Jump to content

What is spam and what is not?


Recommended Posts

Hello everybody.

I have came across something a week ago in my inbox.

Some messages from protential clients are in the spam folder. I understand sometimes the buyer might have ill intentions and could potentially send a suspicious link or a corrupt file. Or might mention some other platforms while messaging sellers. So they would head to the spam folder when they message, or hunted down by fiverr and their accounts might be suspended/deleted.

But when i checked my spam folder, i came across some legitimate buyers who have sent me messages like 6 months ago. And i wondered if they are really not legit. Because some of them really looked like they wanted a job done. And couple of those jobs were actually good opportunities.

So i messaged some of them, even tho its 6 months old, i reached out and mentioned that their messages were in my spam folder so i couldnt see. And we chatted for a little. It turns out they have done the job with some other seller in fiverr and they were happy about it. Their accounts, names, pictures and requests looked right and reasonable

I wonder this, what could have caused that their messages were considered spam? Does fiverr take action when a buyer messages too many people at once? Thinking they are bots or something? Because thats the only explanation i had in my mind. Maybe they just picked 10 sellers, copied the same message to all of them and after the first three, rest were marked as spam?

Do you guys have any other experience or knowledge about this?

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ozan_erdi said:

Hello everybody.

I have came across something a week ago in my inbox.

Some messages from protential clients are in the spam folder. I understand sometimes the buyer might have ill intentions and could potentially send a suspicious link or a corrupt file. Or might mention some other platforms while messaging sellers. So they would head to the spam folder when they message, or hunted down by fiverr and their accounts might be suspended/deleted.

But when i checked my spam folder, i came across some legitimate buyers who have sent me messages like 6 months ago. And i wondered if they are really not legit. Because some of them really looked like they wanted a job done. And couple of those jobs were actually good opportunities.

So i messaged some of them, even tho its 6 months old, i reached out and mentioned that their messages were in my spam folder so i couldnt see. And we chatted for a little. It turns out they have done the job with some other seller in fiverr and they were happy about it. Their accounts, names, pictures and requests looked right and reasonable

I wonder this, what could have caused that their messages were considered spam? Does fiverr take action when a buyer messages too many people at once? Thinking they are bots or something? Because thats the only explanation i had in my mind. Maybe they just picked 10 sellers, copied the same message to all of them and after the first three, rest were marked as spam?

Do you guys have any other experience or knowledge about this?

I would check my response rate/time if I were you. I replied to a message in spam once, and it killed my response rate since responding = unflagging it as spam, and that resets the timer. So if you respond, the system will basically think you took six months to respond to a legitimate message. Unless they have fixed this issue... 

It could be too many similar messages at once. If a buyer sends out the same message to tens of buyers, it might trigger it. 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, smashradio said:

I would check my response rate/time if I were you. 

It seems fine. Response rate didint change. Maybe they have fixed it.

8 hours ago, smashradio said:

It could be too many similar messages at once. If a buyer sends out the same message to tens of buyers, it might trigger it. 

Yeah, thats what im thinking

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ozan_erdi said:

It seems fine. Response rate didint change. Maybe they have fixed it.

Yeah, thats what im thinking

Awesome if they did. That was a motivation-killer for sure. 😂

Yeah I try to be careful when reaching out to several buyers at the same time. Making the messages unique, waiting a while between messages and so on. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...