Freelancing from a country with many scammers

it's been a great fit working on Fiverr for about a year now. I'm from Nigeria and a lot of customers avoid my GIGs even though my work samples are very good, because of the country I come from. Once they see my country on my profile they just skip without clicking to watch my GIg video and this is bad because I'm professional at what I do. And never intend on scamming anyone because animation is what is for a living and I'm a hard worker. I love being an Animator. #Disney

A113260C-FA07-482E-B150-8FD4475D7AFB.jpeg

A6D08063-DA0F-440F-BC25-CCD0C393A650.jpeg

Edited by christiandam20
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, christiandam20 said:

it's been a great fit working on Fiverr for about a year now. I'm from Nigeria and a lot of customers avoid my GIGs even though my work samples are very good, because of the country I come from. Once they see my country on my profile they just skip without clicking to watch my GIg video and this is bad because I'm professional at what I do. And never intend on scamming anyone because animation is what is for a living and I'm a hard worker. I love being an Animator. #Disney

I understand how this can be a pain. Being from Nigeria, I bet you must get that a lot, given the number of scams coming out of your country. 

Even so, there are ways you can mitigate the first impression some people might get. 

When I went to your profile, the first thing that hit me was that you look a bit angry in your profile picture. People want to work with friendly sellers, and even though I'm sure you're a friendly guy, your profile picture tells a different story. 

Try getting out in some beautiful surroundings, take a pro photographer with you, and get some great business portraits taken. Smile. 

Another thing you might do is introduce yourself in your videos. Buy a good microphone (doesn't have to be voice over level, but still good) and make sure you're in some nice surroundings. Make your office look nice and ready for business, film yourself and introduce your gig before you show examples. 10 seconds or so will do. It shows the buyer that you're in a fact a real person and you're not afraid to show yourself. Might help with the trust factor. If you have a strong accent, get someone from an english speaking country to practice the lines with before you record your video. 

I hope that helps! 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Congrats! 1

8 hours ago, christiandam20 said:

a lot of customers avoid my GIGs even though my work samples are very good, because of the country I come from. Once they see my country on my profile they just skip without clicking to watch my GIg video

How could you possibly know this to be true? There is no metric for this. There is no possible way for you to know that buyers are skipping you, and not watching your videos just because of where you come from. Please do not make grand assumptions like this that you cannot prove with tangible facts.

• Like 9