If your gigs start getting less than 5 star rating, would you leave Fiverr?

steveeyes

I was wondering how many sellers would throw in the towel if there gig rating started to go down because of ARS? Would your leave Fiverr or just delete the gig or would you do something else?

I don’t think complaining to CS will get you anywhere, so what would you do?

Today, my first gig has reduced from 5.0 to 4.9.

No big deal you might think, only every feedback on this gig is GLOWING.

My only crime? Not delivering soon enough (despite delivering a whole day early).

Yes I too would, and am planning to leave ASAP.

I would def. start looking elsewhere… especially if I’m getting docked for delivery timeframe. After all, there’s a real good reason my timeframe for the popular rewrite gig being 29 days. If Fiverr would have implemented a system that increased the timeframe for multiple gigs, I wouldn’t have had to do it myself… But, of course, that would mean Fiverr admins and CS were actually listening to us… which is obvious they are not…

You know… I was heated before on this topic but the more and more I think about it, the more P.O.ed I get… I feel like I did at the newspaper business, which really sucks! I hate that feeling… and it’s getting to be no longer fun to write… I blame this on Fiverr’s new star rating…

Buyers, if you cannot understand WHY my delivery timeframe is so long… please move on! I don’t need the stress and headache of you asking me every day or every other day, when your order is going to be complete. If you want it faster, PAY FOR IT! And, don’t dock me because I can’t get to it sooner… Life happens - I have an outside job, I have a large queue and I have a family… I have to find time to fit this in just like I do with the gym…

I’m generally up at 4 a.m. every morning and in bed by 9 p.m. to work for ya’ll, take care of my family, do my job and go to the gym. If you can’t understand this, then please don’t order my service! I don’t need the added stress and headache the responsive star is going to give me.

I don’t want to rush any of my orders so quit asking me when you’ll get your order. You’ll get it before the 29 days is up…

I would.

Most of what is sold here is custom work, specially crafted for each buyer. And I think that’s what Fiverr just doesn’t quite understand. Every review feels personal because it’s your work, your face, your talent, your voice being criticized on a microscopic level. We’re not talking about quarterly evaluations here. These reviews roll in multiple times a day–sometimes on $5 work that was completed a year ago. And that’s not fun. And when it’s not fun, $4 isn’t worth it.

I don’t want to be rated on a star system. I just don’t.

Reply to @fayestap: I was thinking about how some work is subjective (I hope I’m using the right word). What I mean is that 1 + 1 = 2 so if you put it equals 3, it is wrong. While Art work, writing, voice overs, etc isn’t a matter of right or wrong but what is acceptable depends on the person, not the work done. I may look at a picture and think “wow that is great” and another person could look at it and say “it’s ok, but not my cup of tea”. So ARS is more of a critic tool than a tool to measure if you are doing everything you said you will do in the gig description. You could do everything you say you would, and still get a 2 or 3 star just because that’s all they will give. Stinks.

Reply to @typingservice: At the moment, you don’t have access to those individual stats.

For example for a gig you delivered, you get 4 stars for Communication – 5 stars for Expectation and 3 stars for Recommendation.

For that individual gig you will see the overall average from the 3 star rating, but you won’t know which one had 4 stars, which one had 5 stars and which one had 3 stars.

Good luck.

What I see is an individual average for each - Communication with Seller, Service as Expected, and Buy Again or Recommend. If I see lower ratings in any of those areas, it may be something I can improve upon. For example - if Service as Expected is 4 stars, and the other two are 5 stars. Then I may want to look at my gig descriptions to see if I’m setting the right expectations. That’s all I’m trying to say. If I had my way, I would probably prefer the thumbs up or thumbs down system. Although, I’m pretty easy going for the most part. When I’m not in control, I usually just try to find ways to adapt. Overall, I really like Fiverr and think this is an awesome site to sell on.

Only if I lose my levels. My buyers actually said they don’t care in regards to rating, as no matter what I offer they know for a $5 to $200 value, when other places charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars they’re still getting a good deal. Now if I lose my levels because of it, that’s when I would probably pack up and leave. I was thinking of leaving previously, but if my levels aren’t effected it won’t really impact my sales. There is some gigs with many numerous bad feedback, but yet still get volumes of sales.

steveeyes said: Reply to @typingservice: Point taken. But if all of a sudden I see an overall rating of 4 stars for Expected, I may scratch my head and ask "I wonder which gig(s) it was I did not do as expected" Unless I know that, it is hard to know what I did wrong so I can improve upon it.

If I had a buyer give a lower rating, I would check the category breakdown at the top of the particular gigs rating area, to see which category was affected. That would require that you know your rating beforehand, and keep an eye on it. Most of us do that anyway.

With that said, it could still be helpful without knowing which buyer. You might notice trends over time. Let's say a high-volume seller is doing great overall, but the Communication with Seller on many of his gigs has the weakest rating. They might want to look for ways to improve in that area.

Reply to @typingservice: I agree with you as long as we get buyers who use the rating system as intended and not as a way to scam sellers. As Fiverr has grown so have unethical buyers (sellers too). Lets make the playing field even. If buyers ratings are posted in sellers profile, than so should sellers rating be posted in buyers profiles. This may help weed out unethical buyers and sellers, but as is, ratings only effects sellers reputation making the playing field tilted in favor of buyers. Get rid of buyers using the rating system as a way to blackmail and abuse sellers and you won’t hear a peep out me. Heck, already there are posts on the forum of buyers abusing the rating system – blackmailing sellers – in this thread you will find one of many scattered though out the forum –

http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/35836/fiverr-ars-blog-over-330-comments-lets-make-it-to-500-comments-on-the-ars-blog-by-sunday#Item_30

First he gives 5 stars than asks for more than in the gig and he changes his rating from 5 to 1 star. Childish buyer and just one example of many where the star system is being used by buyers to abuse sellers.

Stop the abuse or make the playing field even and I have no qualms about using a rating system as long as it is being used as it was intended to be used. Not as a weapon to be used to get your way or they will shoot you in the head with 1 star as pay back.

Reply to @typingservice:

The problem with this approach is it presupposes that 5-stars is the standard (and for us it is) but Fiverr has listed it as "excellent"

3-stars is “satisfactory” according to Fiverr even though they count it as a “negative review!” LOL

(It’s like the old joke, if you’re on-time, you’re late…and if you’re late, don’t bother showing up).

Further, it also assumes “sane” rating and expectations.

What if I gave you a 4-star review because …I don’t like ‘handing out’ 5-star reviews. What if basically I say, there’s NOTHING you could have done to have gotten one from me?

typingservice said: With that said, it could still be helpful without knowing which buyer. You might notice trends over time. Let's say a high-volume seller is doing great overall, but the Communication with Seller on many of his gigs has the weakest rating. They might want to look for ways to improve in that area.

All of this would be MORE possible if the star ratings were "hidden" and not public.

If the information was sent to sellers privately.

Why?

Well, a) there's not motivation to lie and b) it's only the trend that has any information not the individual rating.

Archived