Write where you are from without using the country's name

3 hours ago, jonbaas said:

Why? You can easily see where any Fiverr user comes from by checking their Fiverr profile.

It's a popular game on social media in travelling/etc. groups. 

Hmm...

My home country's language is completely different (comes from a very different language tree) from all of the other countries in the area. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, madhatter0731 said:

Interesting game. Hmm... Our cuisine's a mix of Spanish and Asian cuisines.

Do you perhaps often eat a dish called 'mechado'? 
(I might be very off, though, I just came upon some recipes recently.)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, jonbaas said:

You can easily see where any Fiverr user comes from by checking their Fiverr profile.

Not for sellers from all countries.

eg. if they're from one of these countries:

"Falkland Islands", "Caribbean Netherlands", "Congo [DRC]", "Ivory Coast", "Macau", "Macedonia [FRYOM]", "Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia", "Myanmar [Burma]", "Palestinian Territories", "Virgin Islands, British"

it won't show their country name on their profile page. It will show "undefined" there instead.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10

We need more people taking guesses.

samsun670 - My brain keeps saying Senegal but that's Dakar. So I know I'm wrong. I'm going to guess India just to pick one and apologize in advance for being wrong.
katakatica - I get a lot of random ones coming to mind. Greenland? Mexico? Greece? South Africa?
madhatter0731 - Shot in the dark. Chile?
alifshah01 - No idea. I feel like this could potentially be any nation a european power attempted to colonize.
psykkopatte - I bet this is a trap where baguettes have a secret history where they were invented in north africa like pasta was. I will guess France regardless.
sabinespoems - I too will guess Netherlands.
timothykoen - It's north of Windsor, so it must be Canada. 😉
musamumtax - Random guess; Spain?
smashradio - Sounds like kalluun duban. Somalia!
frank_d - Sounds like a lack communication with the mainland. Some place way out at sea. New Zealand!
zeus777 - I want to make a joke about american malls, but I can't think of one. Japan.
fiveroptic1 - Tough one. But, I think I can narrow it down to either England, Britain, or the United Kingdom.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Up 2

1 hour ago, moikchap said:

katakatica - I get a lot of random ones coming to mind. Greenland? Mexico? Greece? South Africa?

Nope but very good guess. 

Hm...

I'll give another hint.

So I am currently based somewhere in the North (of Europe, I'll say that much.) one of our neighbouring countries actually speaks one of other languages from my home country's language tree. (it's also in the name of the family tree.) 

(I happen to KNOW some of the others from before, though I'm guessing that 

11 hours ago, madhatter0731 said:

Interesting game. Hmm... Our cuisine's a mix of Spanish and Asian cuisines.

will be the Philippines. (which I know because I made chicken adobo last week, was a hit, and now I'm researching other dishes AND stuff about it.)

• Like 7

So, the north of Europe is Scandinavia, but if it's a language with no real neighbors, it's not a Scandinavian one, so it wouldn't be one of the north west ones. It would be one of the smaller ones on the other side of the Baltic. I know which nations those are, but I can't guess their languages. I had been assuming all three are versions of russian/slavic since they were eastern bloc...

I'm going to have to play the odds. Lithuania is near more neighboring countries and languages (maybe it's hungarian or something), so I'll guess that one.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, moikchap said:

(maybe it's hungarian or something

You were sort of off with Lithuania, but still got it. I'm Hungarian in Sweden. Finnish is supposed to be one of the few languages related to ours (and also quite differet from the other nordic languages from what I know.) 

• Like 4