Tip Jars - Do you have one?

creativeman

Guest eclients

Reply to @artworkking: I completely agree. If people are willing to pay… I don’t believe in that stuff but I’m sure many people do and if they are willing to give you money for typing nonsense good for you. At least I allow people to ‘get off’ for their $5. 🙂

Reply to @pixess: This is a copy from above

Sounds like a great idea to have it incorporated into the site. I wonder if they held back because they would take 20% commission on a tip which seems cheeky haha. I’m not sure how easy it would be to donate to a charity when your dealing with charities all over the world. - See more at: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/35390/tip-jars-do-you-have-one#Item_31

Hi everyone!

Let me share my “tip gig” story: I had installed a “tip gig” a while back and I received a tip almost the day after. It was from a customer that I had never worked for (at least I didn’t remember his name), but he specifically mentioned my username and was very positive in his review, so I gladly accepted and thanked for the tip.

The next day I receive more tips from the same user, with gig orders of up to 40$ each and communications that didn’t make much sense. He started ordering new “tip gigs” every day, but that’s when I realized (or suspected) that it was probably some poor user who’s account had been hacked and now someone else is trolling around with his money (obviously also at that point I researched his username, which confirmed that I never worked for him). I didn’t accept any of his new orders and instantly contacted customer support who did a fantastic job in handling this. They solved everything asap in order to prevent any negative implications and cancelled all these “fake orders”, once they looked into the matter and did all the necessary checks. The only downside was that of course my cancellation ratio did skyrocket, since each gig now was officially “cancelled”, but I think it never impacted sales, so that was fine with me. Funny enough, when I check my gig statistics now (hovering over the revenue part of the “tip gig”), the resulting number is negative revenue, since all the fake purchases of the presumed hacker are still calculated into the algorithm, but I also doubt that this will affect any of my sales.

That said, while I had a crazy start into the world of “tip gigs”, I definately recommend it. I wouldn’t rely on it for your business, but even a small tip every now and then eventually will add up to more income, but it’s also a motivator. In my case I also use my tip gig to tell a bit more about my life projects, so it’s also great to know that someone actually took the time to read what you’re currently up to.

Alright, too early for me to write all this without having a coffee, so that’s what I’m doing next (no, didn’t buy this one with the “coffee gig” money, but since I moved to Italy that coffee money definately comes in handy every now and then - love the coffee here) 🙂

Cheers!

Sal

Reply to @bestinmarket: Yes, the user did not really understand the purpose of my tip gig, and thought that I would tip another user on his behalf. I offered him to cancel the gig, so that he could use the money to order an ‘empty’ gig from the guy that helped him before. He appreciated my message, admitted his mistake and I offered me to drink a cup of coffee at his expense. 🙂

This is the Most expensive COFFEE i have ever received from a super cool buyer.

Original order was of $110 worth and he offer me this much coffee as he liked my work so much and thought it is this much worth of work.

• I got 60 Positive Reviews on Coffee gig which obviously helps increase my rating which is really a great bonus.

Tips/Coffee are always great! And you will get them only when you deliver some extraordinary work 🙂

I think this is a great way to let your buyers give you a little something extra. Some orders are painstakingly hard and requires extra amounts of work. So, tip jars help you receive what you deserve for that little extra you put in.

Of course I have a tipping gig as well. Since I’m a college student, I’ve titled it relatively.

Archived