Who owns the source file of a book cover gig?

theogianna

Question

I have requested a gig form a book cover designer, and they state, in their gig info, that the "Source File" is available in the deal. I take it, that it means I will own the source file 100%, once everything id done, is that so? If yes, on receiving the source file, I can then use it for another of my book covers, without needing to ask the cover designer of the source file, whether I can use it or not, without any legal recourse. Is that correct?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, theogianna said:

I have requested a gig form a book cover designer, and they state, in their gig info, that the "Source File" is available in the deal. I take it, that it means I will own the source file 100%, once everything id done, is that so? If yes, on receiving the source file, I can then use it for another of my book covers, without needing to ask the cover designer of the source file, whether I can use it or not, without any legal recourse. Is that correct?

Contact the seller and ask them.

I think you can use it 100% without asking the seller. Because you bought the service to provide the source file. However, if the designer copies someone else's design, the original owner can give the copyright. So I think the designer should be asked if it can be used commercially? And learn more details from him.

Archived