Is there a way to find out how much of a market there actually is for a given service?

danjsmith

Question

EDIT: Think I posted in wrong section but idk how to delete.

For example, I'm offering script coverage.

If I search that, I can see a 1 or 2 pages of gigs, most with little to no reviews. However, I can't see if even the most successful sellers are getting any kind of regular business. The number of reviews may be over many years and the 'Last Delivery' seems to show their last delivery across all of their gigs, so it could well be in something completely unrelated.

So how do you know if a niche is dead or thriving without access to any analytics other than your own, if you're a new seller who gets no impressions due to poor rank (or because nobody is searching for this in the first place).

Looking to arrive at some kind of benchmark what I could expect if I were to start ranking near the top.

Thanks

Edited by danjsmith
  • Like 10

5 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, vickieito said:

@mariashtelle1 clarify what it means to "market" your gig here:

Mmmm, though I don’t think that that particular comment will be of any help for the OP’s question 🙈 

But the quick, very simplified answer: yes, it’s all guesstimating your number for supply and demand based on the numbers that you can find online. 
That’s how other business do it and not only for services but also for products 

• Like 8

Great resources from @vickieito

Indeed, it is tough to tell whether a certain market is thriving on Fiverr.

Personally, I had no idea people would be seeking out games writers (my niche) but I managed to find the level of success I wanted (I'm part-time and just looking to supplement my income so other people's mileage may vary).

What I think you need to be asking, though, is how much is your skill in demand beyond Fiverr. I can't back this up with data but I do feel that it makes sense for the majority of desirable services to find their way into Fiverr given how recognizable the platform is.

I think the best approach here is to make a gig and see what happens. The beauty of Fiverr is that you don't need to pitch. Just set up your virtual stall, make adjustments as you go and see what happens. Making a well-written gig should only take you a couple of hours if you know exactly what you're trying to sell.

One other way to check whether your skill is demand is to use the search function. Type keywords related to your service and see what other terms the auto-fill brings up.

If you're looking to do this full-time, I will caution you to not put all of your eggs in the Fiverr basket, especially when starting out. Check out other platforms, forums and communities as well. Fiverr is great but it's not the end-all be-all of freelancing. Each niche and market within the platform has its ups and down, and they can be anywhere between being really saturated and super under-represented. For instance, my partner is a freelance translator who never managed to make her service work here for a variety of reasons. She maintained a gig here for a while until her success elsewhere made it redundant.

• Like 8

You can get fairly accurate information if you just spend a little time researching. Like most things, It's just a numbers game. 

I would recommend checking out all the categories and the top performers stats in those categories, you can also look at things like the most popular searches on Fiverr by using their search suggestions, this wont help you understand what's in demand but it will help you target the phrases that people are actively searching to find your service. You can then piece all these smaller data-points together to form a bigger picture. 

Hope that helps

• Like 5

22 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Mmmm, though I don’t think that that particular comment will be of any help for the OP’s question 🙈 

But the quick, very simplified answer: yes, it’s all guesstimating your number for supply and demand based on the numbers that you can find online. 
That’s how other business do it and not only for services but also for products.

Sorry! Your content is a bit tricky to quote so I included the whole shebang... along with the slightly irrelevant thread that your comments were made in. I should probably use the quote function for your content. This is what I was quoting (as an intro to @jonbaas, @yannisenglish, & @katakatica's content):

23 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

There is no such thing as marketing your gigs ...As a freelancer you are a one man show and you have to be good not only at your services but also learn marketing, learn how to sell, learn how to understand and attract your audience, be a customer support for your clients, e an accountant for yourself and much more. If you fail even at one of those times hen unfortunately you most likely wouldn’t make it. 
Knowing how to sell your skill is THE most important skill.

(taken from the thread "Can fiver show some love to new sellers?" posted on Fiverr Forum by prosjs) [italics, underlining, & boldface text added for emphasis]

I like this quote because one of the reason why I joined Fiverr was because I believed I was terrible at marketing, or as @yannisenglish calls it, "pitching." I quickly learned that my definition of marketing was completely wrong and the definition that you have of marketing - learning how to sell, understand and attract buyers, and keeping your clients happy is exactly what I was doing to get more orders.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:28 AM, danjsmith said:

because nobody is searching for this in the first place

22 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

One other way to check whether your skill is demand is to use the search function. Type keywords related to your service and see what other terms the auto-fill brings up.

22 hours ago, mike84931 said:

you can also look at things like the most popular searches on Fiverr by using their search suggestions

Great point, everyone! Using search is a great way to know if your niche is thriving, what's trending, and how your gig stacks up to the competition.

• Like 7