Why does everyone work at fiverr such a low price?

ariful_islam_wd

Question

Why wages is very low on fiverr? 

I charge $2k for design a website with wordpress for my local client. but in fiverr when I try to charge $400 buyer tell that prices are very high. I got another seller who will do it with $50 usd. it is very fraustrating for me. 😔 and I checked that later also. He actually done the work only $50. 

Do you have any solution for this issue? 

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 8/12/2022 at 10:04 PM, victel said:

Since there are Fiverr sellers all over the world, the prices also vary because of that. Some countries have a cost of living 10x or MORE than in other countries. Second, it depends on experience. I started on Fiverr years ago charging $5 for article writing. Once my feedback was sufficient, I doubled my prices, then I doubled them again and finally tripled them. I'm still constantly busy and have repeat buyers, but a newbie selling something for $1000 who doesn't have any feedback would be viewed as a risk by some buyers. If they have 500+ 5-star feedbacks, they look like a safer bet.

Finally, you often get what you pay for. I've purchased gigs from cheap sellers, mid-priced and also high-priced sellers. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by the cheaper options or disappointed by the higher cost ones. I'm in the US and couldn't afford to live or feed myself on my old prices but it's taken a while to get to the point where I charge more and where I finally think I'm worth it. I know there are hundreds of other writers on here charging $5 for what I charge $50 for, but it's taken me time to get here and I price my work according to what sellers will happily pay. Just my two cents... 

Thank you victel for your beautiful answer. 

Hi, there are many reasons for that.

- too many newbies are here

- it's in $ or ... this will lead countries with lower value of their money to start working here with low price like the Middle East (turkey, Pakistan, India)

- for start you have to make some reputation for yourself, so it's a good idea before reaching lvl2 seller be on low price for more jobs.

- it's Fiverr algorithm that let buyers compete with each other on everything, lower price is the best option since you need to build the reputation I've told u above. money is the easiest way.

- at the other hand, Fiverr algorithm is letting sellers give services with their price not the buyer offer on price.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, enhancedm24_it said:

I charge $2k to design a WordPress website for a local client. However, when I try to charge $400 on Fiverr, the buyer complains that the prices are too high. I've found another seller who will do it for $50 USD. It is highly deceptive to me, and I checked that afterwards as well. He did the work for only $50.

Do you have a solution to this problem?

Fiverr is a low-cost marketplace. Buyers flock here because of the cheap cost-to-quality ratio. I solved this by operating differently on Fiverr than I did elsewhere. Because I'm a voice actress, I can't provide you specific examples of how to achieve this as a developer, but here are the basic differences:

I get the script from Fiverr, record it, modify it, and send it. Fiverr handles all of my marketing. They provide CRM, file hosting, and other services.

I received an audition request from Fiverr. I walk inside the studio, unsure whether I'll get the job. I auditioned for the job and submitted my application. If I get the job, I'll probably be recording remotely while an audio engineer/client listens in on the other end. This takes time and usually requires numerous takes. All marketing must be paid for and organized by me. I must host my own CRM. All files are hosted in the cloud as well as locally, and storage must be paid for.

As you can see, there are big disparities between what I provide on Fiverr and what I provide through agencies/direct marketing.

I suppose something similar may be said about website development.

You don't have to bother with outside marketing, cold calling, or anything else on Fiverr. You are not required to host your own website. Because the clientele you work with are often less demanding, I believe you might create a website to their satisfaction using a simpler procedure. For example, you can avoid most meetings, maybe just a handful of "Brainstorming" sessions, and instead employ ready-to-use flexible templates you've built.

Again, I'm not a programmer, so these are merely examples.

Did you put this in Grammarly and used the thesaurus function... And if yes, whyyyyy

It's not just Fiverr, it's rampant in just about ANY industry. It's called "a race to the bottom". Many clients do not care about quality, they just want "cheap"! So they hire the vendor with the absolute cheapest rate. And they usually get what they pay for! ("If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!") And at some point, some clients finally realize that instead of paying 3 "cheap" vendors to get their project done correctly, they could have paid a little more for a more professional vendor and been done already!   However, some clients are actually seeking quality work, and are willing to pay for it, and those clients usually by-pass the "bottom feeders", and if you set your rate too low, you wont be considered for the job.  To be honest, there aren't as many clients looking for top-quality as there are clients looking for cheap...but...there are fewer vendors providing true quality, so it sort of evens out. But I'd rather work fewer jobs for more money, wouldn't you? And there are fewer vendors who even know how to write about what they offer in an appealing, professional manner.  So...when it's a race to the bottom, you have two choices...join in and reduce your rate to nothing just to win the job...or stand aside and let them pass you by as you stand firm and get your preferred rate. Also, it seems that the clients who pay the cheapest also tend to be less than professional,  more demanding and unrealistic...while the professionals who pay a decent rate know what to expect. If the quality of your work justifies a higher rate, ask for the higher rate. The quality clients will find you.  But if you just want the higher rate, without the credentials to back it up, then you're in for a lot of disappointment.  I know, some pros just starting out on the platform DO offer quality work at low, low prices, just to get a body of work and some reviews, but if they are smart, they raise their prices accordingly and rather quickly. Best advice? Do high-quality work and demonstrate it professionally and effectively. And be patient. 

On 8/19/2022 at 2:36 AM, mrmajstyk said:

It's not just Fiverr, it's rampant in just about ANY industry. It's called "a race to the bottom". Many clients do not care about quality, they just want "cheap"! So they hire the vendor with the absolute cheapest rate. And they usually get what they pay for! ("If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!") And at some point, some clients finally realize that instead of paying 3 "cheap" vendors to get their project done correctly, they could have paid a little more for a more professional vendor and been done already!   However, some clients are actually seeking quality work, and are willing to pay for it, and those clients usually by-pass the "bottom feeders", and if you set your rate too low, you wont be considered for the job.  To be honest, there aren't as many clients looking for top-quality as there are clients looking for cheap...but...there are fewer vendors providing true quality, so it sort of evens out. But I'd rather work fewer jobs for more money, wouldn't you? And there are fewer vendors who even know how to write about what they offer in an appealing, professional manner.  So...when it's a race to the bottom, you have two choices...join in and reduce your rate to nothing just to win the job...or stand aside and let them pass you by as you stand firm and get your preferred rate. Also, it seems that the clients who pay the cheapest also tend to be less than professional,  more demanding and unrealistic...while the professionals who pay a decent rate know what to expect. If the quality of your work justifies a higher rate, ask for the higher rate. The quality clients will find you.  But if you just want the higher rate, without the credentials to back it up, then you're in for a lot of disappointment.  I know, some pros just starting out on the platform DO offer quality work at low, low prices, just to get a body of work and some reviews, but if they are smart, they raise their prices accordingly and rather quickly. Best advice? Do high-quality work and demonstrate it professionally and effectively. And be patient. 

Thank you for nice explanation. ❤️❤️

On 8/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, mrmajstyk said:

Exactly! You have to value your work and make it reflect what you charge for it! Will be harder to get more work with higher prices? Totally! But in the long run you'll achieve (in general) better clients that appreciate your work.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, ariful_islam_wd said:

I charge $2k for design a website with wordpress for my local client. but in fiverr when I try to charge $400 buyer tell that prices are very high. I got another seller who will do it with $50 usd. it is very fraustrating for me. 😔 and I checked that later also. He actually done the work only $50. 

Right.. some people down the market price. 

On 7/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, ariful_islam_wd said:

If you can back up and justify your price, and you're getting buyers in, then keep your price as it is. It is frustrating when someone else offers a service at a very cheap price, but if you have good reviews and experience/qualifications, it's natural for your price to go higher and some people will be happy to pay for that. 

Since there are Fiverr sellers all over the world, the prices also vary because of that. Some countries have a cost of living 10x or MORE than in other countries. Second, it depends on experience. I started on Fiverr years ago charging $5 for article writing. Once my feedback was sufficient, I doubled my prices, then I doubled them again and finally tripled them. I'm still constantly busy and have repeat buyers, but a newbie selling something for $1000 who doesn't have any feedback would be viewed as a risk by some buyers. If they have 500+ 5-star feedbacks, they look like a safer bet.

Finally, you often get what you pay for. I've purchased gigs from cheap sellers, mid-priced and also high-priced sellers. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by the cheaper options or disappointed by the higher cost ones. I'm in the US and couldn't afford to live or feed myself on my old prices but it's taken a while to get to the point where I charge more and where I finally think I'm worth it. I know there are hundreds of other writers on here charging $5 for what I charge $50 for, but it's taken me time to get here and I price my work according to what sellers will happily pay. Just my two cents... 

As per my experience I feel the same. For $2k project you would sincerely work out a perfect and unique web design content from your expertise but from a $50-$200 range people get nulled themes installed with copy pasted content. Also your service and ethics would differ since you focus on quality while cheaper sellers focus on quantity.

When customer is picking for first time they're likely to choose low cost first because they don't understand quality - cost ratio. When they get delivery it may still look fine but once they start their climb towards user interactions eventually they'll find out the quality is so poor to sustain and some of them may come back  (or find local talent / look for other platforms) looking for a quality service where the price range is same as yours & quality too. 

That's what I found out from my professional experience. It's a tedious industry and getting more complex everyday.. 

18 hours ago, bilaltunio1201 said:

As a newbie, I believe it''s imperative for you to keep your prices low in order to attract clients. I guess the market is saturated enough with newbie's and generally people also willing to work at a lower wage, just to get reviews.

Yes, Buyer's are taking opportunity from this. We can work 100 usd work with 80/90. when we're doing it 5/10 usd. it's very bad. 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:14 PM, ariful_islam_wd said:

I agree with you

I'm not 100%, but I have a theory: everyone comes from different areas in the world, average prices are very different following areas we are.
Average price in north America and western Europe = almost same, but other than those 2 areas, average prices in other areas are way lower, and those other areas contain more people selling services for lower prices.
As the autor said, this is quite a pain because people don't like to like to pay, buyers would find my prices high but this is still lower than what I could earn in working in a company without every advantages i could have

Guest sakibhosen_
On 7/19/2022 at 11:14 PM, ariful_islam_wd said:

This is normal issue. Some seller are undervaluing of job here.

My idea is, number of sellers from a category is higher than particular industry you know. so then you can decide the price. but here it think number of sellers are increasing due to expanding the site. so demand is constant and supply is increasing with talent and skills. also buyers have lot of options to select. due to the competition of sellers, buyers  can select low price and get quality service

Archived