Why does Fiverr take a cut of tips?

smoochypooch

Question

I completely understand taking a cut of profits made on a gig they host.  I do not mind that and the 20% on that which they take feels reasonable enough.  I, however, do not understand why when I get a tip that the seller felt I had earned I only receive 20% of it.  Taking any portion of a tip in any industry to me feels skeevy and I just do not understand how Fiverr justifies doing it.  To me this is me this is no different than a restaurant owner reaching into the tip jar at the end of the night and keeping some back for themselves. I do not understand why they call them tips if they are going to take 20% of it anyway.  I feel like it's misleading for buyers who assume that the amount they are giving is going fully to their intended seller.  If someone could explain to me why fiverr takes a cut I would appreciate it because from where I am sitting, it seems like fiverr is just being kind of greedy.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, smoochypooch said:

do not understand why when I get a tip that the seller felt I had earned I only receive 20% of it

If Fiverr wouldn't take a cut from those tips, then people would just place orders and use tips to avoid fees. Not to mention a lot of sellers would get scammed by some buyers that would promise most of the price will be offered via tips. So that's the main reason. 

• Like 6