What do you find most attractive in a gig thumbnail?

akurionyx

I've gone through multitudes of popular gigs trying to figure out what works for people who don't want to reveal their face on Fiverr, and the ones that didn't have their face didn't have anything in common. Some of them weren't visually appealing, even, which I found vexing. I've played around with many different kinds of gig thumbnails and nothing seems to make mine stand out from the crowd.

What do you find most attractive in a gig thumbnail, and how can I improve mine?

Ghostwrite your fantasy or scifi story by Akurionyx | Fiverr

Help you write your story, book or novel by Akurionyx | Fiverr

• Like 1

17 hours ago, akurionyx said:

I've gone through multitudes of popular gigs trying to figure out what works for people who don't want to reveal their face on Fiverr, and the ones that didn't have their face didn't have anything in common. Some of them weren't visually appealing, even, which I found vexing. I've played around with many different kinds of gig thumbnails and nothing seems to make mine stand out from the crowd.

What do you find most attractive in a gig thumbnail, and how can I improve mine?

Ghostwrite your fantasy or scifi story by Akurionyx | Fiverr

Help you write your story, book or novel by Akurionyx | Fiverr

Less is more. I'm talking about text. If you're using a small font size or have too much text on your thumbnail, it will just look messy in search results, especially on mobile where it gets totally unreadable. 

Your thumbnails are difficult to read when not viewing them in full size. 

I understand that you don't want to use your face. That's fine, but just know that not doing so will put you at a disadvantage, because showing your face is a major trust signal to buyers. 

Personally, I think your thumbnails look a bit dated, have too much/difficult to read text. Here are some that stands out to me, without a face: 

image.png.33758e1557d2ae81683245087dd5f374.png

image.png.b682b3a9e20270291a8ff6540d77c21a.png

The first two for their simplicity: pure inspirational images. Giving off that "real author" vibe. 

The last two because they had bright colors that stand out among all the dark/gloomy images and messy stuff designed in Paint. 

With that said, I think your niche really has a "thumbnail" problem. I had trouble finding gigs with good thumbnails and the ones that had, didn't necessarily sell well. 

So I can see why you're finding it vexing to get inspiration from your category. 

I would perhaps look at some different niches, but still related to fantasy. 

I think these sellers are onto something: 

image.thumb.png.a16598308aa2e580a5c08513b37c15dc.png

It immediately tells me that this is about stories/books. With some great fantasy image as the backdrop for some cool book covers, you could perhaps stand out. It not only looks good, it makes it seem like your stories is publishable. Real. Worthy of a book. 

Perhaps you could write some short stories (originals, just for this purpose), send them to a cover designer who offers mockups, and get a few cool covers in retun that you can use. Get someone to draw or design an awesome, original backdrop. Go for something red/orange/blue to make it stand out. Hollywood loves those colors for a reason. 

Just some ideas I hope you can use! 

Disclaimer: I'm not a designer, but I've been selling and buying on Fiverr for 8 years, several of them as a Top Rated Seller (not in your niche/category). 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 4