Does Fiverr provide any safety against scammers??

manthonydaniel1

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and it's likely that this issue must have been raised before but I couldn't find it. How do you deal with Fiverr's communication policy being in favor of scammers. Almost anyone can claim to be from another country and there is almost no way to know the truth until after receiving the finished and your time was already wasted. 

Someone please tell me what is the best way to beat this serious flaw in Fiverr's policy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, manthonydaniel1 said:

Someone please tell me what is the best way to beat this serious flaw in Fiverr's policy. 

Filter your buyer's search to eliminate all except PRO/TRS, or Level 2 with 200+ 5 star reviews 

• Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, manthonydaniel1 said:

Almost anyone can claim to be from another country

Not only do these scammers claim to be from another country they claim to have degrees they do not have. I once saw a seller advertising his gig on the forum and claiming to have a doctorate in SEO! Plus, I just booked a gig from a regular buyer who received a book order from a Fiverr seller who claimed to have an English degree. It contains capitalization, spelling, grammar, and syntax errors, not to mention run-on sentences!

It is important to vet your sellers.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I once saw a seller advertising his gig on the forum and claiming to have a doctorate in SEO!

What in the entire world😅!? This is some crazy stuff. How are people allowed to write this mess on their profile description? Fiverr actually verified my degrees, or at least that's what I was notified of. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, manthonydaniel1 said:

Unfortunately, it's difficult to stop scammers on a platform with free access for sellers. The best way to avoid getting scammed is sticking to Top Rated Sellers and Pro Sellers. That way, you receive work from vetted talent. With that said, seller status isn't a guarantee. I've seen buyers walk away with second-grade results from both Pro and Top Rated sellers. After picking a seller, chat with them a bit to make sure it feels right. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

15 hours ago, manthonydaniel1 said:

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and it's likely that this issue must have been raised before but I couldn't find it. How do you deal with Fiverr's communication policy being in favor of scammers. Almost anyone can claim to be from another country and there is almost no way to know the truth until after receiving the finished and your time was already wasted

I think Fiverr has it stated somewhere. the simplest solution is to test. 

offer them a small pro-bono task that doesn't cost a lot. if they don't deliver as specified, you can ask customer support to cancel the order. If they deliver as specified but you don't like their style, you can always move on with minimal loss.

if you have funds available, you can test multiple sellers at a time. the choice is yours. 

p.s. not all sellers will agree to a test order tho. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wordsfire said:

offer them a small pro-bono task that doesn't cost a lot.

Isn't pro bono technically considered free? But anyway, I agree with the the small test order especially if the project is a large one. As a seller, I also prefer a small test order for potential large orders when working with new clients.

• Like 2
  • Up 2

12 hours ago, theratypist said:

Isn't pro bono technically considered free?

Yes, and it is prohibited. Years ago, I offered to do a VO for someone in a community facing a natural disaster, pro bono, and asked CS about it, they said no, it was not allowed. You could tell that they highly suspicious that payment was being snuck around some other channel. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Up 1

16 hours ago, theratypist said:
17 hours ago, wordsfire said:

offer them a small pro-bono task that doesn't cost a lot.

Isn't pro bono technically considered free?

yep, offer to pay a small fee for something they'd do pro bono. it's not always possible to come up with tests. 

Edited by wordsfire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wordsfire said:

yep, offer to pay a small fee for something they'd do pro bono. it's not always possible to come up with tests. 

A pro bono task can be a small or large one. The main idea is that its just free, but I get the point you're trying to make. For example, @newsmike was offering a VO for someone from a community that faced a natural disaster. Its usually an act of charity. Sometimes people do it so they could have a portfolio started (but that's not something applicable to Fiverr).

I think we should just scrap the word pro bono here. The idea of tests and small fee are the same thing. A test order is just a smaller order from the advertised package. Yes, its not usually possible (through a direct order) in most cases but it can be discussed. A seller if interested will just send in a custom order that can cover the smaller coverage for the test order. It does not necessarily mean it would have been something a seller would've done pro bono. A seller in their right mind, would want to get paid for the time they put in that custom sample unless they just send in their general samples.

• Like 7