Customer asks to message to private email, is this normal? A scammer?

squirrelyfreela

Question

Hello all, I am new here (24 hours new) and I know that some scammers do crazy things. I thought all communication and money movement was on Fiverr. What do you all suggest I do? Do you think the person is a scammer?

This message I received said they are hiring for a large project and need to hire for what I am doing and to contact them at XYZ email for more details if I want the job. 

Thank you to anyone and all who can advise me today. 

• Like 10
  • Up 2

8 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, squirrelyfreela said:

I thought all communication and money movement was on Fiverr.

• To protect our users' privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.
  • You may not offer direct payments to Sellers using payment systems outside of the Fiverr platform.
  • The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.
  • To violate the Terms of Service is to risk your account.
  • Like 6
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, squirrelyfreela said:

I thought all communication and money movement was on Fiverr.

It is.

This message I received said they are hiring for a large project and need to hire for what I am doing and to contact them at XYZ email for more details if I want the job. 

That's a common scam, often directed at new sellers.

What do you all suggest I do?

If you just ignore the message, your metrics will be affected, so you might want to respond within 24 hours. You can politely tell that person that, as per Fiverr's Terms of Service, all the communication and materials exchange has to go through Fiverr, and then report that message and block them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3