4 Types of Nightmare Buyers and How to Deal With Them

Wow, so many tips about recognizing these difficult clients. In my short life on Fiverr, I´ve had a couple of them and now I always use my instinct, sensibility, or whatever is it called to decide to work or not to work with. The money is always important but if that is going to affect my humor and state of mind then it's a no-no.

Thanks for all the great tips. They are precious gifts to all us new members.

• Like 45

2 hours ago, mateusbl said:

@smashradio How about the "Nonsense" a buyer who refuse to answer any questions regarding the work to proceed in revisions. I'm struggling with this one and I had to request the support to this worst experience ever.

I guess a name for them could be Demovision (after the Demobats in Stranger Things, of course, combined with "revison"). 

• Like 44

@smashradio, I've ran into another type of buyer who deceptively agrees with all the gig extras I provide and innocently "adds-on" extra requirements. Do you have a name for this buyer?

Example: 

Buyer: Can you also make another version of my resume tailored to the healthcare industry?

Me: Sure, it's $40 (~43% off) for an additional resume. Please accept the special offer to add this onto the order. [sends gig extra for $40]

Buyer: [accepts the offer] Thanks! I am accepting this offer in conjunction with you also doing my daughter's resume. See attached.

Me: Your daughter's resume was going to be on the next order. Would you like to add on her resume to this order? [sends gig extra for $40]

Buyer: [accepts the offer] What on earth justifies $40 for a college grad resume?!!! I guess I'll accept this, but you need to provide me with 2 additional versions of my resume. I need a general resume that is tailored to both the fintech and healthcare industry. I also want a comprehensive CV that includes everything I sent you in my supporting documents zip file. Thanks.

[2 cover letters, 5 resumes, 2 LinkedIn profiles, many gig extras, and 3 deliveries later]

Me: [sends 3rd delivery] Here are your latest revisions. Please note that any additional revisions will cost extra.

Buyer: Where's the general cover letter? Also, all files need to be in txt format as well as the PDF and Word docs that you sent.

Me: Only two cover letters were included in this order (fintech & healthcare). Also, as noted in the order requirements, your delivery is a PDF and Word document of each file. Changing all the files to txt will take additional time and formatting due graphics and columns in your resumes. Would you like me to add on the 3rd resume to the order as well as the extra txt files? [sends gig extra]

Buyer: [ignores gig extra, but accepts delivery] I'm closing this order! We can take care of all the revisions and extras in the inbox. No pressure. 😊

Me: 🤦‍♀️

Although the buyer gave me a 5-star review, I gave him a 4-star review, and let him know that work and revisions are only done on open orders, not the inbox chats. I think he might give me a negative private review based on my inbox conversations with him. At least he paid! His order ended up being quite large with all his add ons.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 46
  • Haha 1

The Buyer Stands on top of my Dashboard with requesting a revision but not providing requirements.

I have this buyer who is a Fiverr Select buyer. After thorough discussion about their requirement and the outcome they can expect we started our first order. After Delivery this happened;

Revision 01:

Hi,
I really like this video ad. Here are the two small Revisions, I would like to see.

Delivered the revised version.

Revision 02:

Hi we may need to change the style of this video. My partner said she wanted some video graphics content to be in the commercial

Honestly I have no video clips of their product or there's no video content on the internet to source. Since I informed the inability to source video clips from my end and I am willing to replace some footages, if they can provide me some video clips, I am not getting any reply from them. It's been 7 days and still they are not responding. 

• Like 36
  • Sad 6

On 7/29/2022 at 2:48 AM, vickieito said:

@smashradio, I've ran into another type of buyer who deceptively agrees with all the gig extras I provide and innocently "adds-on" extra requirements. Do you have a name for this buyer?

SInce I'm out of names to use from Stranger Things at this point, we're going to have to innovate our naming strategy for additional types. 

Your description of them did help me arrive at a great name for your buyer: Decepticon. From The Transformers franchise, of course. 

I would block that buyer, btw. Ugh! 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:54 AM, digitalcontntlk said:

I am not getting any reply from them. It's been 7 days and still they are not responding. 

A buyer can't use the revision button unless the deliver didn't match the gig description/custom offer, especially not if they don't have any requirements/info about what they need changed. That's abuse of the revision button. I would just re-deliver and explain to them that they can't ask for a revision without providing the material/specifications. Never offer unlimited revisions, make sure you charge for them with custom order extras if anything they ask for wasn't included in the original order. You're not here to work for free. 

• Like 44

These types of stories always bother me. I haven't yet gained traction on here yet, but I know the freelancing game. Why is it so hard for people to recognize respect is a two-way street? You would think they'd be more cautious when we're working for ourselves and not trapped under some corporate "the customer is always right" ruleset.

• Like 41

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 1:07 AM, chriphenix said:

These types of stories always bother me. I haven't yet gained traction on here yet, but I know the freelancing game. Why is it so hard for people to recognize respect is a two-way street? You would think they'd be more cautious when we're working for ourselves and not trapped under some corporate "the customer is always right" ruleset.

True, those guys don't understand the risk of messing with us lol. Like when you are in restaurant you don't want to mess with the cook, unless you want him to spit in your food :classic_happy:

Imo its good to develop cold head approach when dealing with any client. If you are freelancer and take everything personal and emotional you're gonna have horrible experience.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

I know hundreds of Nightmare experiences

What about these?:

1- The client that does not want to give you any information, you ask him several times but he refuses to make their part or be cooperative.

Example:

Seller: "i know that you want a graphic with a car included, can you please name a car model or kind of car you want in there?"

Client:" You are the expert, work your magic"

After that you explain you do handcrafted work but the client remains to say the same "read my mind" thing

You deliver and the revision arrives with the client mentioning he was thinking he wanted to see a different car and model. 

Now i just need to press CTRL+(carmodel) key on my keyboard and it should be designed as magic!.

2- The one that threats you saying he knows someone from customer support... you report him and you realize he keeps doing the same and lives forever on the platform with no consequences.

3- The one that contacts you mentioning he only had bad experiences in the plattform, he even dares to mention their past orders being refunded!...for me this is a big warning light. A client with very high expectations nobody can please. 

4- The one that was expecting to see several "iterations" of your work with no adding any extra. Sometimes they promise a tip for the work to be done or future projects...of course, these are false promises.

5- The ones that threat you with a bad review, or the ones that ask you for something extra before closing the order

"i will leave a very good review IF you do this or that" what if not?

6- The one that needs to consult every change with a team of members and each one of them ask for a change or wants something different...i wonder why they do not make a decision before ordering what they need. 

7- The one that canceled the order and still uses the work you did.

8- The ones that leave a raging review because the order was closed automatically... always have a sick parent and they were unable to check the order earlier.

9- The ones that ask for impossible stuff

Example: Attached is a picture of my girlfriend, i want her to be facing front (the picture attached is from a profile view)

10- You explain to the buyer something wrong in the order and still want to continue even with those mistakes, after delivery he wants to correct those mistakes you explained.

Lately, i just refuse to work with people that just arrive demanding with not even say a Hi, or hello. I've learned to trust my gut, unfortunately, this will continue happening, there are a lot of abusive buyers and the system was made to be on the client side. Also, there are lots of sellers that would be willing to accept all these behavior to get a little money, so clients assume all of us work the same.

All these kinds of clients along with:

-The clients that order by mistake

-Other sellers asking you to give them work

-The ones that send you viruses inside a zip file to get in control of your account, or a link to a phishing site.

I can mention a lot more but i am afraid i am dealing with another Demandogorgon right now, so i need to RUN!

• Like 36

1 hour ago, kickgom said:

The client that does not want to give you any information, you ask him several times but he refuses to make their part or be cooperative.

Indeed a nightmare buyer. I rarely have this type of buyer, simply because I don't charge five bucks. By making them invest a considerable amount in their order, the buyer is more likely to take the time to get it done right. It doesn't make you immune, but it helps. 

The one that threats you saying he knows someone from customer support... you report him and you realize he keeps doing the same and lives forever on the platform with no consequences.

“There are two kinds of idiots - those who don't take action because they have received a threat, and those who think they are taking action because they have issued a threat.”

― Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym

The one that contacts you mentioning he only had bad experiences in the plattform, he even dares to mention their past orders being refunded!...for me this is a big warning light. A client with very high expectations nobody can please. 

Clients with a history of cancelations is certainly a red flag. But then again, I tend to support the buyers on this one. If a buyer comes to me after having a negative experience on Fiverr (it does happen) I do my best to make their experience with me the best possible one. I don't mind high expectations, because I also expect the best of myself. But the keyword here is high expectations. Not unrealistic expectations. I often get buyers who have ordered a translation or voice-over from some amateur here on Fiverr, and they're naturally disappointed about the whole thing. Then they decide that "Hey, it might be worth it to pay a bit more for quality and try out this Top Rated Seller here!". I'm gonna make damn sure they still think so when they download their delivery. 

The one that was expecting to see several "iterations" of your work with no adding any extra. Sometimes they promise a tip for the work to be done or future projects...of course, these are false promises.

That's a Scopoflayer. 

The ones that threat you with a bad review, or the ones that ask you for something extra before closing the order

Threatening to give you a bad review is not ok. Customer Support – here I come. Threats also qualify the buyer for my Toxic Spider Monster badge. 

The ones asking for more before closing the order are Scopoflayers

The one that needs to consult every change with a team of members and each one of them ask for a change or wants something different...i wonder why they do not make a decision before ordering what they need. 

Good lord. Yes. This is another classic example of the Scopoflayer. A very common specimen. 

The one that canceled the order and still uses the work you did.

I have one word: Lawyer. That's a direct violation of the terms, and in most countries, of copyright law, since the terms clearly state that the rights are only transferred to the buyer after payment. 

The ones that leave a raging review because the order was closed automatically... always have a sick parent and they were unable to check the order earlier.

Which is why I always make sure my buyers know that they can come to me any time for help/included revisions/additional work if they need so, even after the order is completed. I don't care if I have to make a revision today or tomorrow: if it's included I'll happily do it for them. If the work is outside the scope of the original order, they have to pay for my time. 

The ones that ask for impossible stuff

Yep. This harkens back to unrealistic expectations. 

You explain to the buyer something wrong in the order and still want to continue even with those mistakes, after delivery he wants to correct those mistakes you explained.

These can be very annoying. 

I've learned to trust my gut

Good choice. 

can mention a lot more but i am afraid i am dealing with another Demandogorgon right now, so i need to RUN!

Sorry to hear that! I wish you the best of luck on your quest to The Upside Down. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 38