What traditions do you have in your part of the world?

sarahcmcooper

I've got a wedding on this weekend (not mine) and it got me thinking about little traditions that people have all over the place and how they're different. 

Here, we are in a really rural location, and it's traditional for close friends/family to make mannequins of the bride and groom and place it near the road where they are getting married, and near their house. We also have people who make mannequins and put them in their fields for special events, and to recognise things. And randomly someone put a welly boot on a fence post and now there's an entire road with different footwear on the fence posts, including sparkly platform boots. 

At the wedding it's customary for, instead of a first dance, an older married couple to be selected to 'lead' the married couple in a dance. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, sarahcmcooper said:

I've got a wedding on this weekend (not mine) and it got me thinking about little traditions that people have all over the place and how they're different. 

Here, we are in a really rural location, and it's traditional for close friends/family to make mannequins of the bride and groom and place it near the road where they are getting married, and near their house. We also have people who make mannequins and put them in their fields for special events, and to recognise things. And randomly someone put a welly boot on a fence post and now there's an entire road with different footwear on the fence posts, including sparkly platform boots. 

At the wedding it's customary for, instead of a first dance, an older married couple to be selected to 'lead' the married couple in a dance. 

We have a tradition of getting pissed off drunk. Then drink some more. Just like my people do every weekend. We then complain about it the next day. 

Good lord, I'm glad I don't drink. 

• Like 3
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1

Our traditions are mainly targets to torture the groom. And it starts from way back before the wedding. It starts when you meet the family. I have an extensive best man experience, i saw all of the crap. But luckily, they are not as common as it was before.

First we have this thing where you visit your girlfriends family house to "ask permission" from the father .to take their doughter (Not marry, take. I wrote that right) Supposedly ıt should be a fine evening. You go with your parents, both parties parents make small talk. And grooms dad asks the brides dad "The reason that we are here is because younglings love each other and we would like your permission to take your daughter" something like that(there are couple of key sentences to be said there, in exact words). In the meanwhile the bride serves turkish coffee to everyone. Turkish coffee is a strong drink. Dense and hard. BUT, bride puts salt to the grooms coffe. Not just a little, enough salt to dry your blood. If the groom drinks it without making any face, nobody says something but brides father accepts to give their daughter to the man. I dont know what the hell happens if the son dies of dehydration while drinking that coffee, i guess they just make fun of the grooms manliness and give the permission anyway.

After writting this, i realised this would be a very long post since we are still months away from the wedding in the story. So i will stop now unless you guys want to hear the rest of the torture 😄 

• Like 5