Buyer is being very passive-agressive and ordered after I told her I was not interested on the work

zenter

Question

Okay so here's the issue, a customer sent me a very rare briefing of the work she wants made. She wants a song to sound (and I'm quoting) "underwater, magical and otherwordly", I asked her about that, to explain me what she meant witht those words and she just started texting me things like "I want you to make a beat using your criteria with the info I gave you, and you don't need more info than this one", she then sent me this message after I asked a couple of questions about the song: "Is this a project that you would like to work on and not fake negs me and make me jumb through emotional hoops you would not do with anyone else?". I don't know why she is at such a defensive position, I never treated her badly. 

After that message I just decided not to work with her and politely told her that I appreciated her approach to me but I didn't feel confident to work on her project. 

Literally a minute after I answer she places the order, she fills the requirements with the same message of the beginning (the "underwater, magical, otherwordly" stuff) and ends it with this phrase "take all this information and produce something you're proud of for a paying client please and thank you". 

To be honest, I had little desire to take the job, now I just don't want to do it. But I don't want to cancel either since the last order I had to cancel brought me a lot of problems (my stats dropped to almost 0 for like a month, I only survived thanks to the returning customers). 

What do you guys advice me to do in this situation? I feel like whatever I make for her she won't like it and will try me to make infinite changes, I also fear to have a very bad rate in case that happens and I decide to stop working in the song. 

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading. Have a good day! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2

3 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, zenter said:

underwater, magical and otherwordly

I feel your pain. I once had a voice over client who did the same. Stupid instructions when not put into context. 

If you don't cancel it, you have to deliver it. There's no good solution to this, I'm afraid. You risk getting a negative review if you deliver (most likely, you will get one by the looks of it!) and if you cancel, your cancellation stats will take a hit. 

BUT... You did explain to the buyer in your inbox that you didn't want to take this job. You clearly stated so, from the looks of it. 

So, if I were you, I'd reach out to support, explain the situation, and that the buyer is passive agressive and makes you feel very uncomfortable. 

Support can cancel the order for you without it affecting your stats. They don't always do so, but it's worth a shot! It's your best option at the moment, in my opinion. 

No matter what, you should block the buyer as soon as your order is cancelled. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 3
  • Up 3

10 minutes ago, smashradio said:

I feel your pain. I once had a voice over client who did the same. Stupid instructions when not put into context. 

If you don't cancel it, you have to deliver it. There's no good solution to this, I'm afraid. You risk getting a negative review if you deliver (most likely, you will get one by the looks of it!) and if you cancel, your cancellation stats will take a hit. 

BUT... You did explain to the buyer in your inbox that you didn't want to take this job. You clearly stated so, from the looks of it. 

So, if I were you, I'd reach out to support, explain the situation, and that the buyer is passive agressive and makes you feel very uncomfortable. 

Support can cancel the order for you without it affecting your stats. They don't always do so, but it's worth a shot! It's your best option at the moment, in my opinion. 

No matter what, you should block the buyer as soon as your order is cancelled. 

Thank you, I just submitted a ticket to CS and I'm hoping for them to solve the issue. Thank you for sharing your experience and your advice!

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1

I agree with smashradio. You need to cancel this and I so hope customer support can see your predicament. This is a buyer who is setting you up for failure by refusing to provide an adequate brief! Given the lack of a brief and this buyer's terrible attitude, you have no hope of a successful completion. 

I would not even call it 'passive aggressive'. It's simply entitled and aggressive--nothing passive about this buyer! 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1