How do I send someone a tip ?

toby_penruddock

You can only provide a tip on orders that have been delivered and that you have left a positive review on.

If you want to tip for a "small favor," which I'm assuming you mean "additional work," you'll need to place a new order or add a gig extra to an open order.

The Help Center provides more details on how you can tip your seller:

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360049982453-How-do-I-tip-my-seller

image.thumb.png.ea25f96354c6da3e1a01ae0ec212dce9.png

• Like 14

A bit off-topic if the question indeed is about how to leave someone money without an existing order, but I'm pretty sure that the "after you have left your seller a positive review" Notes part is either not correct, or they count a positive private review too, as I definitely have received tips without the customer having left a public review, as recently as yesterday, so, at least in theory, they may have left a positive private review, but I tend to think that info simply isn't correct. 

It also wouldn't make sense to not let people tip their sellers if they want to, just because they don't want to leave a review, as leaving feedback is optional, and not leaving feedback doesn't mean someone wasn't happy with the seller. Maybe that note is some old copy-paste text that eloped fact-checking/editing. 

Or it's a bug and people shouldn't be able to leave tips without a positive review first, but can. 😉 

Does anyone know if that the Note from the above Help Center quote is correct and means that if you receive a tip but no public feedback was left, the customer left positive feedback via the private feedback form?

• Like 8
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, miiila said:

Does anyone know if that the Note from the above Help Center quote is correct and means that if you receive a tip but no public feedback was left, the customer left positive feedback via the private feedback form?

I can recall instances that I've received tips but there was no review. Perhaps, it used to be like this? And then now they have to leave a review. Not sure.

Also the ability to tip usually pops up closer to the time after you get to leave a "public" review or mark an order as complete. Because a prompt appears that writes out as "Its customary to leave a tip to your seller" (not verbatim, but thats the idea). The private feedback opportunity appears much later and can be ignored. Prompts/notifications to leave a private review appear again a few days after if you didn't leave one... So I'm not sure. 

• Like 11
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, theratypist said:

Perhaps, it used to be like this? And then now they have to leave a review. Not sure.

6 hours ago, miiila said:

I definitely have received tips without the customer having left a public review, as recently as yesterday,

From my experience, if any change, it would have to be just the other way around, that they had to leave a review at one point, and now don't (and that text didn't get changed). Well, it's not really important, I was just surprised, reading Vickie's quote from the Help Center.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, miiila said:

I'm pretty sure that the "after you have left your seller a positive review" Notes part is either not correct, or they count a positive private review too, as I definitely have received tips without the customer having left a public review, as recently as yesterday, so, at least in theory, they may have left a positive private review, but I tend to think that info simply isn't correct. 

Like @miiila I have had many tips from buyers who did not leave a public review.

• Like 9
  • Up 1

@miiila, @theratypist, & @vickiespencer, This is a result of me mindlessly posting something from the Help Center without thinking of my own experiences! 😅

I have also received many tips in lieu of getting a review. So after reading all of your comments, and remembering my own experiences, I reached out to Fiverr CS to see what they had to say. They pretty much stood by what the Help Center said (see response below). I wasn't satisfied with their answer, so I requested that they look into three recent orders that I had where I received tips without a public review attached to them. CS is investigating whether they have hidden positive reviews attached to them. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Based on my experiences as a buyer, as soon as I hit the "Accept Delivery" button, the system asks for a private review. After that, I can proceed to a public review (or opt out of it). Either way, at that point, I'll get prompted to leave a tip. The funny thing is, after a day or so, I'm asked to leave another private review. So that is 3 reviews for one order. It gets a little tedious, so I can see why most of my repeat buyers are opting out of leaving a review.

image.png.56a2ab776aebd4b6563d25c0acd5bc8c.png

10 hours ago, mae_creativity said:

🙂 Some sellers, including me, have a 'tip' gig. 

Hi @mae_creativity! I just checked out your tip gig and it's so creative! Love it. 😍

I hope you get a "You Rock!" order from that gig (which you can then humbly accept)!

I always wondered what category sellers were putting their tip gigs under. This would be helpful for me because a lot of buyers come after 7 days to complain that they wanted to leave a tip, but couldn't.

I wonder though, is this a legitimate way to get tips? I can see some sellers abusing this type of gig to get payments for a variety of things, not necessarily tips.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vickieito said:

I wonder though, is this a legitimate way to get tips?

I think the Tip Gigs are mostly a remnant from when there was no "tipping function", and people who made any after that, did so, because they saw others having them. After joining Fiverr, I've seen some when I looked at profiles from forum people I read from, but would have felt weird with a Tip Gig myself, so didn't set up one. I guess it is legitimate, since so many Tip Gigs still exist, and sometimes, buyers here ask how to leave a tip after the time window has closed, so there does seem to be a "demand" for them.

However, I'm not quite sure in how far that really aligns with ToS and such, because a Tip Gig vs leaving a tip on an order, kind of boosts a seller's stats "unduly" if the Tip Gig order happens not for some separately rendered service, or because the seller answered questions without opening an order for it, or such, as the seller would have 2x order delivered, delivered on time (and probably immediately = very fast), perhaps two reviews, too, ..., for the same 1 job, so it's kind of an... unintentional stats manipulation, I guess? Personally, I don't mind that, though, if people get orders for their Tip Gigs, awesome for them. 

Asked for advice, my hunch is to say do it if it feels comfortable to you - however, I'd advise against it if you want to present as very professional, maybe are hoping or aiming for TRS, or PRO, or Fiverr Business. Even if many TRSs etc. have Tip Gigs (whether of yonder or new ones), I think it doesn't quite align with Fiverr any longer, at least not on certain levels. I'm rather surprised that/if they are still a thing and not getting "phased out", like Gigs that were "not in the editorial focus".

A maybe helpful image - if you have/had a physical office space, and (would) work there alone, not have employees standing there for you, do you have/would you put a coffee money piggy bank on your counter or desk? 😅

Based on my experiences as a buyer, as soon as I hit the "Accept Delivery" button, the system asks for a private review. After that, I can proceed to a public review (or opt out of it). Either way, at that point, I'll get prompted to leave a tip.

That sounds about right to me, if memory serves well, my last order as a buyer has been a while. Thanks for prodding support and sharing the result of the investigation eventually; while not important, it's interesting in any case!

Edited by miiila
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Well, I finally got an answer from Fiverr CS on this. Here is my initial question:

image.png.2b281a334503cdba8eb2a93cdb54d44a.png

I thought it would be an easy answer, but this is what Fiverr CS said (after many days of investigation):

image.png.3930bc91444ca1dd227248ce6ceec9df.png

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 7

I thought it would be an easy answer, but this is what Fiverr CS said (after many days of investigation):

Thank you for reaching out to them so we can get an official answer, Vickie. But I guess we won't have a straight answer for now. 🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, vickieito said:
On 6/5/2022 at 2:42 AM, mae_creativity said:

🙂 Some sellers, including me, have a 'tip' gig. 

Hi @mae_creativity! I just checked out your tip gig and it's so creative! Love it. 😍

I hope you get a "You Rock!" order from that gig (which you can then humbly accept)!

I always wondered what category sellers were putting their tip gigs under. This would be helpful for me because a lot of buyers come after 7 days to complain that they wanted to leave a tip, but couldn't.

I wonder though, is this a legitimate way to get tips? I can see some sellers abusing this type of gig to get payments for a variety of things, not necessarily tips.

Hi @vickieito🙂 

Here's where the idea for my tip gig came from—When I was a teenager in the 90s, I worked after school at Dominos Pizza in Tel Aviv. for a couple months. Their idea back then was revolutionary: Delivery within 30 minutes--or the pizza is free. 🤯WOW.
My job was to take phone orders, and make pizzas. But only delivery guys got tips.

However, one day a delivery guy came back and handed me 10 Shekels—the customer I had spoken with was in such a good mood, that he tipped both the delivery guy and me as well. Since this had never happened before, the story spread throughout all the Dominos branches.

Here's why I think it happened + what I have to say about tipping: 

When you're in a good mood because you are very happy with something that happened in your life (a new girlfriend/job promotion/etc.),  you feel like making someone else happy too. 

Regarding your question about category . . . I think what matters in terms of a gig that's available for your clients, is that it is seen as one of your gigs on your profile page. In terms of Fiverr not deleting the gig, it should be in a category that they don't have a problem with (not sure what that is).

The last sentence you wrote--I don't know what you mean. Can you explain?

Thank you for hoping I get a 'You Rock!" order. If there's Karma, then one day I will get multiple 'You Rock!" order—because Karma knows how much I 've tipped the pizza delivery guys myself since the 90s.  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2