Weekend Rush – What’s up With That?

smashradio

This week has been relatively slow. I had about ten orders (two of them being large enough to make me smile) but nothing over the top. I was looking forward to a relaxing Friday. Nothing ever happens on Fridays. Perhaps the odd buyer will pop in with a question or a revision request, but never anything significant. 

On top of that, it's the summer holidays in lots of places. 

But this Friday has been crazy. Three new orders popped in on their own. Then I landed a 4000-word eLearning project for a big corporation, a 3000-word and a 6000-word translation through custom offers, from buyers who decided that "now is the time!"

I'm glad I can plan stuff like this, so I don't need to complete all the jobs this weekend. But damn. What a Friday! 

How's your week been? 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 9
  • Up 2

I had a record-breaking number of messages in my inbox this morning. Unfortunately, a couple of them were the usual spam (e.g., only 'hi,' suggestions that I give them some of my work, etc.). Many seem promising, however. I am always busy and grateful for it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, melanielm said:

I had a record-breaking number of messages in my inbox this morning. Unfortunately, a couple of them were the usual spam (e.g., only 'hi,' suggestions that I give them some of my work, etc.). Many seem promising, however. I am always busy and grateful for it.

I try to not be busy on the weekends. This week was nothing special at all, until today - haha. Yeah my inbox has been the place to be this friday, for sure. And no spam! That's perhaps even more unusual. 

• Like 6

Some people end up placing larger orders at the end of the week so they can receive the finished product on Monday/Tuesday. It happens. In my case, business is slower during Friday-Sunday, but some orders pop up here and there. Like you, I try to avoid weekend work, but things don't always go as planned, lol.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Some people end up placing larger orders at the end of the week so they can receive the finished product on Monday/Tuesday. It happens. In my case, business is slower during Friday-Sunday, but some orders pop up here and there. Like you, I try to avoid weekend work, but things don't always go as planned, lol.

Indeed - haha. Yeah it sometimes happens, but not like today. It's mostly smaller orders or time-sensitive stuff. Tuesday is my big "order day", normally. I wonder if these people think before they act. I bet they would appreciate the boss coming into the office on Friday afternoon with a huge project. "Have it ready on Monday, thank you very much". 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5

No huge rush this week, though I'm quite happy as I'm playing D&D for the first time tomorrow (also like, eek!) My 'big day' tends to be early/mid-week, OR Friday/Saturday,  but with me being away/not delivering much for over a week I can kind of understand things being a bit slow.

Once I catch up with everything, I already have other stuff (for on-going) projects lined up so I'm honestly just glad to have a bit of an extended 'holiday' as that week abroad really took a lot out of me!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Hopefully you don't have to finish everything by Monday though.

Or charge a huge premium for it. I am fine when buyers rush me, it reminds me that FedEx is happy to change 3 day to overnight simply for adjusting the cost. 

image.png.a4da22d8fe6c2018ebe865fce09cfef2.png

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Or charge a huge premium for it. I am fine when buyers rush me, it reminds me that FedEx is happy to change 3 day to overnight simply for adjusting the cost. 

I don't mind if they rush me. I have a rush fee for those occasions. I usually deliver most VOs in 24 hours or less, and the client can pay extra to get it even faster. But I'm not a fan of working on weekends. At least not at 100%. But if the client want to pay for the privilege of having me record in my PJs at 3 am on a sunday morning, I will. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

My 'big day' tends to be early/mid-week,

Typically, I get the most orders and messages on Monday and Thursday, and the weekends are relatively quiet.

58 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I don't mind if they rush me. I have a rush fee for those occasions.

And I make a pretty penny for rush fees too!

• Like 5