How to politely refuse from taking an order?

melliflousvoice

Question

Hi Community,

Hope everyone is happy!
Today I had a lengthy discussion with a client over commercial and broadcast usage of an infomercial.  
Finally, I agreed to understanding her opinion about adding commercial usage only (thanks to the fiverr community) while explaining her the 'complete' details of broadcast usage rights. Wished her all the best for her project and also indicated that she can feel free to proceed with another talent.
Now, after getting the 'reference' which she had asked for, for the usage rights, she wants to purchase broadcast usage rights...🙄
I don't want to work for her anymore. How do I 'clearly and politely' refuse her now?

Edited by melliflousvoice
  • Like 10
  • Up 1

9 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, melliflousvoice said:

Hi Community,

Hope everyone is happy!
Today I had a lengthy discussion with a client over commercial and broadcast usage of an infomercial.  
Finally, I agreed to understanding her opinion about adding commercial usage only (thanks to the fiverr community) while explaining her the 'complete' details of broadcast usage rights. Wished her all the best for her project and also indicated that she can feel free to proceed with another talent.
Now, after getting the 'reference' which she had asked for, for the usage rights, she wants to purchase broadcast usage rights...🙄
I don't want to work for her anymore. How do I 'clearly and politely' refuse her now?

If she wants to order broadcast rights, you should go ahead and let her. Broadcast rights should be priced higher than commercial rights, so it should be a win for you. 

I can't say I understand why you would not want to work with this client because of this. If I was able to sell broadcast rights to everyone, I would – haha. 

Like we spoke about earlier, commercial rights is for any business use, but when they need to use it in paid advertising/tv/radio, they need the higher tier rights package (broadcast rights). 

If you're sure you want to pass on this client because they want to pay you more – and again, I can't say I understand that logic – you can go with something like: 

"Unfortunately, I'm not able to complete this project at the moment. Thank you for considering me for this project. I wish you the best of luck finding a talent for your voice-over project and apologize for the inconvenience". 

P.S. Commercial rights with me costs 10USD, while broadcast rights are 65USD. 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, smashradio said:

If she wants to order broadcast rights, you should go ahead and let her. Broadcast rights should be priced higher than commercial rights, so it should be a win for you. 

I can't say I understand why you would not want to work with this client because of this. If I was able to sell broadcast rights to everyone, I would – haha. 

Like we spoke about earlier, commercial rights is for any business use, but when they need to use it in paid advertising/tv/radio, they need the higher tier rights package (broadcast rights). 

If you're sure you want to pass on this client because they want to pay you more – and again, I can't say I understand that logic – you can go with something like: 

"Unfortunately, I'm not able to complete this project at the moment. Thank you for considering me for this project. I wish you the best of luck finding a talent for your voice-over project and apologize for the inconvenience". 

You are so helpful Leo!! Thanks again 🙂
The custom offer comes to $105 now and yet, I think I'll pass this. Let's see how my day begins tomorrow, decision depends on that 😄

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, melliflousvoice said:

You are so helpful Leo!! Thanks again 🙂
The custom offer comes to $105 now and yet, I think I'll pass this. Let's see how my day begins tomorrow, decision depends on that 😄

Happy to help! 🙂

It's up to you, of course. 😄 Have a great night! 

• Like 8

19 hours ago, smashradio said:

Update:

The buyer was humble enough to apologise for the inconvenience caused and hence, I was happy to proceed with the order.
Thanks for the support everyone, especially Leo 🙂

• Like 12

4 hours ago, melliflousvoice said:

Update:

The buyer was humble enough to apologise for the inconvenience caused and hence, I was happy to proceed with the order.
Thanks for the support everyone, especially Leo 🙂

Glad it worked itself out! 😄

I tend to be rather understanding of clients who misunderstand or don't know how the pricing and rights work, because it can become a bit complicated at times. Taking the time to work with a buyer, even when they don't understand something, has landed me some of my best, regular buyers. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, smashradio said:

Glad it worked itself out! 😄

I tend to be rather understanding of clients who misunderstand or don't know how the pricing and rights work, because it can become a bit complicated at times. Taking the time to work with a buyer, even when they don't understand something, has landed me some of my best, regular buyers. 

"Taking the time to work with a buyer, even when they don't understand something, has landed me some of my best, regular buyers."
-That's an eye opener.....I think what irked me was the fact that I was ready to provide discount and combine both rights for the price of one and yet even though this client has national ads running on different media vehicles, she went ahead and...anyway, we are good now 🙂

Look forward to receiving more gems of wisdom and piece of advice from you Leo. You've been like a mentor here 😊

• Like 9

On 7/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, melliflousvoice said:

"Taking the time to work with a buyer, even when they don't understand something, has landed me some of my best, regular buyers."
-That's an eye opener.....I think what irked me was the fact that I was ready to provide discount and combine both rights for the price of one and yet even though this client has national ads running on different media vehicles, she went ahead and...anyway, we are good now 🙂

Look forward to receiving more gems of wisdom and piece of advice from you Leo. You've been like a mentor here 😊

Yeah, sometimes you get a bad feeling about a buyer, and it can be a good thing to listen to your gut instinct. Other times, it can cost you a great client because of a misunderstanding. Over the years, I've learnt that making it as simple as possible for the buyer is key. So for example, I never combine Commercial and Broadcast rights. If they need Broadcast, they only have to get Broadcast. Just makes it easier for them. Instead, you could just add what the commercial rights costs to your Broadcast rights. That way, you don't have to deal with both 🙂

Happy to be of help 😄 

• Like 8