My first 25 days – How I’m getting the most out of Fiverr Forum

Hi there! I saw several posts from newbies asking about the benefits of the forum, so I thought it might be helpful to share what I’m doing to get the most out of it and hopefully get others to talk more about this topic. I am also new to the forum. 

I made my first post on May 3rd, so I’ve been active on the forum for 25 days now. This is actually my second attempt at it—I signed up for the forum five months ago, took one look, and ran away. There was too much information (and misinformation). Too much spam. And it was really hard to find the answers because as a new seller, I was pretty clueless.

This time around it has been a much better experience because I learned how to filter out a lot the noise and concentrate on the content that I find most meaningful. 

First, I want to clarify two things:

1)    Being active on the forum will not get you more orders or more gig impressions. 

The forum is a great source of information and a fun place to interact with others who are using the Fiverr platform, but it will not result in more orders or get you more sales. If anything, more time on the forum simply means less time that you could be working on your business.

2)    As a newbie to the forum, your first priority should not be about making posts.

I discovered this quickly because when I made my first post, I received only one response and a confused-faced emoji. This taught me that I would be better off following conversations, responding to others’ posts, and observing more experienced members on the forum. So far, I’ve only started five conversations and out of the five, three could probably be deleted because they aren’t providing any value to the forum.

So, how can a newbie get the most out of the forum? 

As a newbie, I spend most of my time on the forum browsing, observing, reacting, following, bookmarking, and verifying. It helps me and it may help you, too!

1) Browsing – Instead of posting your question, why not look it up in search on the forum or the Help Center? Most likely someone has already asked the same question and you can find your answer much quicker by searching. I see many newbies posting a question, waiting around, and then reposting the same question again a week later. They could have easily looked up answers to their questions in a matter of minutes.

2) Observing – Learn how to act on the forum by watching others. How are others posting and reacting? Pay attention to the posts that get called “spam,” down voted, a confused-face emoji, or negative/interesting responses from other forum members. Look at how others react to your posts as well. Try to find out why others are reacting in negative ways, and avoid making similar posts.

3) Reacting – You can react to posts with emojis, up voting, down voting, or, if you encounter spam, you can report it. All of these reactions (when used responsibly) add to conversations and creates value for other forum members.

4) Following & Bookmarking – When you like someone, follow them. When I follow someone, it’s because they’ve impressed me in some way. When you find good content, bookmark it in your browser or follow the conversation. Following good content is a great way to filter out a lot of the nonsense that is on the forum. Bookmarking it will help you retrieve that content again when you need it.

5) Verifying – Just because it is on the forum doesn’t mean that it's true. If you read something, look into the person who made the post. Do they have authority to make the claims that they make in their posts? Are they using credible sources, such as the Help Center?  I find it alarming that many newbies are so willing to take advice from someone with zero experience that they turn down the advice of the more experienced members of the forum. If these newbies just took a little time to look into the backgrounds of those who were posting, they would have a better idea on who they could trust.

Doing these five things have really helped me to create order out of all the information that is out there on the forum. There really are nuggets to be found, so it’s worth it to take the time to search out good content and good people to follow. 

Now it’s your turn. 😊 I wrote this post with less than a month’s worth of experience on the forum so I’d love to hear from the rest of you! 

How has the forum been for you? And how are you getting the most out of it? 

• Like 124
  • Haha 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 24
  • Thanks 24

On 5/28/2022 at 3:17 AM, djwaruna said:

Such a valuable post 😍

Thanks @djwaruna! It looks like you have been on the forum for over 5 years! I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you get the most out of the forum!

I think the biggest benefit so far is that I've been debunking a lot of myths and biases that I thought were truths.

I've been reading a lot of articles on the forum, especially this article right here on posting (thanks @miiila!) ... but I still feel I need more time learning, following, and responding to others' post before I initiate too many conversations on my own.

I still can't figure out the differences between all the different categories. For example, "Fiverr Stories" and "Your Fiverr Experience" seems kind of the same to me. The Ranting Pot seems pretty straight forward and Casual Conversations seems pretty safe for posting.

Right now, it's much easier to just jump into conversations that have already been started. And instead of just following or answering questions from other newbies, I'm starting to have actual conversations with people. So that's been a new and fun thing for me too.  😊 

• Like 67
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, vickieito said:

I still can't figure out the differences between all the different categories. For example, "Fiverr Stories" and "Your Fiverr Experience" seems kind of the same to me.

I am very noob to answering this type of issue. But normally to me, I think stories are just like stories, for entertainment purposes. But in the case of experience, it should be for motivations and guidelines. Maybe I am wrong.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Great advice from a newbie! That's rare! 

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you! I've been sharing guides and tried to be helpful on the forum for years. Sometimes, I've given up and not logged on for months, simply because of the amount of spam/bad advice and pointless posts. 

So you're not the only one. 

I'm glad you're putting the forum to good use! 

• Like 40
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

On 5/27/2022 at 11:42 PM, vickieito said:

How has the forum been for you? And how are you getting the most out of it? 

First of all, thanks for being here after your first attempt. It's delightful to see a meaningful content written by a new user.
I signed up for the Forum in 2020, I suppose. Started to read different topics and threads, learnt from different users - many of them are still active, others left. I remember my first question ever. I was anxious because of a buyer who didn't leave a review. Well, some members correctly pointed out that I was being too pushy and my attitude was unprofessional. That was a great lesson to me - I keep it close to my heart.

Nowadays I still browse the forum, mostly reacting to interesting topics. It's been a while since I reply daily or almost daily - I used to do it months ago - but I'm still up for interesting conversation and for learning. 
So, wrapping it up, here's what the forum taught me:

• to listen to advice and don't take comments too personally - people could seem rude but you should see things in perspective;
  • to avoid scammers on Fiverr;
  • to stop listening to bad advice and to have a critical thinking mindset;

I'm still learning how to say "no" (thanks to smashradio and many others for the beautiful threads about this topic). 

• Like 38
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, smashradio said:

Me too! Just easing my way back in to the quagmire of drivel hoping to find a decent nugget that makes visiting here worthwhile. Well done to @vickieito for being succinct and sharing a post of value. If only all newbies could say something so constructive...!    

• Like 36
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

On 5/29/2022 at 1:40 AM, dev_mh said:

I think stories are just like stories, for entertainment purposes. But in the case of experience, it should be for motivations and guidelines. 

I like this explanation! That means I've posted in the right category ... I think! 😉

On 5/29/2022 at 11:31 AM, smashradio said:

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you! I've been sharing guides and tried to be helpful on the forum for years. Sometimes, I've given up and not logged on for months, simply because of the amount of spam/bad advice and pointless posts. 

Thanks @smashradio for the personal welcome! I'm following you and I've bookmarked a lot of your content. I really appreciate the time you take to explain everything in detail. These are my top three favorite!

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/256924-my-top-8-red-flags-when-selling-on-fiverr/

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/282129-the-biggest-seller-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them/

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/263159-many-clicks-but-no-sales-read-this-a-guide-to-improve-conversion-rate/

On 5/29/2022 at 3:19 PM, alphagev said:

I remember my first question ever. I was anxious because of a buyer who didn't leave a review. Well, some members correctly pointed out that I was being too pushy and my attitude was unprofessional. That was a great lesson to me - I keep it close to my heart.

It's scary making that first post! Some newbies come to the forum expecting the forum members to take their side. I'm glad you were humble enough to take the criticism! 😊 I've been following you too. Thanks for making the forum a better place!

On 5/29/2022 at 3:19 PM, alphagev said:

So, wrapping it up, here's what the forum taught me:

• to listen to advice and don't take comments too personally - people could seem rude but you should see things in perspective;
  • to avoid scammers on Fiverr;
  • to stop listening to bad advice and to have a critical thinking mindset;

I'm still learning how to say "no" (thanks to smashradio and many others for the beautiful threads about this topic).

Thanks for your key learnings! I think you are the first one.

...where's @smashradio's article about "no'? I found many articles on the art of saying "no" from @imagination7413

On 5/29/2022 at 6:08 PM, fiveroptic1 said:

Me too! Just easing my way back in to the quagmire of drivel hoping to find a decent nugget that makes visiting here worthwhile. Well done to @vickieito for being succinct and sharing a post of value. If only all newbies could say something so constructive...!    

Thanks @fiveroptic1! I saw you on a lot of older threads but not on recent ones until now. 😊 Good to see you! 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

I am not a Veteran on Forum. I am just New Here but I can actually tell you some of the best things about this Forum.

Freelancing Community is not really found near me, so it is really helpful and joyful for me to talk to the people with same interest and working on the same platform. Most of Users on Forum have a Single Role, so No One is bigger or Boss. Everyone is like Colleague to one another.

We encounter same type of issues and we express them through our posts and other person finds that relatable. There are some people working on Fiverr more than years so they really help newbies like me.

Overall it is like a Office Canteen: Where we talk about work, client, Stories, Achievements, Incidents and Celebrate Each other.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, vickieito said:

...where's @smashradio's article about "no'? I found many articles on the art of saying "no" from @imagination7413.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the content! 

I'm not sure if I wrote a topic on saying "no", but I did respond to a topic the other day about it. I just can't find it 😄 But I've posted a lot, so who knows... 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

When I first logged in to this forum. I am following the points you have made. This is why I was able to avoid misinformation. Thank you for tidying up the points. Your post will be useful for any new user. Those who do not understand what to do in the forum. I have also benefited a lot😊

Edited by mdminhaz05
  • Like 32
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...