Doubts about product integration and licenses

patrick566

Hello everyone.
I'm a developer, and I'm here looking for professional media assets I can integrate in my open source projects.
Sadly, I'm not deeply into licensing matters, so I'm asking a few particular questions here.

I read https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011569298-For-Commercial-Use-license-details , that says: "By purchasing a "Commercial Use License" on Fiverr, the seller grants you a perpetual, exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the purchased delivery for Permitted Commercial Purposes. Unless clearly stated otherwise on the seller's Gig page/description, all intellectual property rights of the purchased delivery are hereby assigned to you."

From my understanding, even if my project is free and open source, I cannot integrate a Seller's work and distribute it as part of my software unless I purchase the "Commercial Use License" mentioned above. Is that correct? and once I bought the Commercial Use License for the requested product, will I be able to relicense the product itself under free licenses, like CC0 (Public Domain) even?

I would like to be sure and avoid any mistakes regarding licenses before I proceed to purchase someone's work.

Edited by patrick566
  • Like 7

Basically, the "unless clearly stated otherwise" mean that as far as Fiverr is concerned, you get the rights unless the gig is specifically marked as "Does Not Include Commercial Use".

It's interesting that the support page says "gig page/description". When I contacted CS to try and get confirmation of a gig description at the time of purchase, I was told they can't provide it and that the Order Details were the actual sort of 'legal arbiter' of what was included or not.

But, I'm not a contract lawyer. So, to save myself some risk, I've simply been avoiding sellers who are silent on it or have weird rules about it in their gig description.
Most gigs will include the Commercial Use License for free automatically (it will show in the Gig Tiers with a green checkmark when included, grey when not included). If you don't see it listed in the tiers, it's either silent or costs extra. Most of the time you can see the available Add Ons by scrolling down the page.

Personally, I just set the "Includes Commercial Use" checkbox under the "Service Options" section in Search so that I don't get any of the silent or complicated gigs.

Edited by moikchap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, patrick566 said:

I would like to be sure and avoid any mistakes regarding licenses before I proceed to purchase someone's work.

everyone can set their own rules about commercial rights. so the best solution is to ask the specific seller for an explanation. 

• Like 6