Hyping up June - what are you looking forward to doing this month?

katakatica

I know it's late, I was busy with my birthday last weekend and then... work happened! But... it's almost tradition now and with the summer here, I'm hoping for some fun answers! So, what's happening in June that has you excited/giddy? 

I'll start (as always.)

For small things: I found a recipe for a curry we have in restaurants a lot - this week I'll try cooking it from scratch. Ah, and I got my coldbrew tea bottle from my old place, so I am looking forward to coldbrewing tea/coffee!

(it's technically also a thing but I also downloaded the old Chip'n Dale game (for the NES) and I'm about to beat it... dropping it here to kickstart the conversation about games ha!)

As for big things... (drumroll!)

i'm taking a whole week off for Midsummer (which, by the way, means everything is closed here, apparently, I learned something new this week!) and then... leaving for Paris! It'll only be a few days but I can't wait to go back 'home' (and go to Disney for the second time in two years! (July has more fun stuff planned, like London, watching Hamilton but... JUNE IS PARIS!)

So yeah...

Are you going somewhere fun? Are you just going to rest by the water back at home? (or work for hours on no end?) 

• Like 12

Haven't planned much for june. Perhaps I'll get cracking on my new home theater space. The room is just sitting there, so I'm eager to get going. 

Hopefully it will be something similar to this, when it's done. At least, that's the inspiration. I'm renting, so I'm a bit limited on what I can do with the space. But a man with a plan is a man that can, so I just have to get creative!

LG Tips Extreme Home Cinema LED Wall for Home Theaters (If You Can Afford  It) | PCMag

Sometime this summer, we'll go to Madrid to get a passport for our 8 month old son. Have to do that at the embassy. It's gonna feel great to get that out of the way, considering it took 7 months (!) just to get his social security number from Norway due to him being born in Spain. During that time, the boy was officially "stateless". Get a kid, they said. It'll be fun, they said. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1

5 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

Noooo this month I have to study for exams until the end of the month ;-; I am here because I'm procrastinating hehehe :3c 

Good luck on your exams! I don't miss studying to be honest (though I'm learning languges, it's nowhere near as bad as exams used to be!)

Do you plan to do anything in July? Maybe hit the beach? 

5 hours ago, smashradio said:

It's gonna feel great to get that out of the way, considering it took 7 months (!) just to get his social security number from Norway due to him being born in Spain. During that time, the boy was officially "stateless". Get a kid, they said. It'll be fun, they said. 

As an expat... I can relate to this. Getting everything sorted here has been a nighmare (and still not done! AND I'm an adult! with all of my papers already sorted out!) Hope you manage to have some fun in Madrid, though! 

As for the cinema room though, that looks awesome! I'd love a cosy room for reading/movies (though the living room is pretty nice luckily. With most of the rain (hopefully) gone I hope to be outside a bit more though because I fear it'll go back to winter very quickly!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Good luck on your exams! I don't miss studying to be honest (though I'm learning languges, it's nowhere near as bad as exams used to be!)

As an expat... I can relate to this. Getting everything sorted here has been a nighmare (and still not done! AND I'm an adult! with all of my papers already sorted out!) Hope you manage to have some fun in Madrid, though! 

As for the cinema room though, that looks awesome! I'd love a cosy room for reading/movies (though the living room is pretty nice luckily. With most of the rain (hopefully) gone I hope to be outside a bit more though because I fear it'll go back to winter very quickly!

Did you live in Sweden at the moment? (Don't blame me if that was someone else, I'm like a gold fish!)

I would think the scandinavian countries to be rather effecient with that type of thing, given that almost everything is sorted online. Spain is a bureaucratic nightmare. 

Someone made this short film, to illustrate, and the worst part is, it's not far from the actual situation when you try to deal with anything in the public system in Spain. (Also fun: it's about registering as a freelancer). 

So I was surprised that the Norwegian system could be this slow. Maybe they do everything a bit slower when you're in Spain, thinking you're used to it already. 😂

• Like 4
  • Up 1

22 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Did you live in Sweden at the moment? (Don't blame me if that was someone else, I'm like a gold fish!)

No no, you've got it right! I feel like part of it is the fact that I'm moving from Hungary (and also, a lot of things are very different here, though they ARE digitalised.) 

I had to get a blood test done in the hospital like, three weeks back and they just... never called back about the results. I'd have tried contacting them, but it took me five days to get an appointment (so basically, it's tricky until you're all settled in. After that it WILL be much easier.) Will try to go back in soon though (I'm hoping it was just all the public holidays/etc. going on.)

It's definitely weird when Nordic countries lag behind though. Everything else is so modern so it's kind of odd!

(well, everything but the karaoke bar we went to. We had to go through actual BOOKS for the songs we wanted to sing. Crazy!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, smashradio said:

No no, you've got it right! I feel like part of it is the fact that I'm moving from Hungary (and also, a lot of things are very different here, though they ARE digitalised.) 

I had to get a blood test done in the hospital like, three weeks back and they just... never called back about the results. I'd have tried contacting them, but it took me five days to get an appointment (so basically, it's tricky until you're all settled in. After that it WILL be much easier.) Will try to go back in soon though (I'm hoping it was just all the public holidays/etc. going on.)

It's definitely weird when Nordic countries lag behind though. Everything else is so modern so it's kind of odd!

(well, everything but the karaoke bar we went to. We had to go through actual BOOKS for the songs we wanted to sing. Crazy!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1

6 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I had to get a blood test done in the hospital like, three weeks back and they just... never called back about the results. 

Actually, the health care system  in the nordics is viewed by others to be great. It's "free" and "modern". 

Yet, that's one of the systems in Spain I prefer over the nordic system. 

I'm just glad we don't have to suffer under the US system. 

"Oh, did you break your leg? Shall I call an ambulance?"

"No thanks. I can't afford the ambulance."

• Like 6

3 hours ago, smashradio said:

Actually, the health care system  in the nordics is viewed by others to be great. It's "free" and "modern". 

See, it's been very... quick and easy once I actually had the appointment, but it IS quite 'cold' (though I realise a lot of that is cultural.) 

But... I totally agree. I'm VERY glad that if something scary happens, I CAN get help and not end up in debt that will ruin me. (which, by the way, is just heartbreaking.)

• Like 5

15 hours ago, katakatica said:

For small things: I found a recipe for a curry we have in restaurants a lot - this week I'll try cooking it from scratch. Ah, and I got my coldbrew tea bottle from my old place, so I am looking forward to coldbrewing tea/coffee!

Sounds yummy! 😋

15 hours ago, katakatica said:

and then... leaving for Paris!

How exciting, I hope your trip there will be fun!

As for me, I’m graduating high school soon, so that’s exciting. I’ll also continue working on my digital artworks and start writing my own stories after my graduation. Not much else, I don’t think. 😅😆

• Like 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, katakatica said:

Thank you 🙂 I think I already wrote on the forum here that I want to start doing art commissions on July and I'm super super excited! But you mentioned the beach, I asked my parents if we could go to the beach and they said yes so yaaaay I'm going to the beach too 😄 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

I have finished a big project last month. Now its time to relax. Im not planning to take on big projects untill the end of summer. (Unless something juicy hops on my lap)

2 weeks ago i have started boxing again. ( ı had taken a break when pandemic started) Not for fighting, but as a training excersice. The place im going there is full of career guys and husbands, so we are kinda old to start that kind of action. We are all going to work tomorrow, so we are not trashing each other. But breaking a lot of sweat. And its fun too! I allways liked doing physical activities. Boxing is both a great excersice and very fun to practice.

I am a bulky guy, i'd like to believe im strong too. Some comes from my past swimming/boxing experiences, some are lucky genes. But Let me tell you, you cannot match a persons energy, reflexes and speed if they are 10 years younger than you. So fighting is not an option if i dont want an absolute defeat 😄 Its like Mountain vs Oberyn Martell from game of thrones. But mountain is unable to catch the Oberyn's head. 😄 

Other than that, my cats occupyng my garden are all grown up now, i think they are about to leave.(we kinda have this open relationship, they come and go as they like, and i feed them daily for the price of some cute meows and elimination of the pests) So when they leave, i will set up my chair in the front yard, have something cold to drink and die in the scorching sunlight.(I am unusually pale for the country i live in, Turkey. So i live like a vampire mostly)

So you can say, i have taken a break from drawing for projects to get punched in the stomach and getting incinerated by the sun. That is my summer plan. OH, and i have a birthday coming in two weeks, i think i will have some beers that day.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1