How to review this buyer?

I know there are several posts about whether or not to give your buyer an honest review. But every case is different so I wanted to present mine and see what you guys think!

For starters like many other stories, everything started out fine. I delivered and he wanted a revision. Not a problem! I delivered a new version which is now 'in revision' for 16 days. I posted something about the red clock irking the heck out of me, but other than that it's not really a problem. It's just very annoying that I cannot close an order.

He said give me a week to really focus on it and give edits. Alright sure thing! After a week he didn't contact me yet. So I messaged him. Nothing. I messaged him 3 days later. Nothing. I messaged him today (4 days later) saying how I understand life can get busy, but just give me a sign of life (not phrased like this of course 🥴). He finally replied. 

He said sorry here are my edits. And then proceeds to send an entire new poem based on nothing I wrote. Mind you, he didn't send me a version at first to work on or edit. He just gave information for me to work with and I did my job and created a poem. 

This isn't within my services per se, but I've done it before. It's just a bit weird he did a 180 and now I'm editing a piece that's not mine and my original work isn't being used at all. Technically the revision is being used and fair enough, the same work could've gone into editing my own piece. So on the one hand I want to say 'this isn't what a revision entails', but on the other hand I just want to get it over with and isn't a lot more work I think. 

So now I wonder if I should mention anything about this in my review (if there will be one), how communication didn't went great to say the least. Taking the whole 'private reviewing' having quite an impact on your profile into consideration. Or just provide 4* and say it was an alright buyer. 

In the year I've been here this is the first pain in the butt client I have worked with and I understand I can consider myself very lucky for that! But it's also the reason why I'm posting this. Partially venting, partially to gain some insights of all of you 😇 

Edited by sabinespoems
The buyer responded with details what I wanted
  • Like 14

Hi @sabinespoems, Anything that you write in the review (either private or public) shouldn't be a surprise to the buyer. So if you are disappointed or frustrated with how the buyer is behaving (and you're going to include it in your review), please make sure this is something that you've already communicated to your buyer. 

I found out most of my "pain-in-the-butt" clients are only that way because I've miscommunicated that their behavior was somehow acceptable to me. That it was okay if they disappeared for days without giving me all the information that I need to move forward. That it was okay if they constantly kept changing their order requirements or don't provide clear instructions.

So if I were to say in a review that communication was poor, I think most of them would be surprised. Because to them, everything was going great. Apparently I was the only one suffering because of my "niceness" and my own lack of communication.

Once I started communicating better by letting my buyers know my boundaries and expectations, I found my buyers communicated and acted better too. Often my buyers are clueless on how their actions are affecting me until I bring it up. I found honest communication (with the intent to improve working relationships) makes dealing with clients so much easier.

Sorry! This got a little off topic. I don't know if this helps you in your decision on how to review the buyer, but maybe it can help you have less headaches when dealing with your clients. 😊

• Like 11
  • Up 3

I must say you are brave for endeavoring to make a gig about something as personal as poetry writing 🙂

I highly suggest you set up a revision policy, put it in your FAQs and make sure your buyers are aware of it.

Personally, I offer 7 days and I make sure buyers know that even if the order completes on its own. If they submit a revision without their required edits, I work out a deadline and if they don't meet that, then it's done. I resubmit, make it fully clear in the new submission why I am resubmitting.

You buyer may have been one of those people who are not aware of unspoken boundaries. That's why companies and professionals set policies for stuff like this. When the limits are not explicitly drawn, then these people knowingly or unknowingly will walk all over you.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, vickieito said:

Sorry! This got a little off topic. I don't know if this helps you in your decision on how to review the buyer, but maybe it can help you have less headaches when dealing with your clients. 😊

No need to apologize, it makes a lot of sense and the way you explained it is very helpful! Although it all sounds so logical and deep down I do know this, I definitely 'forgot' people don't all have the same communication/working mindset 😅 A little update; he ended up accepting the order today after I provided my feedback (very much to my surprise), but didn't leave a review. For future cases (hopefully it will be zero though), I'll certainly keep your post in mind!

7 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

I must say you are brave for endeavoring to make a gig about something as personal as poetry writing 🙂

I highly suggest you set up a revision policy, put it in your FAQs and make sure your buyers are aware of it.

I appreciate your kind words! Although bravery might be a bit too generous to describe it haha. But about including what constitutes a revision is a good idea! 

When the limits are not explicitly drawn, then these people knowingly or unknowingly will walk all over you.

That's definitely true. I think the reason why I was a bit annoyed about this whole situation was even though it didn't hurt me in any way (the order was just sitting and waiting), it just felt a bit like my time wasn't being respected. There was no ill will, I guess it was indeed someone who just simply wasn't aware of those unspoken boundaries.

I resubmit, make it fully clear in the new submission why I am resubmitting.

I do have a question about this; ToS mentions how you cannot deliver work that's unfinished. Wouldn't an unrevised order sort of count as such? Even when the buyer didn't provide details for the Seller to complete, in the buyer's eyes the work is not yet fulfilled. I think an unresponsive buyer not providing any details definitely counts as enough reason to re-deliver, but how does Fiverr approach this? 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, sabinespoems said:

I do have a question about this; ToS mentions how you cannot deliver work that's unfinished. Wouldn't an unrevised order sort of count as such? Even when the buyer didn't provide details for the Seller to complete, in the buyer's eyes the work is not yet fulfilled. I think an unresponsive buyer not providing any details definitely counts as enough reason to re-deliver, but how does Fiverr approach this? 

It's a pretty good question.

Yes, a buyer may see it as unfinished work. I can see how not having clearly laid out guidelines for revisions would lead to there being issues with this.

However, Fiverr also asks us to work things out with our Buyers. This means that we have the freedom to decide what terms of service we offer. That can include how revisions work.

It's also my understanding that Buyers aren't allowed to send revision requests without any guidelines and specifications. Technically, a Buyer would be at breach of this if they submitted a revision request this way.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

It's also my understanding that Buyers aren't allowed to send revision requests without any guidelines and specifications. Technically, a Buyer would be at breach of this if they submitted a revision request this way.

That definitely makes sense! I guess it's also dependent on how you communicate it. And your approach is pretty straightforward with clear terms. Thank you for clarifying further! 

• Like 7