Full Rights license?

rolfpauls

Question

I am in touch with a seller here on Fiverr, in regards to make a logo.
After he read through my request he claims he can help me out, then he came with the following option; 
He offered me 2 packages, i asked him to explain the difference between the 2.

1. Commercial Use License is an agreement to use designs for merchandise or other commercial purposes. Like using designs for merchandise, shirts, etc. 

2. Full Right License is an agreement to get all copyright and design property in full.

Now, i have never heard of "full rights license", he asks 35 dollars extra for this, however i thought commercial license should cover the things allegedly offered, i already intended to go for the premium package if i would work with him, because i want the commercial license and all files. 

Is this something new, "full rights license"? I am unable to find anything about this topic on the internet. 
Can anyone honestly explain me the reasoning and why he would do this, and what it would entail if i merely go for the commercial use license package, as intended? 

Thanks in advance and wishing you a nice week. 

Edited by rolfpauls
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3

6 answers to this question

Hello,

I never heard of "full rights license" too before, all I can think of is maybe transferring the copyright ownership but I don't think it is related to your case. Try asking him what this "full rights license" is about and see his response, and ask the difference between the two he listed.

Either way here's the Fiverr help page about copyright ownership and property rights, you might find the solution in it: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010979558-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights---Fiverr-Business?segment=business

• Like 6

In voice-over, we have "commercial rights" and "broadcast rights". The commercial rights is for any business use, but not paid advertising/TV/radio and so on (this is a gross simplification but explains the main difference between the two). 

The seller might think something similar applies to logo design. He's of course free to do so and charge whatever he likes for his service, but I agree with you that it doesn't make sense in this case. 

The seller might consider the "full rights" to be a transfer of copyright, meaning you could re-sell the logo and so on. However, I would think the commercial license covers this perfectly. 

In the terms, ownership is described as follows: 

"Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller's Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyright in the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein. Accordingly, the Seller expressly assigns to the Buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to the Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig, and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work and its copyright shall be the exclusive property of the Buyer and, upon delivery, the Seller agrees that it thereby, pursuant to these Terms of Service, assigns all right, title and interest in and to the delivered work to the Buyer. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use."

There is nothing about "full rights" in the terms, if we disregard the "broadcast rights" attached to the voice-over niche. 

• Like 3
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, rolfpauls said:

Why is my response being downvoted?

Some people will downvote any post that doesn't answer the original question, because the forum sorts posts according to votes in the question section. It keeps the best answer at the top, basically. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, maxtpf said:

Hello,

I never heard of "full rights license" too before, all I can think of is maybe transferring the copyright ownership but I don't think it is related to your case. Try asking him what this "full rights license" is about and see his response, and ask the difference between the two he listed.

Either way here's the Fiverr help page about copyright ownership and property rights, you might find the solution in it: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010979558-Copyright-and-Intellectual-Property-Rights---Fiverr-Business?segment=business

Thank you for the response maxtopf. 

I have already done as you suggested, he reacted by giving those 2 pointers, in my opinion pointer 2, makes no sense. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, smashradio said:

In voice-over, we have "commercial rights" and "broadcast rights". The commercial rights is for any business use, but not paid advertising/TV/radio and so on (this is a gross simplification but explains the main difference between the two). 

The seller might think something similar applies to logo design. He's of course free to do so and charge whatever he likes for his service, but I agree with you that it doesn't make sense in this case. 

The seller might consider the "full rights" to be a transfer of copyright, meaning you could re-sell the logo and so on. However, I would think the commercial license covers this perfectly. 

In the terms, ownership is described as follows: 

"Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller's Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyright in the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein. Accordingly, the Seller expressly assigns to the Buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to the Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig, and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work and its copyright shall be the exclusive property of the Buyer and, upon delivery, the Seller agrees that it thereby, pursuant to these Terms of Service, assigns all right, title and interest in and to the delivered work to the Buyer. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use."

There is nothing about "full rights" in the terms, if we disregard the "broadcast rights" attached to the voice-over niche. 

Thank you for your message, i will consider what to do. 
Wishing you a nice week.

• Like 4