What will you have for dinner tonight?

katakatica

When I started focusing on writing full-time, I had a period of time when I had catered food (due to where I was living.) It was great, but part of me missed being able to choose what to eat/when to eat/etc. So when I moved out a few months back I actually started cooking way more often from scratch. It's honestly quite daunting sometimes because I had close to 0 knowledge before... However, as time passes, it's getting easier and easier to get meals together and actually make them make sense. 

Also - (if my friends saw this post, they'd be happy) raising my prices helped me with having more time for myself (and more money as well.) In a way, cooking has became a hobby (though I still eat out quite a bit, mostly lunches though.) 

Anyway, rambles aside, here's a thread to brag about your cooking knowledge (OR the amazing take-out you're planning to get because it's Thursday and you deserve it!) Pictures would be a bonus for a foodie like me!

We're having pancakes (not the one cooking today) because it's a Swedish thing apparently - though it's served with pea soup that we are NOT having (sorry, not a huge fan!) 

Yesterday I made ramen from scratch for the third time - and it was... amazing! But I'm kind of happy to switch it up with something a bit sweeter today! 

(totally unrelated but if anyone has an actually good chasu recipe that works, even if it takes forever... please share.)

Heey @katakatica 😊

I love this topic since I am also a foodie like you with a sweet tooth. I love cooking and making sweet pastry. I made dorayaki recently and even though I do not have a picture to prove it, I assure you it was delicious. 🙂 

You mentioned that you made ramen from scratch, so I was wondering if you maybe know any good recipes for glass noodles? 

49 minutes ago, Lena said:

I assure you it was delicious. 🙂 

That does sound great! I've been thinking of making hotteok once it gets a bit colder outside - not huge on baking because I'm terrified of our gas oven but I'd be nice to get started somewhere! 

So here's the deal - I've had japchae on the to-do list for months but somehow never actually make it! We had really good glass noodles at a restaurant that's closed for the summer and I've been craving them (not sure if they were a different dish though) so I might try a recipe sometime soon. 

I've only recently started branching out from super quick stir-fries but to be honest there's still a lot I need to learn! 

4 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I've only recently started branching out from super quick stir-fries but to be honest there's still a lot I need to learn! 

I hear ya! And since you like stir-fries, try fried rice. I made it once and now I have to make it at least once a week. 😄

24 minutes ago, Lena said:

I hear ya! And since you like stir-fries, try fried rice. I made it once and now I have to make it at least once a week. 😄

It's a staple at our place 😄 I like making it with bacon (or just no meat) and a good amount of chili oil on top. Been wanting to make kimchi fried rice as well but by the time I get there (kimchi needs to sour up a bit I think) I run out of kimchi 😄 

We alternate between Italian/Swedish and Asian-inspired (often as authentic as possible) recipes but I've yet to cook any Hungarian food. Mostly because compared to 'toss everything in the wok, hope for the best' is easier than making stuff like goulash or at least to me haha.

21 minutes ago, finndev478 said:

I made some asian style food with tofu instead 😄

Okay that's ridiculously funny - I've been looking for this sauce for a while now. We had sechuan chicken at a restaurant (without the sechuan peppers) and while I wasn't the hugest fan, my boyfriend loved it - I haven't seen any recipe with the peppercorns yet though. Anything 'mala' is amazing by my standards, so this sauce will be an awesome compromise. Also thinking of having more tofu as protein because cold tofu with cold sauce over rice is literally the best thing one can eat in the summer 😄 

26 minutes ago, katakatica said:

It's a staple at our place 😄 I like making it with bacon (or just no meat) and a good amount of chili oil on top. Been wanting to make kimchi fried rice as well but by the time I get there (kimchi needs to sour up a bit I think) I run out of kimchi 😄 

We alternate between Italian/Swedish and Asian-inspired (often as authentic as possible) recipes but I've yet to cook any Hungarian food. Mostly because compared to 'toss everything in the wok, hope for the best' is easier than making stuff like goulash or at least to me haha.

Okay that's ridiculously funny - I've been looking for this sauce for a while now. We had sechuan chicken at a restaurant (without the sechuan peppers) and while I wasn't the hugest fan, my boyfriend loved it - I haven't seen any recipe with the peppercorns yet though. Anything 'mala' is amazing by my standards, so this sauce will be an awesome compromise. Also thinking of having more tofu as protein because cold tofu with cold sauce over rice is literally the best thing one can eat in the summer 😄 

cooking tofu right is really difficult though 😄 I tried many different kinds of tofu and ways to prepare it. 

It's too hot here to cook, sadly.

Sometimes I just microwave some broccoli and toss some hot sauce and parmesan on it. But otherwise I'm getting a lot of delivery. It ranges from basic cheeseburgers to chicken pecan salads. No idea what I'll do tonight.

I'm waiting for it to get cool enough to start up the stove and slow cooker again. I like making beef stews or pulled pork in the slow cooker, or baking chicken and fish in the oven (typically lemon pepper in both cases).

Actually I love cooking A LOT even though sometimes, I might be too lazy to do so. I'll be having meat pies I stocked in the freezer for dinner tonight.

It's pretty easy to make really. You just need some flour, eggs and whatever fillings you like (I usually go for potatoes, carrots and shredded chicken but you can skip the meat part and just make it with the potatoes if you're vegan). You just need to make the flour, butter and eggs into a simple dough then keep it aside to rest (don't add rising agents) then cook your chopped potatoes and carrots. Add a little flour to thicken the mix then put it aside to cool. 

You can form small portions of the dough into pockets, stuff the filling in them then pop it into the oven. It takes about 15-20 minutes to cook through under a 250° oven (I use a small oven that's slighter bigger than a toaster oven so it doesn't get as hot as the big ones!). It takes about an hour to make enough pies to last a week or so. 

I was going to wait an hour or so before I have dinner but all these food talk made me hungry.😥😅

On 8/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, moikchap said:

It's too hot here to cook, sadly.

I'm kind of glad that I usually only make dinner, so no heating up the kitchen at noon! Most of the time (not always though) our kitchen is 'bearable' by dinner time but I can totally understand choosing to make quick stuff/order in during the heatwave! (worst it's been here was like... 32 degrees, maybe 34? Which for me is just normal summer, though it did hit me worse than I thought it would!)

Interestinly enough I never got into slowcooker recipes! I've been thinking of getting an instapot (the multi-functional one) though, mostly because sometimes it'd be nice to have pulled pork (or even chicken that's super tender.)

On 8/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, favourik said:

Actually I love cooking A LOT even though sometimes, I might be too lazy to do so. I'll be having meat pies I stocked in the freezer for dinner tonight.

Never made meat pies but I actually like making quiches, though more during the winter I think. Haven't made one here yet though (but I've had the microwaveable ones from a supermarket. I like experimenting with recipes the most I think but sometimes I'm too lazy to do so! 
Managed to recreate a dish I had in China today though, it was absolutely amazing (I think the closest I've ever found to it would be the beef plate thing from the chain called Pepper Lunch? Not sure if it's the same, though!) 

It didn't take too long either which was great! 

You aspiring chefs are putting me to shame!

I'm having Khinkali (like a dumpling), phkali (like a vegetable dip) & khachapuri (hot bread and cheese (there's more to it than it sounds).

I've fallen in love with Georgian food, it really is very good. You are reminding me though how much I've missed ramen!

21 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

I've fallen in love with Georgian food, it really is very good. You are reminding me though how much I've missed ramen!

We've actually been thinking of going to a Georgian restuarant not too far from us for a while now - I think we were recommended the khachapuri! I love discovering new cuisines and trying out different recipes, often with such similar ingredients! 

To be honest while I cook a lot, I also eat out... quite a bit, this week especially for example. 

We ended up having ramen (at a restaurant) for lunch today as well 😄

Archived