The buyer was rude

kratika24

When it comes to the projects I will be handling, I am quite honest. Today, a buyer contacted me to ask if I could create a script in Hindi. (Even though I only chose the language "English" for my script writing gig.)

The person asked me: Then for whom you write script for youtube channel in India?

And I answered: Whenever I take project from Indian customers, they are also delivered in the English language. I have worked with Peepoye for his website content based on the Bollywood news and gossips. But that too was written in English. 

The reason is that it's crucial to disclose everything I do up front so that they won't accuse me of lying after receiving the document.

But I got a shocking reply. "Ok, nice attitude you have.

I calmly informed them that I wasn't being rude and was only providing information. But now that I kind of recognized the warning sign, I told the person I didn't want to collaborate with them and put the conversation in spam. Being direct is preferable I think, rather than squandering someone else's time and hard-earned money.

Should I, however, worry?

Edited by kratika24
  • Like 4
  • Up 1

Hi @kratika24, I think how you handled this buyer is perfect.

You won't be able to control what kinds of buyers reach out to you. Some will be rude for no reason, others will be demanding, and then others are easily offended or agitated.  All you can do is stay calm, professional, and alert (just like you were). I'm glad that you immediately recognized the warning signs with this buyer and chose not to do business with him. You should never work with someone who is rude, demanding, or you feel uncomfortable working with.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

9 hours ago, kratika24 said:

Should I, however, worry?

You weren't rude. With that said, you can always phrase things more politely to disarm buyers with an attitude. 

For example: 

"Thank you for asking! That's a great question. I have worked on several English language projects for my indian customers, like [blah blah blah]. At this time, I prefer to work exclusively on English language content. If you're looking for content in other languages, I'd be happy to recommend a fellow seller who can deliver outstanding results in *language*." 

See how that just sounds different, while communicating the same thing? It makes it nearly impossible to have an attitude towards that type of language, because it is specifically "designed" to 1) be super polite, 2) make the buyer feel bad if they aren't polite in return and 3) provide the buyer with a solution, even though it might not be an order with you. 

Just an idea 😄

• Like 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2