Do you spend too much time here?

williambryan392

I've been wondering about this myself the last few days.

I decided to stay away from the forum a while ago for various reasons, and came back fairly recently.

I now find myself here most days. It's a pleasant distraction, and I guess like all social media a little addictive. Guess I'm kinda hooked!

So I'm wondering, do you limit your time here? Do you have rules so you remain productive?

I know there are some plugins that limit time on certain sites, I probably need it for here and reddit, any recommendations? 

Or do you treat it like I do, as somewhere to kill time (and sometimes learn) and perhaps spend a bit too much time?

For those of you not making sales, and not taking positive action by learning and more importantly implementing what you've learned, what do you get out of it?

Edited by williambryan392
  • Like 16
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Well...

I just moved cities (okay, over two months ago) and I know no one here, so you could say that I come to the forum for social interaction - also because going out feels like way too much work.)

It's nice during breaks when my brain wants sleep but I'm trying NOT to take a nap. 

(I admit, I love the rare 'drama' that happens.) It's also really interesting to see how others who work on the site are doing (just in general and work-wise.) 

I COULD probably spend less time on here and more time working but I'm pretty productive these days so I think I can let myself have some 'fun'.

• Like 17
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, katakatica said:

so you could say that I come to the forum for social interaction

I'm in the same boat, 3 months for me, in Tbilisi, Georgia at the moment, may I ask what your new city is?

Think I may be heading to Gran Canaria next month.

47 minutes ago, katakatica said:

It's nice during breaks when my brain wants sleep but I'm trying NOT to take a nap. 

47 minutes ago, katakatica said:

(I admit, I love the rare 'drama' that happens.) It's also really interesting to see how others who work on the site are doing (just in general and work-wise.) 

Again, I'm exactly the same!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I carpool to/from my day-job, but that usually means I have a chunk of time before/after I can clock in/out where I'm just waiting. I have permission to use the office space and internet in that wait-time, and 'helping out' around the forums is a decent filler that doesn't disturb anyone else at work.

Do I spend too much time here? Dunno. 

I will say that might be maybe ONE positive thing that came from kicking community-volunteers out of helping. Said volunteers can't contribute how they were use to, so now they spend their time differently. Before the migration, I checked into both the 'Tips' categories near-daily to check for and move topics that shouldn't have been posted in 'Tips'. I often also skimmed-browsed other categories to do the same thing. Now it nearly pointless. Yeah, I could still check and report, but the reporting system is slow, and I almost always type a message about why I'm flagging it, because, if I don't, then frequently nothing's done, which just makes flagging take more time. Thus because I limit my time on the forums, and I do value my time, flagging usually isn't worth my time.

Same thing for typing out brand new custom replies to stuff.

So, rules? If it's not worth my time, a new thread is lucky to get more than a link or copy/paste message from me. (It does make me sympathize with CS's copy/paste a bit more.) I might have a link for nearly every situation, but that's because I value my time.

I don't do plug-ins, so I can't help there.

And I might not be 'making regular sales' but I'm in a situation where Fiverr is the thing going on in the background as a hobby. It's not my main source of income and my 'learning, improving, implementing' are more focused on the day-job.

• Like 16
  • Up 1

3 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Do I spend too much time here?

Please don't spend less time here! The forum would be such a poorer place if you did.

4 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

kicking community-volunteers out

Ah, I wasn't aware of that change, but I was away from the forum I think when the migration/new forum happened. I figured the mods / your involvment was the same as before. 

7 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

It does make me sympathize with CS's copy/paste a bit more.

This is a great point. CS get a hard time, but 99% of my interactions have been perfect. I imagine the CS requests are a lot like the forum and that would get painful so I also sympathise.

9 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

going on in the background as a hobby

I think that's the best way to be with fiverr, or anything you do on the side, it's important to enjoy it!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I use this to kill time mostly. Sometimes jumping into some discussions. Rarely start a topic, unless i see the need.

Its like a coffee break for me.  Sometimes i come here to see some mad max fury. But people are mostly calm, so it doesnt give me the action i need 😄 But sometimes @newsmike drops some bombs. Which is always appreciated.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

may I ask what your new city is?

Stockholm! Looks like I'll be here for a while (though I'm planning several longer trips out of here.) I never really... thought I'd end up in the North because it's cold (and just in general I've never been up North before moving near Malmö a while back.) The expat community isn't as strong here as it is in some other places (like Paris) AND the past few months writing has been crazy, so yeah. The forum it is for social stuff for now. I do miss the sun though, I have to admit!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Definitely too much time here. But I’m usually checking it in between working on my orders when I need to district a little. I spend like 10-15 min while my ink is drying or while scanning my drawings, or generally just to disconnect  while I’m thinking of ideas 

• Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh no I am new but I am guilty >u< Same like Discord I spend too much time reading chats from other people!

I am lonely my irl friends are all living in different countries ;w; But I am a lot less lonely here 😄 

Maybe I should not visit the "all activity" section too much........

• Like 10

2 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

I decided to stay away from the forum a while ago for various reasons, and came back fairly recently.

I did the same a while back and just came back recently as well. Main reason was that the forum is bogged down in spam and the same, repetitive content about ranking gigs, sales down day by day, congratulate me and so on. 

I now find myself here most days. It's a pleasant distraction, and I guess like all social media a little addictive. Guess I'm kinda hooked!

I quit social media a while back. I'm still there for work reasons, but I'm never on there for more than five minutes to do what I have to, then escape the madness. I wrote a post about it here: 

Honestly, the Fiverr Forum is social media. But at least I can use it to put my thoughts to "paper" by writing topics, discussing with other freelancers and get a bit of entertainment. I know, I'm breaking my own rule of no social media here, but I guess you could call it work if you're using the forum for research? 

So I'm wondering, do you limit your time here? Do you have rules so you remain productive?

I know there are some plugins that limit time on certain sites, I probably need it for here and reddit, any recommendations? 

Yes. I never visit the forum until I'm done with all work for the day. That means my orders need to be cleared or at least on schedule. I usually work from 10am - 3pm on Fiverr. After that, I'm just responding to messages. 

Honestly – if you don't have the self-control to limit the use of the forum without a plugin, you're just going to deactivate the plugin anyway. At least, that's what I would have done. I'm not going to let some plugin control when I do stuff. And yes, I might control the plugin, but that means I can also deactivate it. So I think plugins like this are ineffectual. You can just as easily set an alarm if you need a time-reminder. 

For those of you not making sales, and not taking positive action by learning and more importantly implementing what you've learned, what do you get out of it?

I can't speak for that bunch, but I think they are so used to handouts, that they don't know what else to do but to ask other people to do it for them. Try saying that three times fast. Maybe you'll get a conga! 😄 

1 hour ago, williambryan392 said:

Think I may be heading to Gran Canaria next month.

Hit me up when you get here! I live in Las Palmas. 😄 

36 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I do miss the sun though, I have to admit!

I'm from Norway, so I know how you feel. I moved to Gran Canaria. Couldn't take the cold up there anymore. It's depressing at best. When summer hits, I do recommend a trip to Liseberg in Gothenburg, though, if you like that sort of thing. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Not as before, I got really busy this year. Also even worse than the spam posts is the users who just reply "thank you" in a topic that is a question.

Is the internet of things, where people comment without read the things '-'

• Like 10
  • Up 1

I have been taking a break from the FF aka Fiverr Forum. This month has been my best one yet and I do not have the time or energy to spend here. Plus as @mateusblsays: ⬇️

5 hours ago, mateusbl said:

Also even worse than the spam posts is the users who just reply "thank you" in a topic that is a question.

Is the internet of things, where people comment without read the things '-'

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, smashradio said:

Hit me up when you get here! I live in Las Palmas. 😄 

15 hours ago, katakatica said:

Oh nice! I remember someone here said that they lived there a while ago, I wasn't sure who it was, will hit you up for sure!

quit social media a while back. I'm still there for work reasons

ditto

don't have the self-control

Yep I've got an addictive personality, I do things that are both good and bad for me to excess.

• Like 5
  • Up 3

5 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Yep I've got an addictive personality, I do things that are both good and bad for me to excess.

Yeah, I'm like that, too. But I find that whenever something keeps me from enjoying life, it's easy to quit. If it's something truly enjoyable (read: Coca Cola Zero) I'll binge, binge and then binge some more. Perhaps I'll stop when I get my first heart failure. 😆

• Like 6

On 5/31/2022 at 7:47 AM, williambryan392 said:

Honestly, I would personally be on here more, but the Forums limit the amount of replies I can send. Maybe it's because I have a relatively new account.

I do check them out at least once a day though! 😃

Or do you treat it like I do, as somewhere to kill time (and sometimes learn) and perhaps spend a bit too much time?

I mean, not necessarily to kill time, haha, it's just kind of one of my hobbies now. 🤷‍♀️

Lol, I'm trying to learn at least. But mainly I just like talking to people here and creating various topics. People's responses tend to intrigue me. 

• Like 5
  • Up 3

I've been away from the forum for the past several days since I was busy, but here I am, I'm back.

I'm not sure what is seen as "too much time" on the forum, but I'm sure I spend a good amount here. It does take some time recently to look for topics that does interest me, but when I do it's fun. I come here a lot when I am taking a break at work. I've been hanging out in the forum long enough to a point where I see some of the forum visitors as my Fiverr buddies, and I'd love to meet them in person some day or at least have a chat online or something someday.

• Like 7
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3