What is the process of becoming a seller on Fiverr as a minor?

I am 17 years old. I would like to edit videos and sell my work to people online, but I have one issue that has been bugging me. As a minor, what are the steps that I legally have to take in order to start selling? I've gotten to the "publish" section on Fiverr and it requires me to sign a W9 form. Must I notify my legal guardians about this form and have them fill it out for me? Can I do it myself or is that a bad idea? I am afraid of the possible consequences of me filling out a tax form if there are any.

I'd appreciate the help as a young man with no experience in such things.

• Like 11
  • Up 1

Fiverr’s Terms of Service require that all users be at least 18 years of age and of legal age to form a binding contract. Users under 18 and at least 13 years of age are permitted to use the site only through an account owned by their parent or legal guardian with their appropriate permission. Users under the age of 13 are not permitted to use the site.

The above is from the Help Centre.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, lloydsolutions said:

The above is from the Help Centre.

The edit time window has expired re the above reply.

The above reply refers to getting paid from Fiverr so you need to involve your legal guardians.

Check this out: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011135837-W-9-Collection

There is a contact us icon at the bottom of the article if you require further help.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dragonrings said:

I am 17 years old. I would like to edit videos and sell my work to people online, but I have one issue that has been bugging me. As a minor, what are the steps that I legally have to take in order to start selling? I've gotten to the "publish" section on Fiverr and it requires me to sign a W9 form. Must I notify my legal guardians about this form and have them fill it out for me? Can I do it myself or is that a bad idea? I am afraid of the possible consequences of me filling out a tax form if there are any.

I'd appreciate the help as a young man with no experience in such things.

Adulting can be scary stuff. You're into that territory now. Piggybacking on what @lloydsolutions explained above, I'd like to add that if you're going into business (doesn't really matter what kind of business) you need the skills to do so. I assume you already know your editing, but business is about so much more than that.

It's about managing your income, communication with disgruntled clients, handling brutal feedback and getting a virtual kick in the nuts every now and then. It's about feeling down, feeling awesome, and everything in between. 

Even though you're nearly an adult at 17, I remember struggling with these things for years after I turned 18. Still do, sometimes. 

All of this can be daunting as a teen with ambitions. So use your parents and family or someone you trust for all they're worth! It's a shame that these things aren't taught in schools, really. In school, everyone is a "winner" and you get a medal for participating. You learn little of the realities you'll face as an adult, including how to take care of taxes, doing business, doing a hard days work, sitting up at your computer with a migraine until 3 am because a client project has to be done by the morning. 

You get the picture. It's tough. So don't try to go this alone. Ingest all the knowledge you can from those close to you. Ask for help. And by help, I don't mean to ask someone to do stuff for you, but to teach you how to do it yourself. 

I think it's awesome to see teens wanting to go into freelancing. Who want to earn money and do something constructive with their time. So don't let this put you off the idea - but let it sink in. Even adults need support. 

Keep doing what you're doing! 😄 

• Like 7
  • Up 1