Plagiarism Allowed?

mubashir151

Greetings 

Hope you are alright and doing well. I have a query that is what percentage of plagiarism, Fiverr allows to be used in the gig description? 

As we all know gig description will be best if we also write background and working of the service we providing. 

Experts please share your knowledge and experience. Any experience and knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

I have a query that is what percentage of plagiarism, Fiverr allows to be used in the gig description? 

Writing your background is not plagiarism.

Copying from me or any other seller is plagiarism. So, as long as you don't copy anything from anywhere, you don't have to worry about plagiarism.

If you do copy from others, even one bit...

giphy.gif

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Up 3

1 minute ago, donnovan86 said:

Writing your background is not plagiarism.

Copying from me or any other seller is plagiarism. So, as long as you don't copy anything from anywhere, you don't have to worry about plagiarism.

If you do copy from others, even one bit...

giphy.gif

What about if you have a gig like proofreading and writing. 

If you will tell the background of what is proofreading and editing, then it will be from internet. So there may be a plagiarism of 5 to 10%. That's why I am asking. 

As I have experienced like this. 

And the second thing I want to ask from you that is, why you don't encourage someone. 

Instead of encouraging you always insult and discourage. 🙄

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, mubashir151 said:

If you will tell the background of what is proofreading and editing, then it will be from internet. So there may be a plagiarism of 5 to 10%. That's why I am asking. 

I am actually a writer here. Are you serious?? The gig description should talk about you and your services, what you offer. Who comes here to read what is proofreading and editing??? They want someone offering that service. 

2 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

And the second thing I want to ask from you that is, why you don't encourage someone. 

Well if you want encouragement, come with a topic or content that deserves encouragement. It's a public forum, so what you post here reflects your beliefs and opinions. That doesn't mean what you say is right or wrong. And anyone can react the way they see fit. Any seller here should understand that plagiarism is not allowed. It's obvious. You can't copy someone else's work. And after you explained, you might want to reevaluate the type of service you provide. If you want to plagiarize content written by others.. what kind of writer or editor does that? 

But you do you, I was trying to help. If you think I discourage you, then ignore what I said and move on with your plan. I was actually helping you, but if you don't see that, then just ignore what I said. And by the way, I am not insulting anyone, just sharing an opinion. You were asking for an opinion, and I shared one + a funny gif related to what you said. How is that an insult? Anyway as I said, you do you 🙂 If you want to learn something from what I wrote, learn, if not, ignore it and move on. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

If you will tell the background of what is proofreading and editing, then it will be from internet. So there may be a plagiarism of 5 to 10%. That's why I am asking

I'm a TRS writer (okay still new to the rank but) but it NEVER occurred to me to wrote about the background of what I do. Even if I was an editor I wouldn't do it because that's not what people want to read. 

Especially in such niches (but just in general exactly 0% plagiarism should be the norm. Be original, find your voice. If you can't do that as someone in the field.... Find another job. 

(Not you in particular but just in general. )

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, katakatica said:

but just in general exactly 0% plagiarism should be the norm

Exactly. You can't and should never copy anyone. And what OP said, explaining what editing/proofreading is... The gig description has a limited amount of characters, one should use that to showcase their skills, not share the history of their field. But.. to each their own. OP felt I was insulting him by saying no plagiarism, even if this is what everyone expects as a client.. 

• Like 7
  • Up 3

3 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Exactly. You can't and should never copy anyone. And what OP said, explaining what editing/proofreading is...

My initial interpretation was that perhaps OP meant that if they were to rephrase a wiki article or something how different it'd have to be from the original? But even then it's just a no-no. 

I'd bore myself if I started my gigs with the history of games / writing. (Or as a buyer, I'd be bored if I had to read through paragraphs of h history.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Exactly. You can't and should never copy anyone. And what OP said, explaining what editing/proofreading is... The gig description has a limited amount of characters, one should use that to showcase their skills, not share the history of their field. But.. to each their own. OP felt I was insulting him by saying no plagiarism, even if this is what everyone expects as a client.. 

According to me forum is for learning. And if we have any query we can ask. Don't matter what we are asking. If we don't ask then how we learn. 🙂 

And thanks for the guidance. 

Edited by mubashir151
  • Like 8
  • Up 2

5 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

According to me forum is for learning. And if we have any query we can asked. Don't matter what we are asking.

Glad I was able to help even a little bit. 

As for what I quoted.. of course everyone will react in a different way. As you can see, I understood something completely different from what katakatica did. So yes, some people will have a different reactions, others will have sarcasm.. it's a forum, so it's pretty much filled with people from all walks of life and with different ideas/opinions.

Anyway, don't copy anything. Try to market yourself and your experience, knowledge. Don't share any history of anything, it's for the best.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Glad I was able to help even a little bit. 

As for what I quoted.. of course everyone will react in a different way. As you can see, I understood something completely different from what katakatica did. So yes, some people will have a different reactions, others will have sarcasm.. it's a forum, so it's pretty much filled with people from all walks of life and with different ideas/opinions.

Anyway, don't copy anything. Try to market yourself and your experience, knowledge. Don't share any history of anything, it's for the best.

Thank you. It's a good way of giving suggestions or advice to someone 💞

I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks again

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

According to me forum is for learning. And if we have any query we can asked. Don't matter what we are asking. If we don't ask then how we learn. 🙂 

What you said above is true.

However, there are some moral issues, such as plagiarizing another seller's gig or profile description, that everyone should understand is wrong.

@mubashir151 You said ⬇️

38 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

what percentage of plagiarism, Fiverr allows to be used in the gig description? 

This part of your post indicated you want to know if it is okay to plagiarize at least part of a gig description.

I am a proofreader and copyeditor, and I run all of my gigs through a plagiarism checker once a month. As a result, I have reported many sellers who have copied all or part of my gig or profile description. Fiverr permanently removes the gig of the sellers who have copied my descriptions.

Instead of asking what percentage of plagiarism is allowed, it may be better for you to make your entire gig and profile description unique.

• Like 6
  • Up 5

2 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

What you said above is true.

However, there are some moral issues, such as plagiarizing another seller's gig or profile description, that everyone should understand is wrong.

@mubashir151 You said ⬇️

This part of your post indicated you want to know if it is okay to plagiarize at least part of a gig description.

I am a proofreader and copyeditor, and I run all of my gigs through a plagiarism checker once a month. As a result, I have reported many sellers who have copied all or part of my gig or profile description. Fiverr permanently removes the gig of the sellers who have copied my descriptions.

Instead of asking what percentage of plagiarism is allowed, it may be better for you to make your entire gig and profile description unique.

I still don't make any gig by copying anyone description nor any part, I just use AI tool and check the plagiarism of that tool. It was showing only 5% and question plugged in my mind so I make a question. 

That was the real circumstance. 

• Like 7
  • Up 2

6 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

As we know there are many sellers on fiverr that are using AI tool for writing descriptions. Is it fine or not? 

Are you saying they are using AI tools to rewrite the gig descriptions to appear 100% original?

I feel the same way about that as I do about article spinners. It is unethical.

But it is not something that can be proven like direct plagiarism, so there is nothing to be done about it.

• Like 7
  • Up 2

36 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Yes it's like asking a cop, "Dude, how much weed can I have on me before you arrest me? Asking for a friend"  It reeks of bad intentions and every short cut possible.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Are you saying they are using AI tools to rewrite the gig descriptions to appear 100% original?

I feel the same way about that as I do about article spinners. It is unethical.

But it is not something that can be proven like direct plagiarism, so there is nothing to be done about it.

Yeah they are, one of my friend also said me to try this. But I am very serious with my account, don't want to loss that's why I do anything after doing research ☺️

• Like 5
  • Congrats! 2

16 minutes ago, mubashir151 said:

Yeah they are, one of my friend also said me to try this. But I am very serious with my account, don't want to loss that's why I do anything after doing research ☺️

Put it this way... using any shortcut is not a great idea and it won't help you fulfill long term goals. They are named shortcuts for a reason. Hard work, determination adn experimenting with different things will help you get where you are. You make mistakes, learn from them, that's how you grow. Not with AI or plagiarism. Those are my 2 cents anyway.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Put it this way... using any shortcut is not a great idea and it won't help you fulfill long term goals. They are named shortcuts for a reason. Hard work, determination adn experimenting with different things will help you get where you are. You make mistakes, learn from them, that's how you grow. Not with AI or plagiarism. Those are my 2 cents anyway.

Yeah I understand, but it getting too late. Have done with mistakes, and also learn from them but still not getting as struggled 😔

• Like 7

13 hours ago, newsmike said:

Yes it's like asking a cop, "Dude, how much weed can I have on me before you arrest me? Asking for a friend"  It reeks of bad intentions and every short cut possible.

Though it might be that what the plagiarism checker is showing is based on the percentage that is "unique" and the percentage that isn't. If someone uses a common phrase or common group of words that doesn't mean they plagiarised it. And if it's a bit of text the writer wrote somewhere else that also wouldn't make it plagiarism if they used that bit of text again.

Also if he was talking about giving definitions of proofreading/editing from Wikipedia, if he wanted to just quote a bit of text from Wikipedia I think that should be okay if he gave the source (as long as that Wikipedia text didn't come from somewhere else). Though the people looking for proofreading/editing gigs should already know what those 2 are. It would be better to say more specifically what the seller would do in the gig (eg. how much they'd edit it/what types of editing they'd do).

• Like 8

22 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Though it might be that what the plagiarism checker is showing is based on the percentage that is "unique" and the percentage that isn't. If someone uses a common phrase or common group of words that doesn't mean they plagiarised it. And if it's a bit of text the writer wrote somewhere else that also wouldn't make it plagiarism if they used that bit of text again.

Also if he was talking about giving definitions of proofreading/editing from Wikipedia, if he wanted to just quote a bit of text from Wikipedia I think that should be okay if he gave the source (as long as that Wikipedia text didn't come from somewhere else). Though the people looking for proofreading/editing gigs should already know what those 2 are. It would be better to say more specifically what the seller would do in the gig (eg. how much they'd edit it/what types of editing they'd do).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will keep in mind 👍😊

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, dg_concept said:

Does plagiarism Affect Gig ranking ? 

Could you elaborate? I think it depends on whether you are the person who stole someone else's content OR if you are the person who someone stole from.

(but to cut it shortly, yes, because if Fiverr notices it, the plagarized gig will go bye-bye.)

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, dg_concept said:

Does plagiarism Affect Gig ranking ? 

So you're asking if stealing any type of content and claiming it as your own is ok or not? OBVIOUSLY NOT OK.

Why would you plagiarize anything? As a professional on Fiverr you can easily create samples and gig descriptions on your own.

• Like 10