Fiverr Clients "tempting" me to contact them on Telegram!

Hello everyone,

I am a new Fiverr Seller, and I just created my first Gig yesterday. After a couple of hours or so, I received a message from a shady account telling me about a mind-boggling opportunity to work as a typist and make some EASY money; however, I immediately questioned the genuineness of the person contacting me. I mean, money does not come and knock on your door that easy! right?

The first thing I did was to look online for similar cases and stories, and surely I found a lot. At this point, I was 100% sure it was a scam, and little did I know, that message was NOT the last one I will get of a similar type, not even intermittently or something; I have received like 15 messages so far (one while writing this very thread).

Given that I know this is absolutely a scam, my question is why are they doing it and what do they aim for? and What is so special about Telegram that makes it the "abode of scammers"?

Thank you,

• Like 26
  • Up 2

I don't know the answers to your questions but I will say that the sheer volume of scam messages, posts and buyer requests these days is exhausting. It's everywhere on all the platforms I use. I swear I see/receive more scam/spam than actually valid posts or interest in my gigs.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, th3ruler said:

mind-boggling opportunity 

If something is too good to be true, it usually is. 

why are they doing it and what do they aim for? 

It could be several things, like stealing your personal information or tricking you to make transfers (think paying the "bank fee" with a credit card so they can transfer the project payment to you), or it could be a simple matter of getting gullible people to work for free. Most likely, it's the first. These scammers are often seen in the voice over industry as well. I have plenty of invites to voice a "game show" in my inbox. Always the same scam. 

What is so special about Telegram that makes it the "abode of scammers"?

Telegram is a secure messaging app. Everything gets encrypted, meaning it's a great platform for shady business. 

P.S. Make sure you report the spammers to Fiverr, using the Report button in your inbox (not the spam-button but the report-button). That way, we can make life a little bit more difficult for these bottom-feeders. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 21
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, poshlulla said:

I don't know the answers to your questions but I will say that the sheer volume of scam messages, posts and buyer requests these days is exhausting. It's everywhere on all the platforms I use. I swear I see/receive more scam/spam than actually valid posts or interest in my gigs.

That's how I feel right now. I received 0% valid messages so far and 100% scam ones; this is very discouraging.

• Like 18
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

If something is too good to be true, it usually is. 

It could be several things, like stealing your personal information or tricking you to make transfers (think paying the "bank fee" with a credit card so they can transfer the project payment to you), or it could be a simple matter of getting gullible people to work for free. Most likely, it's the first. These scammers are often seen in the voice over industry as well. I have plenty of invites to voice a "game show" in my inbox. Always the same scam. 

Telegram is a secure messaging app. Everything gets encrypted, meaning it's a great platform for shady business. 

P.S. Make sure you report the spammers to Fiverr, using the Report button in your inbox (not the spam-button but the report-button). That way, we can make life a little bit more difficult for these bottom-feeders. 

I get it now, and I will surely report them anytime I receive a scam message. Thank you for taking the time and explaining.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

There are some legit buyers wanting to contact sellers directly. I can divide the "let's talk outside the platform" in 4 broad groups:

1) I've had many buyers give me their wh*tsap* number, unprompted, just to have a line of communication. I tell them I keep the conversation on Fiverr, and they move forward with the order anyway, and everything's good.

2) Same situation, but they just end up not going forward - not because they are playing any tricks, but because they really want to just be able to call whenever, and they don't want to be limited to communicating on the platform. How do I know they're serious? Because they are actual companies, they have real products, social presence, etc. They would have no reason to be scamming people, and their time is valuable.

3) Buyers that actually want to spend, but want to do business outside the platform for whatever reason. Dropping the price due to no commission, more flexibility in terms of payment (retainer work, fixed positions on a salary, hourly rates, upfront payments, etc. - these are all useful, common practices in business, but unfortunately not supported by Fiverr), etc.

4) Scammers. 

Telegram, though? Telegram is scam central.

• Like 18
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, th3ruler said:

Given that I know this is absolutely a scam, my question is why are they doing it and what do they aim for? and What is so special about Telegram that makes it the "abode of scammers"?

They can delete the whole conversation and deny it ever took place. it is scam central.

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2022 at 10:16 PM, th3ruler said:

Hello everyone,

I am a new Fiverr Seller, and I just created my first Gig yesterday. After a couple of hours or so, I received a message from a shady account telling me about a mind-boggling opportunity to work as a typist and make some EASY money; however, I immediately questioned the genuineness of the person contacting me. I mean, money does not come and knock on your door that easy! right?

The first thing I did was to look online for similar cases and stories, and surely I found a lot. At this point, I was 100% sure it was a scam, and little did I know, that message was NOT the last one I will get of a similar type, not even intermittently or something; I have received like 15 messages so far (one while writing this very thread).

Thank you,

WOW.... You create a gig and after few hours you where contact... Congratulations... Kindly put me through how to write a converting gig please 

• Like 13

Actually i have observed that also. It seems there are so many fake accounts are scaming in fiverr now to brag some money from the sellers. It's totally illegal to outside of the fiverr to discuss and deal with clients. If you will be sufferer there then you have nothing to do that time. So its wise not to outside of the fiverr. Thank you

• Like 4

On 6/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, th3ruler said:

I find this interesting, I have been 'out of the game' (my own game, not your's, I don't know you and you don't know me, please do not assume to know what I mean here) for quite some time, but from a security standpoint Telegram is a threat. I have not looked into it, and I don't plan to, but I would advise you or anyone else to recognize that:

When you see something new, question it. When someone new presents something to you, question it. When you find yourself explaining something new to someone, question it. When you see something new, from someone new, that you have to explain to someone new, question it. When you see something new, brought to you by someone you know, question both the person who brought it to you, and the thing itself.

As far as answering your questions, "why are they doing it and what do they aim for?" They simply wish to increase their money, influence, and power.

As far as answering your questions, "What is so special about Telegram?" It is simply a mechanism, from which they have found their own tactics, or the tactics of those whom they revere, as effective.

Edited by atawin
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I opened my account yesterday and already received two such messages with ROSY path to make EASY money!. I was 99% sure this is some kind of spam/scam but wanted to check on google and thats how I landed here. Thank you all for sharing your valuable feedbacks so that the newbees can take precaution.

• Like 3