Improve My Gig, advice requested

truephoenixking

41 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I took a look at your profile. Here's some things I would fix: 

• Hiding behind a facemask does not make you look very professional. Your profile picture also seems to be of very low quality. First impressions matter. 
  • Your profile description has typos and grammar issues. Also, brand names should have their first letter capitalized (in most cases). 
  • Your gig thumbnails are not good. You call yourself a professional designer. You should put those skills to use, creating eyecatching, clean and modern thumbnails. 
  • Your gig descriptions have the same issues as your profile description. 
  • You claim to be available 24 / 7. Do you not sleep? 
  • Offering unlimited revisions is a bad idea. 

Hello Smashradio, do you mind also having a look through mine? https://www.fiverr.com/share/75Px4E. Completely understandable if you don't get the chance. Thank you in advance

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

Hello Smashradio, do you mind also having a look through mine? https://www.fiverr.com/share/75Px4E. Completely understandable if you don't get the chance. Thank you in advance

I think your gig image is not well designed. Its hard to read, white font on pink/red/orange. Try to go for a simpler design and use less text. Just put on there whats most promising about your gig.
About the description: The first section is too big and contains unimportant information. Same thing here, try to nail it down to whats most important.
One last tip, try to add an encouragement for the buyer to motivate them to get started with your gig. it can be a direct call to action.

Good luck!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, finndev478 said:

I think your gig image is not well designed. Its hard to read, white font on pink/red/orange. Try to go for a simpler design and use less text. Just put on there whats most promising about your gig.
About the description: The first section is too big and contains unimportant information. Same thing here, try to nail it down to whats most important.
One last tip, try to add an encouragement for the buyer to motivate them to get started with your gig. it can be a direct call to action.

Good luck!

Thank you, I'll get straight onto that. Your judgment is highly helpful. Do you think it would be worth making a front cover to outline the main points then edit the other one as a kind of extra information page? 

Edited by truephoenixking
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

I second what @finndev478 has to say about your gig image. Needs a complete re-design and way less text. Try visiting Fiverr on mobile to see how difficult it becomes to read a thumbnail with lots of text in search. 

You're trying to sell writing, yet you have a glaring typo in your gig thumbnail. It's ghostwrite. Not ghostwright. If you hope to become a professional and make a living as a writer, you need to have excellent grammar skills. Being fluent in a language and being a good writer are two different things. 

On that note: calling yourself an amateur in your gig description is a sure-fire way of not getting work. 

I highly recommend that you invest in your writing skills by taking creative writing and storytelling courses.

Your goal should always be to hone your skills and improve over time. You might be an amateur today, but with willpower, time and effort, you can become a professional. 

While you're at it, get some professional business portraits of yourself. Dress nicely. First impressions matter, as I mentioned in my response to the OP. 🙂

I hope this helps!

Best of luck! 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I second what @finndev478 has to say about your gig image. Needs a complete re-design and way less text. Try visiting Fiverr on mobile to see how difficult it becomes to read a thumbnail with lots of text in search. 

You're trying to sell writing, yet you have a glaring typo in your gig thumbnail. It's ghostwrite. Not ghostwright. Being fluent in a language and being good at writing are two different things. If you have any hope of becoming a professional and make a living as a writer, you need to have excellent grammar skills. 

On that note: calling yourself an amateur in your gig description is a sure-fire way of not getting work. 

I hope this helps! I highly recommend that you invest in your writing skills by taking courses on creative writing and storytelling. Your goal should always be to hone your skills and improve over time. You might be an amateur today, but with willpower, time and effort, you can become a professional. 

While you're at it, get a some professional business portraits of yourself. Dress nicely. First impressions matter, like I mentioned in my response to the OP. 🙂

Best of luck! 

Thank you this is highly helpful, I did not see that typo and will adjust it right now as well as change parts of my profile around. Any more tips for a professional picture? Never done one before and don't know where to start.

• Like 2

By the way, @truephoenixking: have you done any market research into your niche? Do people pay for ghostwriters to write fan fiction? I mean... You can't really sell most fan fic, so even if I hire you as a ghostwriter, there's no way I can make money on the end product I receive. So I'm just wondering if you have researched the market. For all I know, it's huge, and fans will pay writers just to get creds among other fans with their fan fiction. But I'm not sure if that gig is viable to earn money in the long run. I might be wrong. But there might be other niches that can be better earners for you down the road, so market research is key. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Up 1

6 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

Thank you this is highly helpful, I did not see that typo and will adjust it right now as well as change parts of my profile around. Any more tips for a professional picture? Never done one before and don't know where to start.

Here's some good guidance on Gig Images, straight from Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/4410883326481 (with examples) 

You can also search for other ghostwriters on Fiverr, and see what the top rated/pro sellers are doing. That's a great source for inspiration. 

Your goal should be to have as little text as possible, use big fonts, have colors that match and make you stand out, and if possible, include that professional business portrait I talked about in your thumbnail. Showing your face is a major trust signal and helps buyers connect and feel safe buying from you. 

If you're not confident in your own design skills (and I'm guessing you're not) I highly recommend hiring an actual professional to do your thumbnail. There are several sellers on Fiverr offering gig thumbnails. Pick one of the Top Rated sellers  you find when searching for "gig thumbnail" and you should be off to a good start. 🙂

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, smashradio said:

By the way, @truephoenixking: have you done any market research into your niche? Do people pay for ghostwriters to write fan fiction? I mean... You can't really sell most fan fic, so even if I hire you as a ghostwriter, there's no way I can make money on the end product I receive. So I'm just wondering if you have researched the market. For all I know, it's huge, and fans will pay writers just to get creds among other fans with their fan fiction. But I'm not sure if that gig is viable to earn money in the long run. I might be wrong. But there might be other niches that can be better earners for you down the road, so market research is key. 🙂

I've done a bit of market research when looking at other people by searching 'fanfiction'. Within large fandoms, a lot of people enjoy reading alternative plots/a build on from the original and a lot of the time can't find one that matches their fandom. In the long run, it probably wont be such a good idea due to fandoms slowly declining over time and slowly decreasing in understanding with what I'm working with. For the time being, I want to do fanfiction and other stories because I find writing fun but I don't have very strong starting ideas. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Here's some good guidance on Gig Images, straight from Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/4410883326481 (with examples) 

You can also search for other ghostwriters on Fiverr, and see what the top rated/pro sellers are doing. That's a great source for inspiration. 

Your goal should be to have as little text as possible, use big fonts, have colors that match and make you stand out, and if possible, include that professional business portrait I talked about in your thumbnail. Showing your face is a major trust signal and helps buyers connect and feel safe buying from you. 

If you're not confident in your own design skills (and I'm guessing you're not) I highly recommend hiring an actual professional to do your thumbnail. There are several sellers on Fiverr offering gig thumbnails. Pick one of the Top Rated sellers  you find when searching for "gig thumbnail" and you should be off to a good start. 🙂

I will check that out in a minute but I really meant a picture for my profile picture as mine currently isn't very professional at the moment because it's one of the only pictures of myself I have and I am wearing a hockey goalkeeper uniform

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

I will check that out in a minute but I really meant a picture for my profile picture as mine currently isn't very professional at the moment because it's one of the only pictures of myself I have and I am wearing a hockey goalkeeper uniform

I see! 

Yes, I noticed - haha. Not exactly exuding that writer vibe, are we? 😂

First, you'll need someone who actually know how to take great photos. Preferably someone who works as a professional photographer, but if you can't afford that, a friend with a good camera who has photography as a hobby could work. 

Dress nicely, but not like you're going to the queens yule ball. Visit a tailor if you can afford it to get a shirt that fits you perfectly. The number one reason why you'd look like a poor guy with no taste, is if your clothes doesn't fit. 

If you can't afford it, at least spend some time at an upscale store to find a shirt that fits. 

Go someplace nice to get the photos taken. Any half neutral background with some greenery will do, but preferably in a nice location – like a five-star hotel or something. The background will be out of focus anyway, but having a nice place to shoot will make a difference. 

Your photographer will know at what time the light is best. Mine always insists on late afternoon. 

I have a face for radio, but I think he does a good job of making me look like a human being. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I see! 

Yes, I noticed - haha. Not exactly exuding that writer vibe, are we? 😂

First, you'll need someone who actually know how to take great photos. Preferably someone who works as a professional photographer, but if you can't afford that, a friend with a good camera who has photography as a hobby could work. 

Dress nicely, but not like you're going to the queens yule ball. Visit a tailor if you can afford it to get a shirt that fits you perfectly. The number one reason why you'd look like a poor guy with no taste, is if your clothes doesn't fit. 

If you can't afford it, at least spend some time at an upscale store to find a shirt that fits. 

Go someplace nice to get the photos taken. Any half neutral background with some greenery will do, but preferably in a nice location – like a five-star hotel or something. The background will be out of focus anyway, but having a nice place to shoot will make a difference. 

Your photographer will know at what time the light is best. Mine always insists on late afternoon. 

I have a face for radio, but I think he does a good job of making me look like a human being. 

Would I want to go with a shirt+tie+blazer/overcoat or just a plain white shirt?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

Would I want to go with a shirt+tie+blazer/overcoat or just a plain white shirt?

A tie might be a bit much. Shirt and blazer or just a plain white shirt works fine. The idea is that you want to look the way you would if you're at a job interview or an important meeting. It doesn't have to a be a suit or anything too stiff or formal. Simple but neat 😄 

Oh and get a photographer you're comfortable with. Someone who will make you feel relaxed. Mine always just holds a normal conversation with me and all of a sudden, he has 10 pictures haha. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, smashradio said:

A tie might be a bit much. Shirt and blazer or just a plain white shirt works fine. The idea is that you want to look the way you would if you're at a job interview or an important meeting. It doesn't have to a be a suit or anything too stiff or formal. Simple but neat 😄 

Oh and get a photographer you're comfortable with. Someone who will make you feel relaxed. Mine always just holds a normal conversation with me and all of a sudden, he has 10 pictures haha. 

Thank you for the advice, I will probably ask someone doing photography at my school, might even use school uniform then edit out the logos. All of this advice is highly valuable to me and I will use it well. Thank you again

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, truephoenixking said:

Thank you for the advice, I will probably ask someone doing photography at my school, might even use school uniform then edit out the logos. All of this advice is highly valuable to me and I will use it well. Thank you again

Happy to help! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, smashradio said:

You can't really sell most fan fic, so even if I hire you as a ghostwriter, there's no way I can make money on the end product I receive.

Surely if others can't sell fan fiction it may not be okay to sell fan fiction on Fiverr, if the seller doesn't own the rights.

So it's probably not good to sell fan fiction on Fiverr if the rights aren't owned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

Surely if others can't sell fan fiction it may not be okay to sell fan fiction on Fiverr, if the seller doesn't own the rights.

So it's probably not good to sell fan fiction on Fiverr if the rights aren't owned.

I would assume this depends on the individual projects. Most rights holder allow fan fic but does not like people commercializing their intellectual property. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1