Client cancels order because you take days off during the weekend?

Long story short, a client got their huge order with me cancelled after saying that I wasn't "professional" enough because I took a day off in order to keep my healthy work-life balance. That was on a Sunday! The client was also intrusive by asking direct questions about my activities and it felt like I was obliged to give accounts of every move I make while I having an ongoing order with them.

Fiverr, after being asked by the client and without taking into account my position, also without looking at my communication with the client from day 1, cancelled the order in record time! How come this is considered fair?! Did anyone else have the same experience? What can we do about it?

To support my case, I have 30+ satisfied clients and 30+ five-star reviews on the gig that I got the cancelled order under. If there is a better way of telling if someone is "professional" or not, it is by looking at their track record. After this incident, I have decided to find additional platforms as I see that Fiverr doesn't really care about the people who make them earn more than 25% of their profits.

Please share your opinion, stories and other enlightenment that you might have to share with the community.

Arrogance and bullying will not be tolerated! Thank you!

Edited by tarudeva762
  • Like 15
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1

• tarudeva762 changed the title to Client cancels order because you take days off during the weekend?
13 hours ago, tarudeva762 said:

Long story short, a client got their huge order with me cancelled after saying that I wasn't "professional" enough because I took a day off in order to keep my healthy work-life balance. That was on a Sunday! The client was also intrusive by asking direct questions about my activities and it felt like I was obliged to give accounts of every move I make while I having an ongoing order with them.

Fiverr, after being asked by the client and without taking into account my position, also without looking at my communication with the client from day 1, cancelled the order in record time! How come this is considered fair?! Did anyone else have the same experience? What can we do about it?

To support my case, I have 30+ satisfied clients and 30+ five-star reviews on the gig that I got the cancelled order under. If there is a better way of telling if someone is "professional" or not, it is by looking at their track record. After this incident, I have decided to find additional platforms as I see that Fiverr doesn't really care about the people who make them earn more than 25% of their profits.

Please share your opinion, stories and other enlightenment that you might have to share with the community.

Arrogance and bullying will not be tolerated! Thank you!

Really sorry to know your story. Actually there is no weekend for a freelancer life. So if you want to enjoy your weekend, please try to increase your order delivery date so that order will be not counted as late order. Buyer can cancel any order if the order is late.

Thanks

• Like 13
  • Up 2

Unfortunately there are no weekends on fiverr, al days count as the work days and you also don’t have in your gig description that you take weekend off. 
As long as you have order running fiverr expects flawless delivery and for you to be available for clients for the duration of an order even if it falls on a weekend 

• Like 13
  • Up 2

14 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Unfortunately there are no weekends on fiverr, al days count as the work days and you also don’t have in your gig description that you take weekend off. 
As long as you have order running fiverr expects flawless delivery and for you to be available for clients for the duration of an order even if it falls on a weekend 

Yes, I had a 60-day delivery because I counted the days off I take. I explained this to the client and they basically said this was unprofessional.

• Like 7

On 6/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, tarudeva762 said:

Long story short, a client got their huge order with me cancelled after saying that I wasn't "professional" enough because I took a day off in order to keep my healthy work-life balance. That was on a Sunday!

It is every sellers responsibility to make sure they have enough time on your orders to allow for days off. I don't know if this order was delivered "late" in the Fiverr system or not, but since Fiverr cancelled it, I assume it was. 

If that's the case, this is a miscalculation on your part and you wouldn't be the first one to make it. I know – I've been there! 

To better manage your time on Fiverr, you should make sure your delivery times are set so that you have enough time to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

I see you say later on that you had it set to 60 days. If so, is that enough to complete projects? If not, what can be done to move things along quicker, or better communicate this to your buyers? 

If an order times out on a sunday, you can be sure that some buyers will expect it to be delivered before the deadline. And why shouldn't they? We have deadlines for a reason. 

With all that said: a buyer asking you to explain what you've been doing on your day off is out of bounds. If a buyer did this to me, I'd put them in their place (politely, of course). 

Now here's how I solve this if I screw up when planning: I'll politely ask the buyer for more time on the order, explain the situation, and in 99% of cases, the buyer will be very understanding. 

If the buyer goes on a rampage about it, I'll stay up all night if I have to, making sure the buyer gets exactly what they've ordered before the deadline. That's what I'm paid to do. That's what I promised to do. It's my mistake, and only I can fix it. So I do. 

I then regret my mistake the next day and use it as a learning experience. 

What I won't do, is blame Fiverr for my mistake. Even though it sucks, and your buyer sounds very needy. I would certainly block this individual after completing the order.

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 11
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

18 hours ago, smashradio said:

It is every sellers responsibility to make sure they have enough time on your orders to allow for days off. I don't know if this order was delivered "late" in the Fiverr system or not, but since Fiverr cancelled it, I assume it was. 

If that's the case, this is a miscalculation on your part and you wouldn't be the first one to make it. I know – I've been there! 

To better manage your time on Fiverr, you should make sure your delivery times are set so that you have enough time to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

I see you say later on that you had it set to 60 days. If so, is that enough to complete projects? If not, what can be done to move things along quicker, or better communicate this to your buyers? 

If an order times out on a sunday, you can be sure that some buyers will expect it to be delivered before the deadline. And why shouldn't they? We have deadlines for a reason. 

With all that said: a buyer asking you to explain what you've been doing on your day off is out of bounds. If a buyer did this to me, I'd put them in their place (politely, of course). 

Now here's how I solve this if I screw up when planning: I'll politely ask the buyer for more time on the order, explain the situation, and in 99% of cases, the buyer will be very understanding. 

If the buyer goes on a rampage about it, I'll stay up all night if I have to, making sure the buyer gets exactly what they've ordered before the deadline. That's what I'm paid to do. That's what I promised to do. It's my mistake, and only I can fix it. So I do. 

I then regret my mistake the next day and use it as a learning experience. 

What I won't do, is blame Fiverr for my mistake. Even though it sucks, and your buyer sounds very needy. I would certainly block this individual after completing the order.

Thank you so much for the support! :classic_love: Everything you say is absolutely reasonable and I understand that miscalculations might happen but overtime we all learn (to some extent) and this is why I had 60 days set as my delivery deadline. :classic_laugh:

Let me give you an answer to some of your questions. On day 1 of the client contacting me, I gave them a two-option, hand-drawn plan of how I would go about completing their project. They agreed and actually let me decide on how to do this on my own, trusting my skills completely (trust which I would not abuse in any way!). However, I needed a bit of time to give myself a mental break from the previous clients I had just finished working with, and to complete a few of the first steps on the project to then be able to give a progress report to my client. After 1 day of the order countdown commencement, and without any sign of understanding or empathy, the client was already asking me for a substantive progress report, saying that I should be ready in about two days. ...bear in mind, I had 58 days left and counting down. That is why I was saying in my original post that it isn't fair how Fiverr proceed with freelancers. :classic_sad:

This, I believe, should be considered abusive and such clients should not be allowed to use the services on this platform. Not only were they not willing to pay as much as I asked for, but additionally tried pushing my mental limits saying that I am not capable of doing my job. May nobody else here have the same experience as me, because it is wrecking, demotivating and dehumanising! 

I hope that everyone on here feels appreciated by all of their clients! 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, tarudeva762 said:

Thank you so much for the support! :classic_love: Everything you say is absolutely reasonable and I understand that miscalculations might happen but overtime we all learn (to some extent) and this is why I had 60 days set as my delivery deadline. :classic_laugh:

Let me give you an answer to some of your questions. On day 1 of the client contacting me, I gave them a two-option, hand-drawn plan of how I would go about completing their project. They agreed and actually let me decide on how to do this on my own, trusting my skills completely (trust which I would not abuse in any way!). However, I needed a bit of time to give myself a mental break from the previous clients I had just finished working with, and to complete a few of the first steps on the project to then be able to give a progress report to my client. After 1 day of the order countdown commencement, and without any sign of understanding or empathy, the client was already asking me for a substantive progress report, saying that I should be ready in about two days. ...bear in mind, I had 58 days left and counting down. That is why I was saying in my original post that it isn't fair how Fiverr proceed with freelancers. :classic_sad:

This, I believe, should be considered abusive and such clients should not be allowed to use the services on this platform. Not only were they not willing to pay as much as I asked for, but additionally tried pushing my mental limits saying that I am not capable of doing my job. May nobody else here have the same experience as me, because it is wrecking, demotivating and dehumanising! 

I hope that everyone on here feels appreciated by all of their clients! 

This sure sounds like a terrible client. I don't envy you for having to deal with such people. I would have personally set the bar right then and there by explaining what's what (in a polite but very firm way). 

Your buyer sounds so unreasonable that I almost expect there was some form of miscommunication going on here. Perhaps they expected something entirely different? 

This is why I always repeat essential things and get their confirmation on things like deadlines. Some people are ignoramuses and need a bit of help understanding that 60 isn't the same as 2. 

I can see why you don't think this is fairly handled by Fiverr. But Fiverr is just a platform – a tool for us to use – and they allow us to use it as long as we follow their terms. They leave it to us, sellers and buyers, to handle things like this, just like we would have if we had our own office or brick-and-mortar store. The main difference is that Fiverr sometimes intervenes on our behalf, and it's not always fair. But then again, life isn't fair, and business certainly isn't. 

I often let potential clients off because their budget doesn't align with my rates. If they weren't willing to pay what you asked for, you could in hindsight, have explained that you don't think you'd be a great fit. People who try to push for lower rates – the Scrooge McDucks of this world – are usually not the type of buyers I want to be working with.

Regarding your emotional experience: I understand that dealing with this sort of buyer can be tough.

Even so, I see a growing tendency amongst freelancers where they take things too personally and let things like this affect their emotional well-being too much.

I've always looked at freelancing as something you handle or you don't. If you're an emotional person who lets this sort of thing get the better of you, you will probably have difficulties handling the business world unless you "toughen up".

I don't mean this badly, but I've seen many freelancers come and go because they couldn't cope with the pressure, the bad days and horrible clients. 

There will be more bad clients down the road. Don't let yourself be affected too much by it. 😄

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 9
  • Congrats! 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, smashradio said:

This sure sounds like a terrible client. I don't envy you for having to deal with such people. I would have personally set the bar right then and there by explaining what's what (in a polite but very firm way). 

Your buyer sounds so unreasonable that I almost expect there was some form of miscommunication going on here. Perhaps they expected something entirely different? 

This is why I always repeat essential things and get their confirmation on things like deadlines. Some people are ignoramuses and need a bit of help understanding that 60 isn't the same as 2. 

I can see why you don't think this is fairly handled by Fiverr. But Fiverr is just a platform – a tool for us to use – and they allow us to use it as long as we follow their terms. They leave it to us, sellers and buyers, to handle things like this, just like we would have if we had our own office or brick-and-mortar store. The main difference is that Fiverr sometimes intervenes on our behalf, and it's not always fair. But then again, life isn't fair, and business certainly isn't. 

I often let potential clients off because their budget doesn't align with my rates. If they weren't willing to pay what you asked for, you could in hindsight, have explained that you don't think you'd be a great fit. People who try to push for lower rates – the Scrooge McDucks of this world – are usually not the type of buyers I want to be working with.

Regarding your emotional experience: I understand that dealing with this sort of buyer can be tough.

Even so, I see a growing tendency amongst freelancers where they take things too personally and let things like this affect their emotional well-being too much.

I've always looked at freelancing as something you handle or you don't. If you're an emotional person who lets this sort of thing get the better of you, you will probably have difficulties handling the business world unless you "toughen up".

I don't mean this badly, but I've seen many freelancers come and go because they couldn't cope with the pressure, the bad days and horrible clients. 

There will be more bad clients down the road. Don't let yourself be affected too much by it. 😄

Yeah, I noticed that sometimes I'm too focused on delivering good customer service, that I don't notice if the client understands everything from our communication at 100%. I understand that I've been too scrupulous with people who don't deserve it but hey, how can you tell if someone's completely ballistic unless they show their true colours from the first moment you interact with them? Hah...There is always something new to learn after each client, and certainly I learned that my rates are too low for what I offer. One of my clients said "Your rates are so low I was thinking of not contacting you..." Wow!

Fortunately, I've grown a pretty thick skin and don't see why I would give up the freelancing world...only that I need to place more gigs out there for better coverage haha! And about the bad clients...I just wish that we could use a vetting system to make sure those who allow themselves to overstep certain boundaries are not allowed on here. Do you think this would work?

Thanks again for your objective perspective and sharing it with me and the part of the world that exists in this space! 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, tarudeva762 said:

One of my clients said "Your rates are so low I was thinking of not contacting you..." Wow!

A lot of buyers will avoid the cheapest sellers because anyone serious about their business will know this: If it's too good to be true, it usually is. Good on you for increasing your rates! 

You can't always know for sure. I try to follow my gut. After years of freelancing, you start to "feel" when something is up. It could be the way a buyer phrases their requests (using things like "You must..." "You shall..." "I require..." and so on. Tell-tale signs of a needy person. 

I prefer my buyers with manners and will gently nudge anyone I think is too spicy in a different direction. 

You learn as you 😄 

• Like 7
  • Up 1

@smashradio has pretty much covered my thoughts on this and I wholeheartedly agree with every suggestion given.

One thing I would like to add (and forgive me if this has been covered already) is that if your projects are typically longer than a few days to a week, you'll want to check if the Buyer wants a progress report.

If they do, you'll want to agree to a plan on what you'll submit for that progress and when.

This specific buyer sounded like they saw you as an employee rather than a freelancer. This is a mental trap a lot people fall into when they hire freelancers. It's for this reason that you want to have all the expectations covered and laid out before the order starts. If they order directly, then you need to have a template plan ready to go and make sure they agree to it.

As a project manager in my day job, I can tell you that progress reporting is more about ensuring the end outcome turns out according to expectations. If something isn't going right, it's best to identify earlier rather than when the final deadline comes. For a person to badger you on day 2, I think it's completely unreasonable.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, yannisenglish said:

@smashradio has pretty much covered my thoughts on this and I wholeheartedly agree with every suggestion given.

As a project manager in my day job, I can tell you that progress reporting is more about ensuring the end outcome turns out according to expectations. If something isn't going right, it's best to identify earlier rather than when the final deadline comes. For a person to badger you on day 2, I think it's completely unreasonable.

I always update my buyers on progress every few days. That way, they know I'm working on it. So that's a great suggestion. 

If a buyer tried to pry with me like this, they would probably get an answer like: 

"I appreciate your point of view, but my personal life is my business. I can assure you that I'm working on your project and will deliver according to the agreed upon deadline."

I once had a buyer nagging me because it took more than ten minutes to get a response. He was bold enough to ask what I could possibly be doing that was more important than the project he had paid me to do. 

At the time, I was very new to all of this, so I told him, in all honesty, that I had to take a seriously intense crap, and asked him if he wanted to know more about my lavatory schedule. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3