Jump to content

How to cancel an order, I can't complete?


Recommended Posts

A buyer asked me to merge 2 apps together, theoretically it's possible and not a hard task, so I send him a custom order and everything was fine. 

When I tried to merge the two apps, I found many technical problems that make it almost impossible to merge them together.

I tried my best, but every time I solve a bug, I find another, I have been working on it the whole day, and the due date is tomorrow. 

I tried to contact my buyer to tell him that, but he didn't show up. 

What should I do? And how do I avoid that next time? 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

What should I do?

If you wish to cancel the order, you can visit the Resolution Center inside the order and request a cancellation from there. Your completion rate will take a hit, but since you can't complete the job properly, it's the right thing to do. The buyer shouldn't have to pay for something if you can't deliver the goods. 

The buyer will get a few days to accept or decline your request. 

20 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

And how do I avoid that next time? 

Take a close look at what you're promising on your gig. Make sure everything is true and don't misrepresent your skills. 

Specify in your gig description (preferably somewhere close to the top) that you require buyers to contact you before placing an order. 

Specifically in your situation, it was a custom offer. In any case, you should always do some research before you start. Ask for the files (in this case, the apk's) and examine them before sending your custom offer. Make sure it's doable first, then send the offer. 

 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 6
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, smashradio said:

If you wish to cancel the order, you can visit the Resolution Center inside the order and request a cancellation from there. Your completion rate will take a hit, but since you can't complete the job properly, it's the right thing to do. The buyer shouldn't have to pay for something if you can't deliver the goods. 

The buyer will get a few days to accept or decline your request. . 

 

what about mutual cancelation, will it still affect my rate?

 

 

42 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Take a close look at what you're promising on your gig. Make sure everything is true and don't misrepresent your skills. 

Specify in your gig description (preferably somewhere close to the top) that you require buyers to contact you before placing an order. 

Specifically in your situation, it was a custom offer. In any case, you should always do some research before you start. Ask for the files (in this case, the apk's) and examine them before sending your custom offer. Make sure it's doable first, then send the offer. 

 

I can't agree more, but the problem in the progamming field some problems you don't find out until I work on the project.
so I don't really know how to avoid that, solving every problem before sending an offer seems impossible too

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

what about mutual cancelation, will it still affect my rate?

Yes, even if it's mutual, it will affect your rate. 

24 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

I can't agree more, but the problem in the progamming field some problems you don't find out until I work on the project.
so I don't really know how to avoid that, solving every problem before sending an offer seems impossible too

I know. It's not the perfect solution, but vetting the buyer and project before starting will at least mitigate some of the risk. Even so, projects can come along from time to time that we just aren't able to deliver on. In those cases, the right thing to do is to explain the situation to the client, apologize for the inconvenience, and cancel the order. 

  • Like 5
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

Then what is the difference?

There is none. A cancellation is a cancellation. The only way to get around this, is if customer support thinks the order should be cancelled at no fault of yours. For example, I had a buyer who disappeared in the middle of an order. I tried to reach out to them multiple times for almost two months before I asked support to cancel the order. They did, and it didn't affect my stats, since it wasn't my fault and I had did everything that could be asked of me. 

In your case, that wouldn't work, since the reason for the cancellation is that you can't come up with the goods. 

9 minutes ago, bassemomar752 said:

And should I wait for the buyer to reply? Or it's better to cancel now? 

You can write your reason for wishing to cancel in your cancellation request. I see no reason why you should waste your buyers' time with sending a message, waiting for a response, and then sending the cancellation request. 

Explain in a professional and polite manner that you're unable do this because of *insert reasons here*. Since you're not able to do it, you'd like to offer them a full refund. Wish them the best of luck with their project, and thank them for the oppurtinity. Don't forget to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused them as well. 

A polite and professional request can go a long way in easing the process - just in case the buyer gets mad at you for cancelling. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, smashradio said:

A polite and professional request can go a long way in easing the process - just in case the buyer gets mad at you for cancelling. 

what happens if he refused to cancel?

and thank you very much for your detailed answers

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, bassemomar752 said:

what happens if he refused to cancel?

and thank you very much for your detailed answers

Then your next step would be talking to customer support. But I never had this happen to me. In the very rare cases that I have to cancel because I can't do the job, the buyer is more interested in getting their money back than forcing someone who can't do the job to do it anyway. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...