We’ve Got to Take Care of Ourselves!

vickieito

35 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

Sorry, never heard of that before. Where did you get that info??

There are quite a few different articles out there, I should have been clearer, you defintely do need wash it with water to get the dirt, polution and dead skin out, and to keep a clean scalp etc, but don't have to use shampoos / cleaning products on it.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/how-does-hair-clean-itself

Edited by williambryan392
  • Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

I had so many interruptions while writing this!

Thanks everyone for your comments! A lot happened while I was post-limited. 😊 I had fun reading this thread!

I hope I can reply back to all of you in this single post (my 5th post of the day)!

@mandyzines & @zeus777 - your fur babies are so cute! We have cat allergies at our house, but we do watch cat videos on YouTube every night. Our favorite is Hikakin's cat Maruo. I don't know why, but we just love watching him! He's so cute when he stands up like a human. Do your cats do silly things, too?

You sound so healthy, @mandyzines! I need to follow your example! I'm 100% Okinawan, so supposedly we're supposed to be eating healthy and living long. My great-grandmother lived to the age of 107. However, ever since my family moved to Hawaii a few generations ago, they have had really bad diets. So I've had aunties and uncles dying from heart disease in their 30's.

@zeus777 - I'm envious of your hair! Mine used to be really thick, but now it's 1/4th what it used to be. I like your secrets to good health - eating, sleeping, watching funny YT videos, laughing out loud, and going to sleep in a good mood! 

@williambryan392, I love to eat, too! That's why I became a food scientist. There was always free food!😂 So like you, the omad diet works very well for me! I only need to worry about my Oisix meal and I'm good for the day. ...on the hair - I think you're on to something. My husband only lets me use shampoo once a week...

@katakatica, here's a picture of our Oisix dinner yesterday. Sorry for the food stains! I'm always so messy when I cook!

image.thumb.png.6ca8a6b64184a8130e043e7b04b61d9f.png

@breals! So glad to hear that you actually became healthier during the lockdown! I got pretty soft because I wasn't chasing trains, climbing stairs, and commuting all the time. I agree with you - It's so easy to get caught up in things (including our Fiverr work) and forget about our health. I'm lucky I have my husband to remind me to take care of myself. And if I notice my pants are shrinking, that means I need to get up and move more! 

@smashradio - you are still young! It must be all those Monster drinks! 😂 Once you get to my age, I think you'll enjoy the siestas. Those are the highlight of my day!

@ashleymahan217 - I agree with you - we have to spend time with our kids. They grow up so fast! As for me waking up and visiting the forum ...am I the only one who does this?! (if so, I probably have an unhealthy addiction to the forum)

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

what do you think about shampoo....? Ok hear me out... I've heard that hair starts cleaning itself after a couple of months. Agree, disagree?

So here's what little I know!

I've heard this and I even know people who've tried omitting shampoo (or at least using it super rarely.) I actually try to wash my hair once a week or so (more in the summer) because of the colour/texture of my hair (read: blue comes out quick if you wash it too much) and if it's not dirty, I use conditioner and not much shampoo but it IS because I paid for this expensive as heck set of like, 6 products for this kind of hair

I'm firmly intent on getting the curls I had as a kid back (was stupid as a teen and fried my hair) so yeah. Trying to fix it now!

As for the actual question, I do think it actually could be true but I'd do in-depth research (and still condition/etc.) if needed! 

• Like 14
  • Up 1

14 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut??
Sorry, never heard of that before. Where did you get that info?? I didn't know our bodies came with an auto self-hair-cleaning ability like that.
I always use shampoo, but there really isn't a particular brand I prefer. So far all the shampoos I've been using are working quite well for me.

Also @mandyzines that fluffy white fellow is TOO cute, love the way the tongue is sticking out and the face is smooshed!
Here's my fur monster btw.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 15-16-38 Z Ogawa(@zzzeus777) • Instagram写真と動画.png

Something tells me that this kitty cat is far more of a companion than a pet!

• Like 12
  • Up 1

12 hours ago, vickieito said:

I had so many interruptions while writing this!

Thanks everyone for your comments! A lot happened while I was post-limited. 😊 I had fun reading this thread!

I hope I can reply back to all of you in this single post (my 5th post of the day)!

@mandyzines & @zeus777 - your fur babies are so cute! We have cat allergies at our house, but we do watch cat videos on YouTube every night. Our favorite is Hikakin's cat Maruo. I don't know why, but we just love watching him! He's so cute when he stands up like a human. Do your cats do silly things, too?

I bet that you are a good cook!

My Honey Butt likes to try to mimic the way that my mouth moves when I talk. It's not just an up and down movement of the jaw; he stares at my lips and moves his in a similar manner. It's crazy!

• Like 12
  • Up 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:59 AM, vickieito said:

Yesterday, my husband called me to an emergency, closed-door meeting. No kids allowed. I was curious why he called the meeting.

Sitting down beside his desk, I glanced at his dual-monitors and noticed all the articles and images pulled up for men’s 40+ styles and hair guides for those with graying hair.

“Vickie,” he announced, “We’re no longer young like we used to be. Gone are the days of no maintenance. We’ve got to take care of ourselves!” True, we are both aging Asians. My husband hit the magic 4-0 number a couple of months ago and I hit that magic number almost a year ago.

He then proceeded to go over facts and statistics regarding hair, skincare, dress, and overall health. He showed pictures of people who were aging well (as well as shocking pictures of people who were not). It was a fun meeting and I appreciate how my husband always reminds me to take better care of myself He’s the best.

Hair. I don’t have any gray hair…yet. I am looking into different, layered hairstyles instead of wearing my hair up in a bun all the time. My husband had his first white hair when he was 9 years old. So right now, he’s trying to transition to his natural gray color. I’m sure my gray hairs will start popping out any time now and my 13-year-old son will be the first person to tell me about them.

Skincare. Skincare was a big topic on our meeting. My husband has great skin. He uses different things for his skin in the morning and night and even bought me some skincare products. He has reiterated to me on numerous occasions that great skin is the key to youth. I’m making slow progress there. I used to use the same soap for my face and body. Now I use face wash. I haven’t been using the skincare products he bought me. So I’ll try to be more diligent there.

Dress. Style was another topic of discussion. Last week, my husband found me lounging about the apartment in his shorts (they were very comfortable by the way). Later that day he took me for a long walk. I thought it was a nice date, alone time with just me and him. But actually he was walking me to UNIQLO so that I could buy and wear my own clothes. 😂

I do need to dress better. I’m a creature of comfort. I got married in a muumuu and demanded that we have an all-you-can-eat kalua pork dinner buffet at our Hawaiian wedding. I’ll start by taking @smashradio's advice to at least start dressing up for work. I’ll also try to develop a better sense of style. My husband will be the judge. I do want to be beautiful for him. He’s the only person I want to dress to impress.

Overall Health. Healthwise, I know I’m not a young’un anymore. I take afternoon sietas. I gain weight just thinking about food. I make noises as I ease into and out of chairs. My 9-year-old daughter thinks I’m hilarious and joking all the time, but I’m not. I really am starting to feel my age.

I have shape, but not necessarily the shape I want. So I do need to take care of my health and fit again. Mental health wise, I need to follow my husband’s example.

In the morning, he wakes up and meditates.

...I wake up and check the forum. 😂

I’ve got to make some important life changes if I plan on growing old with him.

Anyone else trying to age gracefully? How are you taking care of yourself?

I try to take care of myself. I hate going to a gym. So I don't pay for something that I know I will never use. I do like going for long walks, so that is the way I stay in shape. I like to dance also. I love karaoke and that gets me moving around all the time. I had been coming to my studio (which is located in my house) in my pajamas. I had to stop though because some of my customers wanted to do a zoom meeting and that stopped that. I needed to dress better and be more conscious of my appearance. I live on a farm and drive a tractor and there is plenty of grass and hay to cut. I try to eat plenty of fresh vegetables and only a small amount of meat. I am making some natto tomorrow which is excellent for the body.  I believe that I missed out on my calling though, because I have been having this incredible urge to go rock climbing. Lol 

• Like 14
  • Up 1

6 hours ago, kendal1747 said:

I try to take care of myself. I hate going to a gym. So I don't pay for something that I know I will never use. I do like going for long walks, so that is the way I stay in shape. I like to dance also. I love karaoke and that gets me moving around all the time. I had been coming to my studio (which is located in my house) in my pajamas. I had to stop though because some of my customers wanted to do a zoom meeting and that stopped that. I needed to dress better and be more conscious of my appearance. I live on a farm and drive a tractor and there is plenty of grass and hay to cut. I try to eat plenty of fresh vegetables and only a small amount of meat. I am making some natto tomorrow which is excellent for the body.  I believe that I missed out on my calling though, because I have been having this incredible urge to go rock climbing. Lol 

You sound a lot like me! I like to work in my PJ's (on of the reason why I refuse to do Zoom meetings) and eat natto. My family has an organic aquaponics farm in Maui that sells healthy salad greens. We also grew moringa, taro, banana, jabong, oranges, and banana. I tried to plant a sapling cocoa tree from Samoa (in hopes of making my own chocolate), but the climate (and my black thumb) killed it. 

Although I haven't gone rock climbing since I lived in Utah, I did have a dream last night that I was leaping through a suburban neighborhood parkour-style. I really miss the big backyards in America. Things are a little cramped here in Tokyo. Ah...it was a great dream and I wish I could do it in real life!

You shouldn't give up on rock climbing! You don't have to go complete freestyle on the first go...maybe start with the indoor walls and work your way up? When I ran in the Salt Lake City marathon, there was this 87 year old grandma who was smoking me (her and this annoying man in a banana suit). After the race, she mentioned that she didn't start running until her 50s, and last 30 years of her life was the healthiest she's ever been. Talk about inspiration! 

• Like 11
  • Up 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, williambryan392 said:

There are quite a few different articles out there, I should have been clearer, you defintely do need wash it with water to get the dirt, polution and dead skin out, and to keep a clean scalp etc, but don't have to use shampoos / cleaning products on it.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/how-does-hair-clean-itself

or be like me and shave it off, so nothing to worry about and easiest self-care routine ever haha 🤓

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Up 1

7 hours ago, vickieito said:

After the race, she mentioned that she didn't start running until her 50s, and last 30 years of her life was the healthiest she's ever been. Talk about inspiration!

Wow, I love people like her. Yes, as soon as I get things (income up a little more and more free time) I am going to go indoor rock climbing. I went through a divorce a few years back and it has been rough, but I will overcome. Thank you so much for the inspiration! 

• Like 10
  • Up 1

7 hours ago, vickieito said:

We also grew moringa, taro, banana, jabong, oranges, and banana.

Can you tell me more about Moringa? I understand it is good for energy and I want to buy organic or at least something that has no chemicals. Thanking you in advance. Have a great weekend.

• Like 9
  • Up 2

10 hours ago, vickieito said:

You sound a lot like me! I like to work in my PJ's (on of the reason why I refuse to do Zoom meetings) and eat natto. My family has an organic aquaponics farm in Maui that sells healthy salad greens. We also grew moringa, taro, banana, jabong, oranges, and banana. I tried to plant a sapling cocoa tree from Samoa (in hopes of making my own chocolate), but the climate (and my black thumb) killed it.

I have nattokinase saved for rough times! There's a good chance that I've eaten greens from your family's farm if they ship to other islands. I eat a lot of greens! Are the Samoan cacao shorter, like the coconut trees?

• Like 9
  • Up 2

21 hours ago, finndev478 said:

or be like me and shave it off, so nothing to worry about and easiest self-care routine ever haha 🤓

@finndev478, I would love to do that (especially during these hot summer months)! ...but my husband would be so angry if I shaved my head!

16 hours ago, kendal1747 said:

Wow, I love people like her. Yes, as soon as I get things (income up a little more and more free time) I am going to go indoor rock climbing. I went through a divorce a few years back and it has been rough, but I will overcome. Thank you so much for the inspiration! 

You are a fighter! I see some of your threads on the forum and know how tough you can be! You've got this!

16 hours ago, kendal1747 said:

Can you tell me more about Moringa? I understand it is good for energy and I want to buy organic or at least something that has no chemicals. Thanking you in advance. Have a great weekend.

You might want to grow moringa yourselves - these trees are easy to care for and grow like weeds! They are easy to chop down with a machete, too (the wood is very soft). I chop the trees down to the trunk, and the next day there are leaves growing back from the stump (and the branches that I've cut up). I think you can even grow them indoors (but they can get huge really fast if you aren't cutting them down all the time).

13 hours ago, mandyzines said:

There's a good chance that I've eaten greens from your family's farm if they ship to other islands. I eat a lot of greens! Are the Samoan cacao shorter, like the coconut trees?

My family only delivers organic greens to a market that's 5 minutes from the farm so customers can get the freshest products. We eat a lot of salads and drink a lot of green smoothies. 😋

I'm not sure how tall the cacao trees get because mine died.😔 But I think they can grow more than 2x my height (I'm 4'10" or 148 cm). That seems big to me!

• Like 7
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 11:55 PM, zeus777 said:

BTW I want a weaponized umbrella too. Instead of bullets and darts, it shoots lightening from the tip and when I spin it around it produces M&Ms.

That's called a Forcebrella. It uses The Force for the lightening and The Schwartz for M&M production. 

Jumping on the whole cat thing going on there: 

image.png.9f4a1eff027f8004c70e33debf9df265.png

Got two more, but I couldn't find any pictures of them. All of them are rescue cats. Two of them just live outside (they don't like being inside) but the one in the photo (Stitch) is a cuddly boy. 

• Like 8
  • Up 2

Don't get me started on gray hair! I wish I had gray hair, instead mine decided to say "bye-bye" and stopper growing back a couple of years ago. Still not bald, but I know that in 1 tear or 2 I will need to shave my head together with my beard 😭

• Like 6
  • Up 2

19 hours ago, vickieito said:

You could keep the beard and moustache, @samus_x! You don't have to get rid of all the hair!

Me, bald, just with moustache/beard, that gives me the perfect angry biker look (I tried it, I swear). I don't want to scare my customers away 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 1:29 AM, williambryan392 said:

I started using omad (one meal a day) a couple of years ago. I have little self control and can use food as a crutch when I'm stressed or bored. 

I don't do it constantly, but in spurts for a few weeks when my lack of self control gets the better of me. It does take some getting used to initially, but the benefits, in addition to the physical results is that it really helps with focus (no sugar highs or crashes) and also I just have more time because I'm not wondering about breakfast and lunch. I can enjoy a brilliant dinner of whatever I want, and I'm still in a calorie defecit.

I want to ask all the hair aficionados @zeus777, @vickieito, @katakatica and anyone else... what do you think about shampoo....? Ok hear me out... I've heard that hair starts cleaning itself after a couple of months. Agree, disagree?

I've never heard of hair cleaning itself but ancient relatives seem to get by without shampoo and they still had hair. Right? Lol

I do know that a lot of the popular shampoos are actually harmful to your hair's overall health as they strip away the oils and nutrients. I've had a huge struggle with shampoo...who wants to spend $30 on a small bottle of shampoo (especially when you have kids that like to squirt out an entire bottle of your brand new, expensive shampoo before you use it)?!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1