Order price negotiation best approach

gmuhit_five

Question

8 answers to this question

Whenever someone comes to me with a clear project I've done a lot of times I tell them my estimate for it. If they want to negotiate I'm willing to do so, but I won't budge a lot if (as I mentioned) the project is clearly within the packages I provide. 

If a buyer is asking something out of scope of my packages, I always begin by asking what their budget is. Then you can also tell if they're serious buyers or the kind who want the world for just a penny. Then I estimate what I believe the time will be for me to complete it and other relevant factors. Then I take the negotiations from there!

• Like 12
  • Up 2

I don't negotiate on price often. Most of the time I have too much work and high demand, so I'll just tell the buyer that it would be unfair to my other clients who actually pay my going rate. On big projects (2000+ USD) I'll be more willing to negotiate, but never more than 10%. I prefer a direct (but friendly) approach to this. I'll take the time to explain why I stand firm on my rates, if I think the client/project is worth it. If I don't, I'll give them the short version. 

If you have to negotiate a lot with a client, that's a red flag to me, and indicates that they may be difficult to work with. 

• Like 11
  • Up 3

You should always be open to negotiation, while also staying firm to your prices. There are lots of people that will low ball your prices. There are even people saying $5 is too much for writing so.. I rest my case :)) As I said you'll always have people trying to get the work as cheap as possible. Hold your ground and as my esteemed colleague Smashradio said, if a person tries to haggle too much and low ball your prices, that does show they will be hard to work with. 

• Like 10

Sometimes I will budge. But usually, that's because it's a project I'm SUPER interested in. I have decently high prices (well, at least, I've doubled my prices since 2021 so that's something) and sometimes feel like the project will give ME more than the few bucks I'm losing (think, a new genre of games I've been wanting to write, etc.)
THAT being said - if it's something I'm not super interested in, I stand by my prices firmly. If I lose the client, then so be it, I have enough work as is, so it's not a tragedy. I want people to appreciate my work and I feel like 'can you do this for ultra cheap, I'll give you loads of work' doesn't really cover that. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

You should always be open to negotiation, while also staying firm to your prices. There are lots of people that will low ball your prices. There are even people saying $5 is too much for writing so.. I rest my case :)) As I said you'll always have people trying to get the work as cheap as possible. Hold your ground and as my esteemed colleague Smashradio said, if a person tries to haggle too much and low ball your prices, that does show they will be hard to work with. 

Thanks a lot

• Like 5

21 hours ago, katakatica said:

Sometimes I will budge. But usually, that's because it's a project I'm SUPER interested in. I have decently high prices (well, at least, I've doubled my prices since 2021 so that's something) and sometimes feel like the project will give ME more than the few bucks I'm losing (think, a new genre of games I've been wanting to write, etc.)
THAT being said - if it's something I'm not super interested in, I stand by my prices firmly. If I lose the client, then so be it, I have enough work as is, so it's not a tragedy. I want people to appreciate my work and I feel like 'can you do this for ultra cheap, I'll give you loads of work' doesn't really cover that. 

Thanks a lot

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, sabinespoems said:

Whenever someone comes to me with a clear project I've done a lot of times I tell them my estimate for it. If they want to negotiate I'm willing to do so, but I won't budge a lot if (as I mentioned) the project is clearly within the packages I provide. 

If a buyer is asking something out of scope of my packages, I always begin by asking what their budget is. Then you can also tell if they're serious buyers or the kind who want the world for just a penny. Then I estimate what I believe the time will be for me to complete it and other relevant factors. Then I take the negotiations from there!

Thanks a lot.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I don't negotiate on price often. Most of the time I have too much work and high demand, so I'll just tell the buyer that it would be unfair to my other clients who actually pay my going rate. On big projects (2000+ USD) I'll be more willing to negotiate, but never more than 10%. I prefer a direct (but friendly) approach to this. I'll take the time to explain why I stand firm on my rates, if I think the client/project is worth it. If I don't, I'll give them the short version. 

If you have to negotiate a lot with a client, that's a red flag to me, and indicates that they may be difficult to work with. 

Thanks a lot.

• Like 9