannot navigate anywhere on the main site without the page freezing. Although, the home page is the worst. Sometimes I can't even navigate away from it.

I don't have this issue on other sites.

• Like 9

Why use Firefox? There are tons of other, better browsers out there. If you want privacy, Brave is an excellent option built on Chromium. Microsoft Edge is also built on Chromium, and has some nice privacy features if you decide to entrust your data with Microsoft. Chrome is the all-rounder but privacy and RAM usage sucks. 

Firefox? It uses a different engine from all the popular browsers out there, so you'll naturally come across problems because the web is mostly designed around the big boy on the market: the Chromium engine. 

• Like 7
  • Up 2

When using it not logged in it only freezes for me after I click on a gig image and it's shown it or after something else that will make a window pop-up (not sure if it's to do with my Firefox preferences (with it set to block pop up windows), but the same happens after I click on a gig image with Chrome too - again it might be something to do with preferences).

If it's not to do with that you could also check other settings in Firefox (like performance settings etc.). eg. it might have been a recent thing that Firefox introduced hardware acceleration - if that affects some sites you could try turning it off.

Also if the page is freezing (or going very slow), you could see if there's some URL trying to load (that it might be failing on). You could check what the URL says at the bottom left when it does that (if you don't have all scripts enabled it might skip things that might slow it down like ad/tracking sites).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Why use Firefox? There are tons of other, better browsers out there. If you want privacy, Brave is an excellent option built on Chromium. Microsoft Edge is also built on Chromium, and has some nice privacy features if you decide to entrust your data with Microsoft. Chrome is the all-rounder but privacy and RAM usage sucks. 

Firefox? It uses a different engine from all the popular browsers out there, so you'll naturally come across problems because the web is mostly designed around the big boy on the market: the Chromium engine. 

I started using Firefox in college, almost 20 years ago, and it's been very good to me. I'm one of those people who are loyal to things...when they've been good to me. I can't even get rid of my 23 year-old truck! If freezing becomes an issue on more than Fiverr, then I might consider learning and adapting to a new browser. It probably would be Brave. Thank you for the recommendation!

41 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

When using it not logged in it only freezes for me after I click on a gig image and it's shown it or after something else that will make a window pop-up (not sure if it's to do with my Firefox preferences (with it set to block pop up windows), but the same happens after I click on a gig image with Chrome too - again it might be something to do with preferences).

If it's not to do with that you could also check other settings in Firefox (like performance settings etc.). eg. it might have been a recent thing that Firefox introduced hardware acceleration - if that affects some sites you could try turning it off.

Also if the page is freezing (or going very slow), you could see if there's some URL trying to load (that it might be failing on). You could check what the URL says at the bottom left when it does that (if you don't have all scripts enabled it might skip things that might slow it down like ad/tracking sites).

Ah that hardware acceleration has been wonky before; now I remember. I'll check that. It's the first page we're directed to after logging in that's been debilitating. I don't know if you get the same one, but as sellers we get a page urging us to buy and we have to navigate away from it for our seller-specific account. I'll check the URL trying to load next time I log in. That little Firefox message comes up in a banner asking if I want to stop loading the page, every time, and trying to click on any link in that page does not work, whether I decide to do it or not. I'll diagnose further. Thanks for the tips!

• Like 11

Just now, mandyzines said:

I started using Firefox in college, almost 20 years ago, and it's been very good to me. I'm one of those people who are loyal to things...when they've been good to me. I can't even get rid of my 23 year-old truck! If freezing becomes an issue on more than Fiverr, then I might consider learning and adapting to a new browser. It probably would be Brave. Thank you for the recommendation!

Haha - I see! Perhaps it's time to upgrade your browser of choice and your 23 year-old truck (even though I can understand why that would be difficult. The truck, I mean). 

I don't think it's much of a learning curve anymore. I've gone from Chrome to Edge to Vivaldi to Brave and it's been very smooth sailing. Most browsers these days have a great export/import feature to move bookmarks, passwords and such, so that helps a lot! Brave is my browser of choice, and I wouldn't have it any other way. No other browser protects my privacy like Brave does and the built-in adblocker is something I couldn't live without. I remember back in the Chrome days, when I had to re-install, update and try different Adblockers to remove ads on Youtube. After a week, I had to do it again. In the end, Youtube just stopped working if I used any adblockers. With Brave, it just works. No ads, Ever. And I don't have to install some third-party extension to do it. 

I mean.. Just look at these stats since I started using Brave: 

image.png.e35a07584fa3420746caebedf83090a0.png

It's faster as well because of the privacy features. 

• Like 6
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

I use firefox and avoid Chrome in any of it's forms - it's little better than a google surveillance tool.

Try turing off add ons - I have to keep some of my tools off most of the time. 

The one thing I find with firefox is that the cache fills up quite fast.  Once it gets to a gig, it slows everything down dramatically.

Never have any issues with Fiverr on firefox.  Must be a British thing.

Edited by coerdelion
typo
  • Like 7
  • Up 2

I just logged into Fiverr with Firefox and didn't have that issue with it failing to load a page. I was already in the buyer section before I logged in then it left me in the buyer section when I logged in I think. I also got a message about the new Fiverr navigation that I'd already had with Chrome previously.

24 minutes ago, coerdelion said:

The one thing I find with firefox is that the cache fills up quite fast. Once it gets to a gig, it slows everything down dramatically

I think mine did slow down when I'd set it manually to use a very big cache or something. With it set to use the recommended amount I haven't had it slowing down really. Though it might be due to my PC and the processor/RAM/SSD it uses that it doesn't slow down for me much.

39 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

I'll check the URL trying to load next time I log in. That little Firefox message comes up in a banner asking if I want to stop loading the page, every time, and trying to click on any link in that page does not work, whether I decide to do it or not. I'll diagnose further.

I've got NoScript which skips scripts that I don't enable (hopefully Fiverr don't mind about that too much). But if it's some script/site that's stopping you from working on Fiverr (and it's not vital for use with Fiverr) in theory it should be okay to not enable it. I know Fiverr would prefer we enable all scripts though.

eg. Fiverr.com and Fiverrcdn.com might be the only sites you might really need to enable scripts for when using Fiverr (others might be for various metrics, ads, tracking which might slow it down/hang sometimes if that other site can't be loaded reasonably quickly).

Also if it happens when you log in you could leave it logged in rather than keeping logging out as long as there's no security reason not to. Like if it's only used by you you may not need  to log out of it.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9
  • Up 1

23 hours ago, uk1000 said:

I just logged into Fiverr with Firefox and didn't have that issue with it failing to load a page. I was already in the buyer section before I logged in then it left me in the buyer section when I logged in I think. I also got a message about the new Fiverr navigation that I'd already had with Chrome previously.

I think mine did slow down when I'd set it manually to use a very big cache or something. With it set to use the recommended amount I haven't had it slowing down really. Though it might be due to my PC and the processor/RAM/SSD it uses that it doesn't slow down for me much.

I've got NoScript which skips scripts that I don't enable (hopefully Fiverr don't mind about that too much). But if it's some script/site that's stopping you from working on Fiverr (and it's not vital for use with Fiverr) in theory it should be okay to not enable it. I know Fiverr would prefer we enable all scripts though.

eg. Fiverr.com and Fiverrcdn.com might be the only sites you might really need to enable scripts for when using Fiverr (others might be for various metrics, ads, tracking which might slow it down/hang sometimes if that other site can't be loaded reasonably quickly).

Also if it happens when you log in you could leave it logged in rather than keeping logging out as long as there's no security reason not to. Like if it's only used by you you may not need  to log out of it.

I tried staying logged in. It seems to have worked! Thank you!

23 hours ago, smashradio said:

Haha - I see! Perhaps it's time to upgrade your browser of choice and your 23 year-old truck (even though I can understand why that would be difficult. The truck, I mean). 

I don't think it's much of a learning curve anymore. I've gone from Chrome to Edge to Vivaldi to Brave and it's been very smooth sailing. Most browsers these days have a great export/import feature to move bookmarks, passwords and such, so that helps a lot! Brave is my browser of choice, and I wouldn't have it any other way. No other browser protects my privacy like Brave does and the built-in adblocker is something I couldn't live without. I remember back in the Chrome days, when I had to re-install, update and try different Adblockers to remove ads on Youtube. After a week, I had to do it again. In the end, Youtube just stopped working if I used any adblockers. With Brave, it just works. No ads, Ever. And I don't have to install some third-party extension to do it. 

I mean.. Just look at these stats since I started using Brave: 

image.png.e35a07584fa3420746caebedf83090a0.png

It's faster as well because of the privacy features. 

I probably will eventually go to Brave, and Yandex. I just focus a lot of time on developing skills at the moment. Thank you for all of your help!

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, uk1000 said:

I switched to the Brave browser a couple of days ago. Pages stopped freezing on this site, and overall it uses less resources than my beloved Firefox. That was such an easy transition. You were/are right. Thanks!

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 3