Selling while in school?

purplebash

I was wondering if there were many others like me, selling on Fiverr while in college or school in general. I have many Gig ideas for little things that I know I’m good at, but a few of those ideas relate to writing and I feel that nobody would take me seriously as a writer given that I am young. In general, I feel very intimidated sometimes in that I worry if I’m too inexperienced for working here, despite having practiced what I sell and what I could sell for around 4 years now. That said, I use my earnings on Fiverr for college tuition and housing (which is insane) and am just looking to help people. Any other students making ends meet with Fiverr? Just curious as to what your thoughts are regarding being both a student and a seller. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Guest logowizardhere

Kudos! you’ve come to know about Fiverr when you’re in schools, tells me that you’ve a lot of time to get success here.

All the best. 

I started Fiverr the summer after graduating high school, and it’s a great job for college! I work with professionals on a regular basis and for the most part, they’re great! There’s always the occasional buyer who is condescending and makes an insult about my age, but that’s rare. If you’re going to do videos, people will obviously see how old you are. If you’re just writing though, nobody has to know! I just found out that one of the top writers on the site, Ryan G-something, is young as well. Never would have known!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I started Fiverr when I was fourteen, and have made quite a lot of progress! I believe anyone can have a successful Fiverr gig if they really enjoy and are good at what they offer. Best of luck with your writing. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m currently in a graduate/professional program and I started doing transcription work on fiverr recently just to have some sort of cash coming in for the summer. I don’t think I could ever use it to make significant money (proper transcription takes a long time for me) and I’ll probably have to stop once classes start but for now it’s nice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m also in a graduate programme, but I started on Fiverr back when I was finishing my undergraduate studies. I felt it was a great way to practice my skills and make some money that would help me “survive” my summer and then later on buy the textbooks I need and the train card to get to university (I’m a commuter)

I feel like you shouldn’t be under so much pressure about what other people think here. If you do your job well and are serious, people will think that about you no matter your age. The market seems to want young people with years of experience in their field, which is unrealistic. I think Fiverr is a great place for us students to practice the skills we are learning. Granted, it’s not for that much money but when the opportunity for a better job comes we can at least say "yes, I’ve been working with that for 20 different clients as a freelancer."

Best of luck! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I myself just finished high-school one month ago, and started Fiverr 3 months ago from now. You have nothing to be ashamed of if you really know what you are doing. As a beginner, you should give your clients the opportunity to get several free reviews in order to become more experienced and to get a better idea of what people are looking for through your gig. I myself play the guitar since more than ten years and have many skills in audio stuffs: composing, recording, playing, audio-editing and much more, and Fiverr is a good way for me to get more experience in those field because my customers are asking me to do things I won’t have done without Fiverr (For example, someone once ask me for a guitar recording as cytar, using indian scales, and I never done such thing before, though, I learned many things through this work). So in time, Fiverr will let you earn some bucks but many experience, and that’s the point! All you got to do is to give your customers the best you can, even though the few bucks you will get are not worth the time you spend working on this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The experience is definitely one of the best reasons to use Fiverr, because I can do what I enjoy and get better at it while making a little bit. I also just finished high school and only started about 3-4 months ago! And I’m hoping this will also go toward my textbook expenses… not looking forward to that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

Hey all, I’m starting Highschool this week and I’m not sure how I should go about using Fiverr, Just to be clear, I don’t want to stop, I’m just not sure If I should increase the delivery time to 2 days, instead of one, just in case some homework piles up, for those of you who use/d Fiverr during the school year, how did you do it, and what, if anything did you change?

• Josh
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Increasing the delivery time is a good start. I started fiverr while I was in college and back then things were a bit different. If you’re going to do both, create a task list and schedule for how much time you need to dedicate to each item. School work always comes first followed by fiverr.

If you’re going to extend delivery time, go for 2-3 days so that you can have a safety net should anything out of the blue surface. You’re already off to a good start; keep up the awesome work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am really proud of you that you earn so much at this age, but also I think you don’t want to get stuck at your current earning level. To improve we need to keep upgrading our learning methods and work skills. I suggest you lick a school on your working subject best wishes kiddo 😘

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, safouaneayadi said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I'm a 15-year-old game developer who creates games on Fiverr and earns a minimum of $600 per month. I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to attend school because it takes up about 8 hours of my day.

Good to have alternatives when AI replaces all dev positions. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 1