Top 3 Reasons to Increase Your Gig Price Now! (Top Rated Seller Advice)

smashradio

Have you been thinking about raising your gig price, but you’re afraid of losing buyers? Here are some good reasons to up your game with a price increase. 

Earn more from fewer clients

If your Fiverr dashboard is filled with small orders for five bucks, you’re probably doing something wrong. Charging five dollars for anything is madness if you’re a professional. It doesn’t matter what you do. Five bucks aren’t even worth the time it takes to thank the buyer for their order. 

Besides, having tons of orders means you never have time to give your buyers proper attention. 

It might sound counterintuitive, but you should strive to get fewer orders. That way, you can deliver your best work every time and charge more for it! 

One order netting you 50 bucks for an hour of work is better than 5 dollars for 30 minutes. Remember: communicating with and understanding each order, chatting with buyers and responding to their requests is also work. 

Less drama!

My favorite reason to increase your rates. Are you struggling with bad buyers who seem to have lost their manners? Demanding ignoramuses who didn’t read your gig description? Then this is for you: 

High-paying buyers have a tendency to be easier to work with! Offer five-dollar gigs, and you’ll get the worst buyers Fiverr has to offer. If you’ve ever read Donald Duck, you know who Scrooge McDuck is. And you wouldn’t want to work with him, right?! 

Buyers who know what they want and have the budget to back it up will usually never purchase the cheapest gigs. They are looking for a great blend of quality and value for money. And since they aren’t paying “pennies” for some unprofessional gig, they are more likely to take their time, research your gig, and have a chat with you before ordering.

Adulting is expensive

A lot of sellers on Fiverr constantly worry about money. After all, we need food on the table. Raising your prices makes it easier to pay the bills each month (if you’re good at what you do, of course). Less stress benefits your health and clients since nothing can bring you out of the zone like a big pile of unpaid bills. 

You should also save money as a buffer. Ideally, it would be best to have savings that could last you for a year or more. If you only earn what you need right now, you’re doing it wrong. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 137
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 15

• smashradio changed the title to Top 3 Reasons to Increase Your Gig Price Now! (Top Rated Seller Advice)

Thank you for sharing this informative and motivating post. As someone who really hesitated to raise my prices until I reached Level 2 seller status, I'm finally enjoying balance, actually feeling rewarded for my hard work and efforts. It has been interesting though...Some potential buyers have mocked me for my updated prices, but I'm glad I don't have to work with them anyway haha. Whereas my regulars have no problem with my new prices because they know the value of my work. 

• Like 93
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 10

Yes! totally agree with you. 

Doing small, low quality work is a waste of time. 

First we have to be professional and an expert in the field we are serving. A quality work will always paid well and will attract professional clients who are easy to work with. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 81
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

I am a bit worried for this as a newbie seller doing art commissions. Everyone says if you are starting out on Fiverr you should lower your price. But artists always say, never lower your price! Someone giving me advice even told me they would pay $100 for my art if I keep practicing and I feel very honored. Though as a newbie, will people buy your stuff with the high prices, or will it turn people away? I set prices for what I am comfortable with, but idk if anyone will order from me because I am a newbie with high prices. 

• Like 78
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 5

@nomuffinsforyou
Being a very new seller and having no portfolio or good reviews, charging $200 for an art could be something tricky and is going to definitely turn the buyers away because being a buyer none of us would place order with that seller, right? 
Increasing the price only makes sense when you are at a good stage means having good reviews, a very good portfolio and that's what @smashradiosaid. You can increase your prices once you're good to add value and can show that to your buyers as well. 

• Like 75
  • Confused 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, animie_video said:

Being a very new seller and having no portfolio or good reviews, charging $200 for an art could be something tricky and is going to definitely turn the buyers away because being a buyer none of us would place order with that seller, right? 

I have a portfolio, but I can't put my portfolio because I'm not a high enough level seller to do so :') But no good reviews is understandable. My art is going to be less than $100 for a full color, but I kept asking around and I got mixed results from other people's opinion ranging from $30-$200. So that is why I am very confused on how to price my gigs. 

• Like 71
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 6

14 hours ago, smashradio said:

Adulting is expensive

Back when I lived in Hungary (out of my parents' house, even) adulting seemed cheap. And then I moved out and realized that realistically, what I charged couldn't support me, especially not in a Northern country. Of course, I COULD in theory take on MORE work, but writing (and art in general) doesn't always work that way! 
So I've started upping my prices gradually. 

It's... great to earn more and feel like my work is worth MORE. 

Of course, there'll always be annoying clients trying to barter (and sometimes I will give in) but they seem to be more and more rare. However, what I do notice is that sometimes they are ruder than the ones I've had prior (which, to be fair, makes it good riddance!) 

I'm actually preparing to raise my prices before going off to Paris in a few weeks (aiming it this way so that if I happen to have a slow period, it'll be when I'm away!) 

• Like 76
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for sharing this. I am new to Fiverr but not new to freelancing. I totally agree with you on this. I was careful not to charge my exact worth (I didn't charge too low too) but I think it's better to charge my worth and get just the clients that know the value of good ghostwriting.

• Like 75
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, kasuncolombo said:

First we have to be professional and an expert in the field we are serving.

You can be great at what you do and charge less than others. Charging less doesn't make you less professional.

It also depends on where you live. Overall living costs are one thing in the US, another in Eastern Europe and yet another thing in India for example. 

• Like 77
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, animie_video said:

@nomuffinsforyou
Increasing the price only makes sense when you are at a good stage means having good reviews, a very good portfolio and that's what @smashradiosaid. You can increase your prices once you're good to add value and can show that to your buyers as well. 

Even so, you should never sell anything for five bucks. Not even if it's your first day. 

But charging 200 might be a bit much. Depends on the service. I just ordered a video for 60 from a seller with just one review. But they had a nice portfolio, great gig description, and clearly know what they are doing. 

So you can get nice orders, even if you're a new seller. But you need to take great care of your gig first and have the expertise to back it up already. 

12 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

I have a portfolio, but I can't put my portfolio because I'm not a high enough level seller to do so :') 

You can create a gig video and showcase content from your portfolio in that video. 🙂 

5 hours ago, katakatica said:

Of course, there'll always be annoying clients trying to barter (and sometimes I will give in) but they seem to be more and more rare. However, what I do notice is that sometimes they are ruder than the ones I've had prior (which, to be fair, makes it good riddance!) 

Exactly. The cheapskates of this world are usually rude and not very fun to work with. So if they don't like my prices, I'm happy to send them on their merry way. 

5 hours ago, katakatica said:

I'm actually preparing to raise my prices before going off to Paris in a few weeks (aiming it this way so that if I happen to have a slow period, it'll be when I'm away!) 

Tactical! I like it!

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 75
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Even so, you should never sell anything for five bucks. Not even if it's your first day. 

It depends on location and other factors. Prices in the US are different when compared to Asia or other regions. 

That being said, it also depends on categories. A video will take more time and effort when compared to an article. And in my case, for writers.... many people just go straight to the US sellers, so you can't really overprice yourself that much as a non-US writer. Even if you have the accolades, people will just choose "native" writers because they feel they are superior. 

So, increasing prices is great, but in some cases it can be very hard to do so without pricing yourself out of the market 🙂 It does vary quite a lot depending on your niche. Or you can increase prices and maybe you are lucky.. who knows 🙂 Experimentation is key.

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 75
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

You can be great at what you do and charge less than others. Charging less doesn't make you less professional.

It also depends on where you live. Overall living costs are one thing in the US, another in Eastern Europe and yet another thing in India for example. 

You can. I charge less than many other sellers in my niche, yet I am (and I don't mean to brag) one of the more professional sellers in the categories I sell in. But it can affect perceptions. It can make you look less professional. So that's something to keep in mind when you price your services. 

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

That's a fair point. I'm a good example of this. I work in the Norwegian market, but since I live in Spain, I can maintain a lower price point. This is true in all markets; you can outsource to low-cost-countries and save money. Then again, you have to consider things like language barriers, cultural differences that can affect the sellers understanding of your audience and so on. This in turn, can affect turnaround-times due to revisions or spending time explaining concepts to the seller. 

Time is money, so if you factor in the two added hours you spent explaining something to a seller that would be basic common sense in your own country, you've probably paid a similar price in terms of worth. 

My point being: Yes, you can get high quality at low cost. But it might take more time and effort to get it, identify which sellers are the right ones for you, and work around issues that might arise during the project. 

• Like 72
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

A video will take more time and effort when compared to an article. 

How so? If I spend four days researching, writing, re-writing, and proofing a high-quality long-form article on a difficult subject, how is that less time and effort, compared to a video edited with some transitions from stock photo that took an hour to collect? I'm not saying all projects is like this, and it's just an example. Each project is different, so I'm just curious as to how you reached that conclusion? 

• Like 73
  • Up 1

11 minutes ago, smashradio said:

If I spend four days researching, writing, re-writing, and proofing a high-quality long-form article on a difficult subject, how is that less time and effort, compared to a video edited with some transitions from stock photo that took an hour to collect? I

Well maybe the article is simple. I wouldn't spend 4 days for an article on Fiverr, just to risk having it canceled. I was burned way too many times 🙂

Your opinion is based on the idea that the article is complex and the video is simple. Generally video editing is very time-consuming, whereas if you are a talented writer, you can write even longer articles very fast. Again, my opinion. It was just an example, the idea is that some niches warrant higher prices, as you saw they are limiting website creation to be at least $80. They can't do that for articles, for example. 

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 71
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Well maybe the article is simple. I wouldn't spend 4 days for an article on Fiverr, just to risk having it canceled. I was burned way too many times 🙂

Your opinion is based on the idea that the article is complex and the video is simple. Generally video editing is very time-consuming, whereas if you are a talented writer, you can write even longer articles very fast. Again, my opinion. It was just an example, the idea is that some niches warrant higher prices, as you saw they are limiting website creation to be at least $80. They can't do that for articles, for example. 

I see. 

"Your opinion is based on the idea that the article is complex and the video is simple."

Exactly. And that's my point. Every project is different. That's why I don't think we can conclude that video editing should cost more than writing or vice versa. It depends on the video and it depends on the article. 

I know editing can be time-consuming. I've done a lot of it over the years, just never sold that service since I've done it out of necessity at my own projects, and not because I love doing it. 

I think we could have a lower limit on articles as well. But naturally, some projects can generally take longer. 

I do understand your point, though, and right now I'm just being a nitpicking, rambling muttonhead. But like I said: I was curious. 😂

• Like 75
  • Up 1

• 3 months later...

Yes, I agree with the mentioned points. Top quality products always come with a price so give them a proper value but make sure you maintain the same quality. Be professional.

If you are a new seller to Fiverr and looking for orders study other's gigs in the same category and post a competitive price to get a few orders and build from there.

• Like 60
  • Confused 3

On 6/6/2022 at 11:57 PM, smashradio said:

Have you been thinking about raising your gig price, but you’re afraid of losing buyers? Here are some good reasons to up your game with a price increase. 

Earn more from fewer clients

If your Fiverr dashboard is filled with small orders for five bucks, you’re probably doing something wrong. Charging five dollars for anything is madness if you’re a professional. It doesn’t matter what you do. Five bucks aren’t even worth the time it takes to thank the buyer for their order. 

Besides, having tons of orders means you never have time to give your buyers proper attention. 

It might sound counterintuitive, but you should strive to get fewer orders. That way, you can deliver your best work every time and charge more for it! 

One order netting you 50 bucks for an hour of work is better than 5 dollars for 30 minutes. Remember: communicating with and understanding each order, chatting with buyers and responding to their requests is also work. 

Less drama!

My favorite reason to increase your rates. Are you struggling with bad buyers who seem to have lost their manners? Demanding ignoramuses who didn’t read your gig description? Then this is for you: 

High-paying buyers have a tendency to be easier to work with! Offer five-dollar gigs, and you’ll get the worst buyers Fiverr has to offer. If you’ve ever read Donald Duck, you know who Scrooge McDuck is. And you wouldn’t want to work with him, right?! 

Buyers who know what they want and have the budget to back it up will usually never purchase the cheapest gigs. They are looking for a great blend of quality and value for money. And since they aren’t paying “pennies” for some unprofessional gig, they are more likely to take their time, research your gig, and have a chat with you before ordering.

Adulting is expensive

A lot of sellers on Fiverr constantly worry about money. After all, we need food on the table. Raising your prices makes it easier to pay the bills each month (if you’re good at what you do, of course). Less stress benefits your health and clients since nothing can bring you out of the zone like a big pile of unpaid bills. 

You should also save money as a buffer. Ideally, it would be best to have savings that could last you for a year or more. If you only earn what you need right now, you’re doing it wrong. 

Alot of valuable points here. The communication and attention the buyer needs (some muuuch more than others) is one big part of freelancing that is often overlooked. 
Having to work on less gigs means being able to offer higher quality services. 😎 As they say, Quality over Quantity. 

• Like 56
  • Confused 3